No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got blanked Tuesday. All cameras on feed stations, trails, scrapes…. Everything are blowing up non stop….in the dark, other than “Big Jim” who went to a feed pen at 11:00am yesterday ( I don’t think I could pass him). ME has been gone since 3:30am Sunday

Comment

How far away are your feeders or pens or hand-corn spots from where you sit in the tree stand? I am at 20 yards with my set-ups (first year really) and getting killed with variable winds. Thinking of pushing it back to 30 to 40 yards. Thoughts?

Comment

I’m 150+ currently and if/when I go back I’ll push even farther. If that strikes out I’ll wait till more chasing and move to thickets. I have no problem being completely away from a bait pile and get 200:1 pics of mature deer in daylight away from them

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
          How far away are your feeders or pens or hand-corn spots from where you sit in the tree stand? I am at 20 yards with my set-ups (first year really) and getting killed with variable winds. Thinking of pushing it back to 30 to 40 yards. Thoughts?
          Yeah, the winds have not been helpful for me either. Every sit the weather man winds were guessed wrong. And they changed directions constantly.

I am 30 yards from my feeder pen and got winded from 3 different directions in one evening. It wasnt a hard bust though, they just noticed something and calmly changed directions.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            Yeah, the winds have not been helpful for me either. Every sit the weather man winds were guessed wrong. And they changed directions constantly.

I am 30 yards from my feeder pen and got winded from 3 different directions in one evening. It wasnt a hard bust though, they just noticed something and calmly changed directions.

J
            Tuesday evening was a solid 12 mph N wind. Solid!!! Milk weed was IMMEDIATELY DRIFTING straight N. Straight into the wind then headed straight E once it got about 30 yards away. Lol. I thought to myself “ I’m gonna have to climb every tree 🌲. These woods to figure these currents out. My face and tree leaves told me I was good to go, but they were wrong

Why ozonics don’t work and some think it does cause “deer was downwind of me”…. That don’t mean squat. Current and thermals on this property SUCK probably why the age structure here is so good with all surround pressure. They have an advantage I haven’t been able to cripple yet

Comment

Trees and tree lines do crazy things with winds.

That is one of the things I try to figure out early in a set. If wind is from a certain direction, what are the effects of it at my particular set.

I learn it and then will only hunt it if I know how it should play out.

Comment

SE Texas hunter PSA.

The time has come for the big show.

That is all, back to your normally scheduled activities.

Comment

Guys how much y’all paying for rice bran pellets?

Comment

Had to fill feeder today and the number of scrapes and rubs was unreal! ME FINALLY showed up at feed pen about 4:30 after being gone. I’m sold that I can’t kill him in that area. He don’t make mistakes and I don’t have a way to capitalize on an opportunity with a bow…. SO I branched out even farther on some areas of interest with cameras up high and will hunt bouncing around when conditions are perfect. I may go after “Big Jim” and let Lola hunt ME. I can kill him with a rifle, and could have killed him 3x with one already

Still early….who knows what will happen when the woods are filled with thunder sticks

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD4BF5DB-2297-4C49-984B-2492A52091EB.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	24696242. I am posted up at the house place this morning. Trail cam activity has slowed but there are a couple shooters still coming by. Funny thing is I have not seen near the rut activity here as I have 8 Miles’s south at my lease. Buck in pic is still around and my main target here

Comment

As of right now looks like I chose the wrong spot this morning 🤣🤣this one is only about 400 yrds from camp
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                          As of right now looks like I chose the wrong spot this morning [emoji1787][emoji1787]this one is only about 400 yrds from camp
                          Sneak around I know that you have some Indian in you.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            Sneak around I know that you have some Indian in you.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                            Taylor once told me his Indian name was fartswhenwalks. Stay in the blind mike

Comment

Had a chance on a doe at 8 yards and just didn’t want to kill it. I have a lunch to be at and didn’t want to risk missing it on a doe. I hope I get another chance on her tomorrow morning

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                Had to fill feeder today and the number of scrapes and rubs was unreal! ME FINALLY showed up at feed pen about 4:30 after being gone. I’m sold that I can’t kill him in that area. He don’t make mistakes and I don’t have a way to capitalize on an opportunity with a bow…. SO I branched out even farther on some areas of interest with cameras up high and will hunt bouncing around when conditions are perfect. I may go after “Big Jim” and let Lola hunt ME. I can kill him with a rifle, and could have killed him 3x with one already

Still early….who knows what will happen when the woods are filled with thunder sticks
                                If you don’t kill him this year you’ve gotta post pics at least.

Speaking of wind issues, I’ve got concerns at one of my blinds now. I moved this ranch king to a different spot earlier in the year and hunted it for the first time this past weekend. At first light I had a doe walk by me to the west at no more than 10 yards, and she proceeded to the feeder to my north about 100 yards away. Just as she got about 10 yards from the feeder sheet turned inside out, and bolted for the woods where she commenced to blowing.

Now admittedly this wouldn’t normally be a good set up for hunting a south wind with a feeder being to my north, but I’m in an airtight box blind and there was almost no wind Saturday morning. I can’t imagine how she could’ve gotten almost 100 yards away before winding me, so next time I go down there I’m gonna bring some milk weed and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X