East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
    i haven’t seen any older bucks in person or on camera for the last two years i really think we lost a ton of old bucks in that dang freeze.
    it hit really late when the bucks that were run down from the rut where in the worst shape of the year.
    My old bucks made it weeks passed the freeze. I had them on camera till end of February.
    Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    Everyone wants to point to extreme weather conditions for lower deer numbers …. Ice storms, wicked dry summers. No one ever stood a minute and considers the number of does taken ever year for over a decade. It’s catching up… a lower fawn crop 5 or 6 years ago will statistically result in fewer mature deer from that class. Sure hot summers and ice storms have an effect, but it’s not the only reason.
    I take a doe a year. Last year I shot 2. Those where the only deer killed. Hasn't been a buck shot in 3. Like I said above the bucks I'm missing, I've watched the last 3 and 4 years they were regulars.

Until this year we only had one hunting neighbor and the area these deer hung is complete opposite side. They literally had 1000 acres of replanted pine without a hunter and us. I don't hear shots in that area either.

I've normally passed several legal bucks by now. I haven't seen one to pass and might have 2 or 3 on camera.

In 5 sits the last few days over feeders, corn piles and acorn groves I saw 13 does, 2 buttons and what appeared to be a broke off 6 pt.

I know stuff happens and a chupacabra or something could have killed a few bucks. But all those up and comers are Mia also
    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      My old bucks made it weeks passed the freeze. I had them on camera till end of February. I take a doe a year. Last year I shot 2. Those where the only deer killed. Hasn't been a buck shot in 3. Like I said above the bucks I'm missing, I've watched the last 3 and 4 years they were regulars.

Until this year we only had one hunting neighbor and the area these deer hung is complete opposite side. They literally had 1000 acres of replanted pine without a hunter and us. I don't hear shots in that area either.

I've normally passed several legal bucks by now. I haven't seen one to pass and might have 2 or 3 on camera.

In 5 sits the last few days over feeders, corn piles and acorn groves I saw 13 does, 2 buttons and what appeared to be a broke off 6 pt.

I know stuff happens and a chupacabra or something could have killed a few bucks. But all those up and comers are Mia also
      Abducted by Aliens I tell you

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        Abducted by Aliens I tell you

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
        Illegal ones on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          My old bucks made it weeks passed the freeze. I had them on camera till end of February. I take a doe a year. Last year I shot 2. Those where the only deer killed. Hasn't been a buck shot in 3. Like I said above the bucks I'm missing, I've watched the last 3 and 4 years they were regulars.

I’m on small private place between two large hunt clubs with thousands upon thousands of acres of pine plantation. We are normally covered in does and very few mature deer. Its flipped this year. I have only two resident does that hang around and have at this moment, 3 mature, legal bucks frequenting my 40 acres.

Its a head scratcher for sure. I’m used to seeing deer nearly every hunt. I have seen a two does only once since Oct 1st.

Even the pigs vanished….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen a few more does this year than last, but the numbers are still down from 2 and 3 years ago. We took one doe off 2400 acres last year, and the neighboring lease, which is about 1700 acres, took just a few. So off of 3000+ acres +/- 5 does were taken, which is nothing. But, like I said, we're still down on those over just a few years ago.

We've got a few mature bucks running around, mostly scraggly-antlered deer, which probably be attributed to the drought, but all in all we're not seeing the kinds of deer quality that one would expect after 10 years on MLDP. Maybe it's because we don't really supplemental feed, I don't know.

I do know that we've got a plethora of 2.5 - 3.5 year old bucks, which we do every year, but it seems like after that age 3.5 they disappear and are never seen again.

I'm curious to see what the deer (doe) numbers look like at our farm this year. Last year I was so worried about the small tracts around us hammering them I contacted the local TPWD biologist to see if they were hearing about lower deer sightings from others, and really to say, hey this 16 day doe season needs to be re-evaluated. She advised that they aren't really considering anything at this time, but I may follow up with her again if things are as bad this year as last.

