Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Neighbor bout a cannon at a garage sale today…. Ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      Lmao

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Recieved multiple videos of young bucks and mature deer pushing does and chasing today in polk county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
          This morning was great. Took my 45 minutes to get in my popup waiting on doe to leave. Then 3 minutes later i was covered up with 10 more. Two bucks came by late, saw deer till 930

Next few days should be good. Today would be a good day to get in a oak bottom and sit still all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          I sat on a oak flat yesterday afternoon from about 330 till dark. Forky and a doe

This has been the most uneventful bow season I can remember when it comes to bucks over 3

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well of coarse he did. It’s deer season now. Everyone knows that you can’t shoot cannons until deer season. It’s considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Get with the program Kyle.

And next weekend they will break out the ARs for 4 hours at 8:00 am.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              I sat on a oak flat yesterday afternoon from about 330 till dark. Forky and a doe

This has been the most uneventful bow season I can remember when it comes to bucks over 3

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              i haven’t seen any older bucks in person or on camera for the last two years i really think we lost a ton of old bucks in that dang freeze.
              it hit really late when the bucks that were run down from the rut where in the worst shape of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                i haven’t seen any older bucks in person or on camera for the last two years i really think we lost a ton of old bucks in that dang freeze.
                it hit really late when the bucks that were run down from the rut where in the worst shape of the year.
                I’ve always thought the same.

Comment

We have our normal numbers of middle and older aged bucks.

They were really hot and heavy on does a week or two ago a little further south in SE Texas.

We were really negatively affected two years by too much water in our fawn crop and herd. This past season was tough, but we are seeing some fawns this year (unlike last season).
                  Last edited by Greenheadless; 10-30-2022, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Everyone wants to point to extreme weather conditions for lower deer numbers …. Ice storms, wicked dry summers. No one ever stood a minute and considers the number of does taken ever year for over a decade. It’s catching up… a lower fawn crop 5 or 6 years ago will statistically result in fewer mature deer from that class. Sure hot summers and ice storms have an effect, but it’s not the only reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      Everyone wants to point to extreme weather conditions for lower deer numbers …. Ice storms, wicked dry summers. No one ever stood a minute and considers the number of does taken ever year for over a decade. It’s catching up… a lower fawn crop 5 or 6 years ago will statistically result in fewer mature deer from that class. Sure hot summers and ice storms have an effect, but it’s not the only reason.
                      My kids will take 1 a year over a multitude of properties. NONE of my neighbors have in the history of hunting killed a doe (God forbid…. Got to shoot those inferior spikes instead). Of 15-20 doe I monitor year around…. I had 1 doe with a single dawn and 1 doe with twins. They don’t have the habitat to raise a fawn. Predator and domestic as well. I’m not seeing lower mature deer I’m seeing far less recruiting into the 1.5 class

Comment

My kids will take 1 a year over a multitude of properties. NONE of my neighbors have in the history of hunting killed a doe (God forbid…. Got to shoot those inferior spikes instead). Of 15-20 doe I monitor year around…. I had 1 doe with a single dawn and 1 doe with twins. They don’t have the habitat to raise a fawn. Predator and domestic as well. I’m not seeing lower mature deer I’m seeing far less recruiting into the 1.5 class
                        What you do is a data point. For every Hunter like you, there is the other extreme. And it varies case by case. I did not really follow all of your reply. You have deer, but you are drawing conclusion there is little annual recruitment? Fawns are taken by coyotes and definately domestic dogs, that’s all part of it. But a doe in a cooler has zero chance of reproducing. Thankfully my place has seemed to tilt the other way this year, seems like numbers improved … having not shot a doe in 3 years. Even had a great 10 pointer up until last Sunday, when neighbor hit it with his motorcycle.

As far as your spike issue, one of these days we will see the end of that stupidity.

Comment

Our doe numbers are stable to growing. We actually have twice the number of does we had a decade ago and really need to put the hammer on them.

Our average weights are really reflecting the increased numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                            What you do is a data point. For every Hunter like you, there is the other extreme. And it varies case by case. I did not really follow all of your reply. You have deer, but you are drawing conclusion there is little annual recruitment? Fawns are taken by coyotes and definately domestic dogs, that’s all part of it. But a doe in a cooler has zero chance of reproducing. Thankfully my place has seemed to tilt the other way this year, seems like numbers improved … having not shot a doe in 3 years. Even had a great 10 pointer up until last Sunday, when neighbor hit it with his motorcycle.

As far as your spike issue, one of these days we will see the end of that stupidity.
                            I honestly don’t know the reason for lower overall numbers and I don’t think the freeze had anything at all to do with it. I’m in an area that is approximately…. 3000ish acres under 6-7 owners. Some of course bigger than others and different pressure. I bet none of us in that core area have killed a single doe in 8-10 years. And all of our numbers are going down…. And it’s all on the young side (they are all hell on a 115” 3.5) but I’m talking fawn-3.5 are few. I’ve got more bucks on the properties that I myself hunt that are over 6.5 than I do bucks under 3.5

Heck I was at Rocky’s the other day and he had 64 deer in his yard. Good mix of bucks and doe and very very few this year fawns. And they have all the food and water and protection they could ever want.

I have no clue

Comment

We have excellent doe numbers this year and excellent fawn numbers. I haven't seen a coyote or bobcat on our lease in the last 2 years or on camera. I got 3 people/ families hunting 563 acres and we shoot on average 4 to 6 doe per year. This year is the best numbers I have seen since I been leasing this property for the past 12yrs.

Comment

Right. It’s not exactly are war zone on my place or surrounding, but the deer numbers are just down last few years. And then the next guy will tell you he is over ran with deer? Does not make sense and no one reason contributes to skewed numbers in either direction. I don’t buy the freeze reason either. Again, I am sure some old deer did not make it through, but the younger deer/healthy deer could survive that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X