No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frosty at the house this morning. Few more of those to knock back the browse and they will have to move a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      Frosty at the house this morning. Few more of those to knock back the browse and they will have to move a little bit.
      On the 23rd the weather forecast is a low of 25 and high of 37. That should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        On the 23rd the weather forecast is a low of 25 and high of 37. That should help.
        That is to cold

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
          That is to cold

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
          X2.....25 is a bad deal in a tree climber or a leaner stand...lol.
          You got to be tough for sure!!

Comment

And the acorns fell. They fell by the bushel for months and months and the deer they ate. But then one day a rain came. It rained and rained and rained, washing all the acorns away!!! And then it got cold, and the deer were thrust upon their feet, forced to emerge from those once acorn filled woods. Cold, wet, hungry and perhaps exhausted from foolishly frolicking with the ladies back in November , they had only one choice left. And in that mid-December morning, with the temperatures holding at a chilly SE Tx 30 degrees they emerged from their once magical hiding places and converged on these odd looking corn dispensing machines scattered throughout the woods and openings.

This season has been enjoyable from the standpoint of following the deer movement pontifications here and on FB Groups. But at least you guys have hope?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
              And the acorns fell. They fell by the bushel for months and months and the deer they ate. But then one day a rain came. It rained and rained and rained, washing all the acorns away!!! And then it got cold, and the deer were thrust upon their feet, forced to emerge from those once acorn filled woods. Cold, wet, hungry and perhaps exhausted from foolishly frolicking with the ladies back in November , they had only one choice left. And in that mid-December morning, with the temperatures holding at a chilly SE Tx 30 degrees they emerged from their once magical hiding places and converged on these odd looking corn dispensing machines scattered throughout the woods and openings.

This season has been enjoyable from the standpoint of following the deer movement pontifications here and on FB Groups. But at least you guys have hope?
              Haha.

I am imagining Morgan Freeman's voice reading it.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                Yes sir, day 1 of 11 off for me. I think i might sit that one out though, too cold for me. Besides all of the deer in East Texas are gone just ask Anvil

Comment

Yes sir, day 1 of 11 off for me. I think i might sit that one out though, too cold for me. Besides all of the deer in East Texas are gone just ask Anvil
                  Yes, that is my theory, numbers are down (not gone). I could be wrong about numbers, but I am fairly confident movement will not break wide open in mid-December no matter what happens. Has it ever? Now, after Xmas through end of season, thats a different story.

Comment

Great timing on your days off and yes that is cold. I think I’ll try rattling one up…….with my knees. LOL

Comment

Why are there so many daytime photos of people hunting in East Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                        Why are there so many daytime photos of people hunting in East Texas?
                        Uh maybe because it’s deer season and daytime is when we hunt deer? IDK. Why do you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          Yes, that is my theory, numbers are down (not gone). I could be wrong about numbers, but I am fairly confident movement will not break wide open in mid-December no matter what happens. Has it ever? Now, after Xmas through end of season, thats a different story.
                          I know it is all relative to the area but we are on fairly small place, ~700 acres with 7 members and we are surronded by large MLD clubs. Pre-Thanksgiving I had 12 sits and averaged 9 deer per sit with 18 different bucks recorded. Hard to isolate how many individual doe but for sure in one evening at Thanksgiving between 3 of us on the lease we counted 16 different does. I haven't always kept as detailed of notes but those numbers aren't down by any means for us, I would say its been one of our best years for seeing deer. If anything is missing its the top end deer.

After Thanksgiving it got hot and everything is green still for the most part, my pasture at home needs to be mowed right now when normally after I mow in October it stays down and dies off. It's the same thing in the woods, there is so much for the deer to eat they don't have to move far and with the pressure they have been feeling since October they aren't going to. So yea I believe with a couple of good frost to knock back the browse the hunting will improve again.

Comment

Gathered a lot of useful info this afternoon. Had all afternoon free, so an actually put on my hunting clothes and grabbed my bow to go scout and possibly hang a platform for the upcoming weather. Going after “main event, I went in with bow in hand with plan to stay on the south border and go as close to my sanctuary as I dared then head north till I found what I wanted to see. Been hearing logging on south neighbor so figured I might see that, if not to deep

Got about 3/4 way in and found a cool site! An obvious fight location since after the rain! You could see where hooves were dug in, leaves tore up and sand thrown everywhere on top of leaves. And on a faint trail from there I seen a line of large rubs and scrapes headed towards the border at about as far as I wanted to go.

Issue #1: neighbor has a son that is…… different. They give him things to do to keep him out of trouble, so he has been building a new 4 wire fence along the sanctuary to keep the cattle that nobody in that entire area has out. And where he got tires of working he left the rest of fence gone…. And THATS were they are crossing!!! Absolutely no tree remotely climbable there. South wind I’ll have options… as long as it blows. Any calm day is a no go

Used that trail info to put pieces together that put him at a scrape I catch him on often, usually 30min-1 hour before sunrise. And from that scrape down a rim of a hill to scent check the feed pen… which has deer in it but all at night cause THAT neighbor has a new feeder on the actual north fence.

Gonna use wind and thermals to keep my scent HOPEFULLY in the creek and try and catch him on the brush line along creek headed to scrape ( lots of deer use it)

Deer are so easy to hunt…. It’s people that get in the way.

…. Don’t want to go to far east cause that neighbor will be sighting in his pistols, shotguns and a cannon starting at 4:30-6:00 Saturday…. He don’t ever see many deer on his place

Comment

Hunted small acreage the last 3 days at the house. I can also watch neighbors cow pasture with scattered oaks, a large mature oak flat to the West and a fallow field to the South. Hadn't seen more than 5 deer in 3 days. 4 of those were bucks yesterday evening hitting protein and a corn feeder. This morning with the weather change, saw at least 30 different deer, they moved from daylight until around 10:00 so hopefully things are about to get good. Just checked trail cam and had bucks and does eating together over a corn pile. Havent seen anything good this year as of yet, have passed a wide 6 and a marginal 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                                Hunted small acreage the last 3 days at the house. I can also watch neighbors cow pasture with scattered oaks, a large mature oak flat to the West and a fallow field to the South. Hadn't seen more than 5 deer in 3 days. 4 of those were bucks yesterday evening hitting protein and a corn feeder. This morning with the weather change, saw at least 30 different deer, they moved from daylight until around 10:00 so hopefully things are about to get good. Just checked trail cam and had bucks and does eating together over a corn pile. Havent seen anything good this year as of yet, have passed a wide 6 and a marginal 10.
                                Great report. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X