Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Martin Landlords….let’s get those houses back up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, had 2 males and a female around all day today... Think they may have roosted in one of the houses... got my fingers crossed... been a slow start for me this year! Beginning to think cleaning out the old nests/mud from the houses and giving them a fresh coat of paint might be the deterrent... Hope they get over that pretty quick... I did send on unlucky sparrow to its happy hunting grounds today too...

Comment

My bride and I relaxed by the houses today. We would guesss we have around 50.
      This is my favorite time of the year.

Comment

Increased activity pretty much everyday now.

Comment

I have more showing up everyday now numbers are increasing!

Comment

As of last Thursday I had nada in Winona,Texas! Maybe next week when we geaux back up there.

Comment

Got mine up finally. Used the skid steer to drill the hole. This coliche is something else. Went 2' down.But the $97 cost for the pole was like ...OUCH! Glad the AG saved me the tax. Bat houses and Hummingbird feeders in full operation.

Comment

Got 16 here at my place in Sherman , waiting for more to show up

God Bless
                Bish

Comment

I didn't have any nest last year. Just a few tire kickers. As of yesterday I have 2 pair staying over night.

Comment

My friend all the way up in Canada that's been a mentor of sorts that's had years and years of experience successfully attracting PMs just sent me this video. He normally has a bunch of birds by now but they haven't arrived yet. He works so hard maintaining a variety of multiple houses as you can tell. He fears the colony has abandoned his site because he has been bombarded by owls and hawks the past couple of years. I SO PRAY that he is wrong. Just doesn't seem fair if that is truly what has happened. Shows you how serious predators can be to a colony. 😕

Comment

Last Friday when I left our place all was still quiet. Hopefully this week when we head north something will be checking out the new housing option.

Comment

It took two day for Martins to find the house. I have tenants!

Comment

I don't know what is going on with my birds... Had several scouts over the past month, but none have set up residence in my houses. I always have lots of birds, but nuthin' so far this season. I did everything just like I always have done. My wife suggested maybe ants got into the houses... never had that happen before, but they do get in our mail box out on the county road... I'm going to get out my ladder and check the houses right where they sit to see if there is anything going on that I can physically see. I've kept the sparrows and starlings at bay, and we don't seem to have birds of prey any more than in previous years... Haven't seen an owl around here in a long time. Hawks don't seem to bother my wife's free ranging chickens... lose one to a dog or possum once in a while, but no raptor issues... Sure hope whatever it is, I can get it fixed!!

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                            I've been on sparrow and starling duty the past week. I've about got them totally evicted 🤨
                            How are you getting rid of sparrows? I think I have a few setting up shop.

Comment

I'm doing battle with the brown headed cow birds. They lay their eggs in other birds nests. They hang around my PMs boxes. I shoot all I can with a 22. Not very successful. Any body have other irradiation ideas?

Comment

Up here in NW Ark we've had martins 10+ years. nice established colony. Have 4 houses for 54 apartments. Last year had 43 mating pairs. Lots showing up again this year. Will try to remember to take pics tonite.

Comment

Working...
                                X