East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    I think you and I are in agreement on this and have discussed it before.

Fortunately for our family place in AnCo the weather was real not conducive to deer harvest this season, and I saw a few more does this year than last while hunting there, so I anticipate better numbers next year.

I have and will continue to pester the local TPWD biologist to lower then doe season length back to 4 days from 16. With all the small properties in east Texas, and people hunting said smaller properties, that's just too much pressure on the deer.
    This is interesting. I'm on a new place in ETX and was able to take a nice 8 pt on halloween weekend. I'm supposed to get an anterless tag used up (MLDP), but I have nothing but 2.5 - 4.5 y/o bucks on camera (not complaining but just an observation). If the lease manager told me I had to go shoot a doe, I'm not sure I would be able to. Be interesting to see if numbers get better once it actually gets cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      I think you and I are in agreement on this and have discussed it before.

Fortunately for our family place in AnCo the weather was real not conducive to deer harvest this season, and I saw a few more does this year than last while hunting there, so I anticipate better numbers next year.

I have and will continue to pester the local TPWD biologist to lower then doe season length back to 4 days from 16. With all the small properties in east Texas, and people hunting said smaller properties, that's just too much pressure on the deer.
      No doubt. I have to keep it real… the mass crop def made sightings tougher, but I am not just gathering data from one year, one ranch or even just during hunting season. Seems like hunters are reporting many more bucks being seen (not necessarily older/mature) than does. I know this is the case with one large well ran MLD club I stay in contact with… they are seeing 5/1 … that can’t be good. But, they are having a good season with mature bucks… deer born 5 plus years ago.
      Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 12-06-2022, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
        Go back to my posts a few years ago about my observations regarding downward deer numbers in my little corner of Polk County. The trend has been moving down in many areas (not just my place)… but largely ignored because good bucks were being taken fairly consistently. No one concerned themselves with numbers and the full blown campaign against the does continued (and continues). Wait until next season and season after that if you think this season was bad. It’s easy to kid yourself and believe there are heaps of deer hinging in acorn flats, but that does not explain why you don’t see them at all or in off season. I know this opinion is not all inclusive, sone areas of east Tx are fine. But, think about it, for about 15 years it’s been open season on does and at some point that has to catch up in places.
        I agree with this 100%.
        I bought my place in Leon County in 2016, deer numbers were ok but not over run, we decided not to take any does to try to get the numbers up.
        We haven’t taken many bucks, only a spike in the last 2 seasons.
        We still haven’t taken a doe, but the numbers are going down.
        Between the coyotes eating the fawn crop and neighbors shooting way too many does is what I think the main problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
          This is interesting. I'm on a new place in ETX and was able to take a nice 8 pt on halloween weekend. I'm supposed to get an anterless tag used up (MLDP), but I have nothing but 2.5 - 4.5 y/o bucks on camera (not complaining but just an observation). If the lease manager told me I had to go shoot a doe, I'm not sure I would be able to. Be interesting to see if numbers get better once it actually gets cold.
          You observations are in line with what I mentioned above and whst I am seeing on my 300 acres with exception to I do see a small group of does at night on one of our many feeders located throughout farm. Had I wanted to kill a doe in rifle season, I could have, but there were not many sightings. I did see more small bucks than does.

In regards to getting better when it gets cold, does deer hunting in east Tx ever get better in December, regardless of weather?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
            I agree with this 100%.
            I bought my place in Leon County in 2016, deer numbers were ok but not over run, we decided not to take any does to try to get the numbers up.
            We haven’t taken many bucks, only a spike in the last 2 seasons.
            We still haven’t taken a doe, but the numbers are going down.
            Between the coyotes eating the fawn crop and neighbors shooting way too many does is what I think the main problem is.
            That’s the case with my “study” we never were overrun, but over the last few years it just tanked. Neighbors are not abusive, but does are shot. It does not take too many legally harvested does to start eroding a base IF the base is not strong to begin with and outlining factors such as road kill, predators and poaching are factored in. Then take this not only a few years, but over a decade plus and you could quickly see how possibly numbers are down in certain areas.

Comment

Dont forget the two extreme winters we have had in deep East Texas for two yrs in a row. I think that knocked them back more than we know. Coyotes are as numerous and healthy as i have ever seen them. Deer had a couple tough winters and predators had a couple great winters.

Undoubtedly not the number of deer we had fives seasons ago. The farming antlers that came with the 13” rule had numbers booming going into those bad winters. Even without the winters the bubble was going to burst. East Texas can only feed deer certain times of year. Sunlight does not reach the ground across the landscape for grasses that can sustain numbers in East Texas like it can in other parts of the state. Herds in pockets of East Texas can make it, but behind the pine curtain we are not built for numbers.

If u want to shoot more deer though, just pay the state to join MLD and you can hunt earlier and later than those of us that dont junp on the wagon and increase your odds. They will get hungry in late January and you will be able to whack all the starving pregnant does you want.

Comment

You observations are in line with what I mentioned above and whst I am seeing on my 300 acres with exception to I do see a small group of does at night on one of our many feeders located throughout farm. Had I wanted to kill a doe in rifle season, I could have, but there were not many sightings. I did see more small bucks than does.

