No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took Bee bop yesterday evening. Seen a small 6 and another tail flashing. Neighbor to the east shot no less than 6,500 rounds of pistol in mag dump fashion from 4:00-5:15. Both deer on video bugged out at the blast. Same set up at 8:30pm main event was on camera and later “copy cat”

Did a hang and hunt on another property this evening and seen 2 doe and a legit 4pt….. maybe a 5 1.5yo buck. Did exactly what i hoped… just wrong buck…. Just as easily could have been the right buck!

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
      Went and sat yesterday. Had one doe show up, but pulled cards and had 6 doe back on the protein feeder the night before for a while had over 20 pics of them. No more than 1 picture had been taken each day for the last month. Sometimes 0. So it looks like maybe the acorns may be finally going away
      Still have tons of trees dropping acorns on all the properties I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

My deer are just nibbling a little corn but they are piling in the food plots. I'm seeing mature bucks every sit.

Comment

my son crossbowed an old tank of a buck saturday night, 3 of our shooters still havent come back to the corn though, been gone for about 2 weeks now.

i will post about his hunt here in a little bit.

Comment

I don't have a single daylight picture of A deer... not just no buck pictures... ZERO daylight pics. 1000000 nightly pictures of my target and all his ladies though

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              My deer are just nibbling a little corn but they are piling in the food plots. I'm seeing mature bucks every sit.
              Whatcha got planted in the flood plots? Seems like those would be the ticket this time of year.

Originally posted by Brian243 View Post
              I don't have a single daylight picture of A deer... not just no buck pictures... ZERO daylight pics. 1000000 nightly pictures of my target and all his ladies though
              I feel like the lack of any real cold weather is keeping them from moving during the daylight.

Comment

I would really like to have a discussion on food plots. How to do it. What to plant. When to plant it. All of these things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know nothing on the matter and I am tired of spending a lot of money on corn that no deer eat.

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
                  I would really like to have a discussion on food plots. How to do it. What to plant. When to plant it. All of these things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know nothing on the matter and I am tired of spending a lot of money on corn that no deer eat.

Well, Duh... go start you a thread and get a discussion going. Don't have to take this one sideways with that...

Comment

Slowest season I can remember in many years. I have hunted acorn flats, thickets, feeders, clear cuts, and pipeline areas. Deer sightings are few and far between.

Comment

Make sure to do some searches in the Around the Campfire forum.

Also, youtube is your friend on this.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        Slowest season I can remember in many years. I have hunted acorn flats, thickets, feeders, clear cuts, and pipeline areas. Deer sightings are few and far between.
                        Agree on this..think the deer just vanished. Had one good hunt on a cold evening in a foodplot. Very strange. Have barely seen any hogs which makes no sense. Leon County.

Comment

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
                          Here you go man. A wealth of knowledge in this group.
                          Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                            Go back to my posts a few years ago about my observations regarding downward deer numbers in my little corner of Polk County. The trend has been moving down in many areas (not just my place)… but largely ignored because good bucks were being taken fairly consistently. No one concerned themselves with numbers and the full blown campaign against the does continued (and continues). Wait until next season and season after that if you think this season was bad. It’s easy to kid yourself and believe there are heaps of deer hinging in acorn flats, but that does not explain why you don’t see them at all or in off season. I know this opinion is not all inclusive, sone areas of east Tx are fine. But, think about it, for about 15 years it’s been open season on does and at some point that has to catch up in places.

Comment

If you're in east Texas put out about 1 ton of lime per acre.

Plant Buck forage Oat and fertilize and enjoy

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                                Go back to my posts a few years ago about my observations regarding downward deer numbers in my little corner of Polk County. The trend has been moving down in many areas (not just my place)… but largely ignored because good bucks were being taken fairly consistently. No one concerned themselves with numbers and the full blown campaign against the does continued (and continues). Wait until next season and season after that if you think this season was bad. It’s easy to kid yourself and believe there are heaps of deer hinging in acorn flats, but that does not explain why you don’t see them at all or in off season. I know this opinion is not all inclusive, sone areas of east Tx are fine. But, think about it, for about 15 years it’s been open season on does and at some point that has to catch up in places.
                                I think you and I are in agreement on this and have discussed it before.

Fortunately for our family place in AnCo the weather was real not conducive to deer harvest this season, and I saw a few more does this year than last while hunting there, so I anticipate better numbers next year.

I have and will continue to pester the local TPWD biologist to lower then doe season length back to 4 days from 16. With all the small properties in east Texas, and people hunting said smaller properties, that's just too much pressure on the deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X