Comment

To expand upon my previous post, do y'all think it's possible to be killing too few bucks? I mean if every year we've got a bunch of 3.5 year olds that we let walk, and they evidently move off somewhere else, could it just be a matter of needing to kill more of them (i.e. the one's with less desirably antler characteristics)?

It'd be like when a pond has too many bass. You can't grow trophies because there's not enough groceries to go around.

Comment

Our numbers seem to be about the same as last year, lots of immature bucks. A few of the older ones that I was pretty sure made it are MIA though.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  To expand upon my previous post, do y'all think it's possible to be killing too few bucks? I mean if every year we've got a bunch of 3.5 year olds that we let walk, and they evidently move off somewhere else, could it just be a matter of needing to kill more of them (i.e. the one's with less desirably antler characteristics)?

It'd be like when a pond has too many bass. You can't grow trophies because there's not enough groceries to go around.
                  My guess is that y’all aren’t killing enough deer. Bucks and doe included. Especially doe. And especially during a drought year when range conditions aren’t as good as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                    My guess is that y’all aren’t killing enough deer. Bucks and doe included. Especially doe. And especially during a drought year when range conditions aren’t as good as usual.
                    That's kind of what I'm thinking. I need to ask independent biologist.

Comment

I hunted 600 acres 3-4 days a week and ran 9 cameras in Houston county last year and only saw one doe. Had a couple pics of the same doe. Didn’t see or get a pic of a single buck over 3.5. Had two 3.5 year old bucks that were regulars and more 1.5-2.5 year old bucks than you could keep track of. Was a really odd season. Was also wondering if something could have killed off the older bucks and does. Before last season I would see 2-3 does and a 3.5-4.5 year old bucks almost every sit and got pics of big mature bucks consistently with a few sightings. This year there are a few does, still too many 1.5-2.5 year old bucks to keep track of, a few 3.5s and a couple nice mature bucks. Not sure where they went last year, but they seem to be slowly coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                        Wait…. you are suggesting the solution to seeing fewer deer (with an emphasis on 3.5 year old and older bucks) is to shoot more deer (both bucks and does). What am I missing here?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          Wait…. you are suggesting the solution to seeing fewer deer (with an emphasis on 3.5 year old and older bucks) is to shoot more deer (both bucks and does). What am I missing here?
                          I know, it seems like the opposite would be true.

I read a few articles recently that discussed the relationship between deer numbers and available food. Basically, range conditions get better when deer numbers go down. Then when the deer that are born in that area grow up with plenty of food, they grow bigger and more healthy.

If an area gets over grazed for too long it takes longer for range conditions to recover. So yes, especially in a drought year, hammer the does.

Comment

If you are focused on feeders, you are missing a lot of animals.

Comment

Can't say I've seen any down numbers this year. Hunt 2 small acreages one in Henderson County, one in Anderson County. Henderson County had a picture a few weeks ago with 14 different deer 5 bucks (2 shooters, 3 young), 7 doe and 2 fawns. Had a total of 5 fawns on camera over the summer. Sat yesterday and watched 4 doe and 2 young ones with them. In Anderson County consistently have 5 bucks on camera (1 shooter) and have 8 different doe with 5 or 6 fawns. Also all I have shot the past 3 seasons on either place have been 1 doe each year to fill the freezer. This year I have my eyes on 1 particular buck in Henderson County. I guess we have been very fortunate as our numbers have gone up over the last few seasons.

On another note, in Anderson County last week I had zero pictures at the protein feeder of bucks and had 3 different videos at night of bucks chasing and pestering several doe. It's getting fun out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                                If you are focused on feeders, you are missing a lot of animals.
                                If one were basing a hypothesis on numbers observed sitting on a stand a couple weekends out of the year, then one’s hypothesis is really skewed. I’m not sure what the others in this conversation are doing, but my observations are based upon spending a lot of time at my place… on and off season and mapping trends for 15 years.
                                Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 10-31-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X