In regards to getting better when it gets cold, does deer hunting in east Tx ever get better in December, regardless of weather?
                Generally I would say no, I'm talking about seeing doe on camera period. Regardless of time of day. My spots are setup to try and target bucks that are evading pressure, so that probably factors in as well.

My guess is that doe groups have been able to lock down on very tight home ranges with all the acorns and fresh browse growing right now. Seems like deer are getting a reprieve from the drought this summer. I've got cell cameras in east texas and central texas (fayette county) and feeders are totally dead right now across the board which is unusual. Food plot isn't getting any action either. Tells me there is an abundance of food right now.

Be interested to see what numbers look like next year.

Comment

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
                  Dont forget the two extreme winters we have had in deep East Texas for two yrs in a row. I think that knocked them back more than we know. Coyotes are as numerous and healthy as i have ever seen them. Deer had a couple tough winters and predators had a couple great winters.

Undoubtedly not the number of deer we had fives seasons ago. The farming antlers that came with the 13” rule had numbers booming going into those bad winters. Even without the winters the bubble was going to burst. East Texas can only feed deer certain times of year. Sunlight does not reach the ground across the landscape for grasses that can sustain numbers in East Texas like it can in other parts of the state. Herds in pockets of East Texas can make it, but behind the pine curtain we are not built for numbers.

If u want to shoot more deer though, just pay the state to join MLD and you can hunt earlier and later than those of us that dont junp on the wagon and increase your odds. They will get hungry in late January and you will be able to whack all the starving pregnant does you want.
                  This was my thinking when I posted about MLD a month ago on this thread.

J

Comment

I’m not in the piney woods and have a lot of browse, plus I have wild ryegrass all over the entire place, we plant oats and feed year round.
                    We hunted in Gillespie county for 22 years on one place and never seen or heard a coyote, they were trapped out because of the sheep and goat business, there was always a real good fawn crop, and when they eradicated the screw worms in the early seventies the population exploded.
                    I have properties in Leon, Burleson and Coleman counties and everyone I talk to says they have never seen so many coyotes, along with me.

Comment

I am not sure the extreme winter killed as many deer as folks like to think, if anything it killed older deer. But then again, did it have to kill that many for that one/two punch we are seeing?

Comment

I am in the coyotes are out of control in East Tx group. They simply do not get the pressure they do further west. The ones on our North Newton county lease are of the 40-50lb type. Huge dogs and easily take down fawns. My opinion is to also do away with the 13" rule to allow for younger inferior bucks to be taken and then everyone will stop killing does. Correct the imbalance of doe/buck ratio. We are past the time when no one managed and shot everything. This was why they introduced the 13" rule. People are always going to kill for some meat no matter how you look at it, it just depends on what they can kill. Or get rid of the "spike" and just allow two bucks. Some of my thoughts anyway.

Comment

I am not sure the extreme winter killed as many deer as folks like to think, if anything it killed older deer. But then again, did it have to kill that many for that one/two punch we are seeing?
                          I agree the freeze had zero effect on our older bucks as far as we can tell. All showed back on camera the following season. We have a few that are in the 7-10yo range(or older).

Comment

Originally posted by East6101 View Post
                            I agree the freeze had zero effect on our older bucks as far as we can tell. All showed back on camera the following season. We have a few that are in the 7-10yo range(or older).
                            Freeze doesn't have to kill deer directly to kill deer. It hammers food sources in habitat that is not adapted for deep freezes. Causes deer to expand home ranges looking for food and reduces cover. Both of which make for easy predator pickings.

I'm not sure what to do with coyotes in ETX. They are hard enough to hunt where you can see, much less where you can't see 20 yards clearly.

Maybe stick a cell cam way up in a tree and put some trap sets out that are more or less permanent? Know that you have to "examine" traps every 36 hours, not sure if a cellular camera meets that criteria or not. Just have to be able to make a last minute trip to dispatch the critters you catch so they don't suffer.

Comment

I agree it seems coyote numbers are up, but based on some studies I've read coyotes breed to prey capacity. So if white tail deer were the primary prey lower deer numbers should lower the predator numbers.
                              I do think the combination of predators, hard winters, doe harvest, and a few other factors have lowered the overall deer numbers in my areas.
                              My cameras, deer sightings, number of deer I see on the side of the road at night, and even the number of shots I heard opening weekend ( or lack there of ) of gun season support my theory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                                Freeze doesn't have to kill deer directly to kill deer. It hammers food sources in habitat that is not adapted for deep freezes. Causes deer to expand home ranges looking for food and reduces cover. Both of which make for easy predator pickings.

I'm not sure what to do with coyotes in ETX. They are hard enough to hunt where you can see, much less where you can't see 20 yards clearly.

Maybe stick a cell cam way up in a tree and put some trap sets out that are more or less permanent? Know that you have to "examine" traps every 36 hours, not sure if a cellular camera meets that criteria or not. Just have to be able to make a last minute trip to dispatch the critters you catch so they don't suffer.
                                I think trapping is the only reliable way to hunt yotes in east Texas. I've tried calling with very limited success even in hay fields or clear cuts. I'm a very poorly trained trapper but I try.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X