No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North neighbor must have got a new pallet of pistol ammo…… he should be about out soon… gezzzz

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      North neighbor must have got a new pallet of pistol ammo…… he should be about out soon… gezzzz
      I think we’ve all hunted next to that guy Kyle. I was so thankful for the ammo shortage 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        That drives me crazy

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wished I’d had a cameraman this evening. Just a lone 3 pt but a lot of learning!

1. They will climb a cliff like goat… through the nastiest briars and never make a sound

2. Thermals and current trump wind direction
          - he came in from what I’d checked all evening as dead down wind… calm as can be. Got north and started to get alert (I’ve never been in here in my life hunting)

Checked with milk week…. NOW he’s dead down wind… North of me!

3. When I got pics of him in pen it took him 27 minutes to close last 200 yards and he made a complete circle of it. ZERO PRESSURE on this property. It’s just what a yearling has been conditioned to to in this jungle of barrel watchers
          Attached Files

Comment

Had some funny looking birds show up at one of my set ups in Polk/Trinity County. Hopefully they’ll clean up all of the 2 week old soured sprouting road corn.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              Had some funny looking birds show up at one of my set ups in Polk/Trinity County. Hopefully they’ll clean up all of the 2 week old soured sprouting road corn.
              Very cool

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome. Seems like lots of Turkey this year. By chance you hunting near county line tosd near the old Box Car club?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  Awesome. Seems like lots of Turkey this year. By chance you hunting near county line tosd near the old Box Car club?
                  I’m not sure where the Box Car Club is. The Killa probably knows though. I’m next to Kickapoo Hunting Club.

Comment

Went to the lease in honey Island last night, sat this morning till 10. Nada, packed up and came home. Not even any fresh tracks after the rain. Drained the camper to get ready for the freeze next weekend. Might go back for new years, if not then that's a wrap for me this year.

Comment

Anvils deer report… met with Polk biologist yesterday. Great guy. We did the quick lap around the place. He was able to shed some light on my concerns regarding deer numbers on my place, which, to an extent makes some sense. Not sure it solves the full mystery, but it does make sense that I have made drastic improvements to my place since buying the first 150 acres 15 years ago. The reality is, place was an overgrown abandoned farm… some of the old fields were better for deer as they were… I converted some to pine (mistake) and some to a hay field. It’s obvious the pines are now at that “choke out” phase. And we knew the last 100 acres we just bought is “pine desert” (already have a bid for a good timber harvest). So from a deer standpoint, the habitat has had some negative changes and what we added was added with the understanding that a timber harvest was needed. There is no doubt the cutting will help. I still think laying off does is the right choice for me. Hopefully by summer we have the skidders and shears on deck and we will go from here. I am banging this out from a box blind and I feel fortunate to have the ability to be here.. gobs of deer or not.

Comment

I’m not sure where the Box Car Club is. The Killa probably knows though. I’m next to Kickapoo Hunting Club.
                        Basically where 287 crosses over Trinity/Polk line

Comment

So this week I’ve had increasing daytime feeding activity since the temp has dropped. I pulled cards yesterday and actually had one of my shooters in one of my feed pens at 5:00pm the day before. I turned my slingers off a week ago hoping that the hogs will come back and clean up all of the old corn. I’ve had hand corn in the road sitting for 2 weeks that needs to be cleaned up as well. Deer are still eating it but they just nibble and stay for a few minutes. I have 2 feed pens that both have free choice gravity corn and protein feeders. The deer still prefer the corn over the protein but I expect that to change once winter really sets in. Overall bucks still appear to be in good shape and don’t have that “ post rut” look needing to put a lot of weight back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                            Basically where 287 crosses over Trinity/Polk line
                            I’m south of that in between Onalaska and Groveton on 3459.

Comment

I’m south of that in between Onalaska and Groveton on 3459.
                              I see. I have know of a good group of Turkey closer to 287 for many years. Kinda odd that have done well in that particular area as it’s no different than the rest of Polk and Trinity county in regards to habitat. I pull for the birds! Would love to see more.

Comment

Wow… and just like thst I had my best sit of all year… Dec 17. 15 deer of which one was a great buck! I saw the bulk on way out from stand. Caught the last light in hayfield where a buck was dogging some does. Had him in crosshairs, but decided it was prob past legal light. Maybe give it a whirl in am? 15 deer! That’s more than what I saw the entire first week of rifle season!!

Comment

Working...
                                X