No announcement yet.

2022 - RV/Camping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a spring break reservation for the family at Lake Buescher State Park.

Usually we go to Huntsville State Park or Mission Tejas, which are fine, but last year we went to Atlanta State Park and loved it. We've never been to Lake Buescher and wanted to try something a little further west this time.

I'm hoping late in the summer to hit one or two of the parks with water features or swimming holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      I've got a spring break reservation for the family at Lake Buescher State Park.

Usually we go to Huntsville State Park or Mission Tejas, which are fine, but last year we went to Atlanta State Park and loved it. We've never been to Lake Buescher and wanted to try something a little further west this time.

I'm hoping late in the summer to hit one or two of the parks with water features or swimming holes.

Several years ago we camped at Lake Buescher state park , they were taking a collection to fix the dam. So if the dam has been fixed, it was before that.

I kayak fished for bass while there, they were so easy to catch I felt like a pro.

Maybe they were just hungry that weekend?

Just saw this on TPWD site when making sure we are talking about the same place-

Alerts...
      Construction/Lake Closure

Oct. 1, 2021 - The Buescher State Park Lake is closed for construction. The project should be complete sometime in 2023.

During the closure, there will be no public access to the lake or lake shore and fishing and boating will not be available. Campgrounds and trails will be open. Expect construction noise, construction traffic on the roadways, and possible road closures during this time

Check back for updates or contact the park for more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
        Has anyone stayed at Majestic Oaks in Rockport?
        We have stayed there the last couple summers. 2 summers ago we had a "permanent" spot for a couple months. It was so nice to have the camper already set up, Just show up and turn the AC on. I also got enclosed storage for my boat right around the corner from Majestic Oaks. Super convenient. As to the park itself its super nice. The spots and roads are all concrete and very level. The pool is heated for use year round. Some spots are close together and some are spaced apart. I would say 50 to 75% of the spots are seasonal with the people returning year after year. They gets the best spots. Everyone is super friendly. One thing that is irritating is just because you reserve a specific spot don't be surprised if when you get there they put you in a different place. This has happened to us a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
          We have stayed there the last couple summers. 2 summers ago we had a "permanent" spot for a couple months. It was so nice to have the camper already set up, Just show up and turn the AC on. I also got enclosed storage for my boat right around the corner from Majestic Oaks. Super convenient. As to the park itself its super nice. The spots and roads are all concrete and very level. The pool is heated for use year round. Some spots are close together and some are spaced apart. I would say 50 to 75% of the spots are seasonal with the people returning year after year. They gets the best spots. Everyone is super friendly. One thing that is irritating is just because you reserve a specific spot don't be surprised if when you get there they put you in a different place. This has happened to us a few times.

Thanks for the information. We have few trips planned to Port A and Rockport this year. We have house rented in Rockport in June, primarily so we can tour RV parks before we commit to one for an extended period. Next year we are considering finding a park to leave it down there during June and July. In July we are staying at Port A RV Resort and in August Gulf Waters. We will be taking our boat in June to Rockport to fish but the Port A trips will probably be beach trips only. We use our boat a lot during the summer at the local lakes so would likely trailer it back and forth, at least that is my initial thought anyway.

Comment

Got my camper at the end of last summer and been using it almost every month since. This is from my first boondocking trip with my BIL. We spent 6 days in the NM backcountry on a late archery muley hunt. (No deer killed, but saw a good one) Had to to throw some strap on it to help secure the top, a storm with 40+ mph winds & snow roll in our first day.

Any boondocking recommendation for spring in TX?
            Attached Files

Comment

Take a look at Goose Island SP area in Lamar. Just across the bridge from Fulton/Rockport. Also there are some extended stays being develop in Lamar on 8th St and along the beach road there.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                Got my camper at the end of last summer and been using it almost every month since. This is from my first boondocking trip with my BIL. We spent 6 days in the NM backcountry on a late archery muley hunt. (No deer killed, but saw a good one) Had to to throw some strap on it to help secure the top, a storm with 40+ mph winds & snow roll in our first day.

Any boondocking recommendation for spring in TX?
                Holy cow especially with a brand new rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                  Probably need to book Big Bend soon.

There was a TBH flag at one time, maybe they could bring it back?

We bought Lectric bikes for camping primarily though we ride them locally sometimes.

Nice bikes. We bought Townie Cruisers. We use them a lot while camping and at home.

I came to the realization that Big Bend probably isn't going to happen this spring. Don't want to make plans until we get our trailer back. We were supposed to get it a few months ago. so far they missed 4 dead lines that they set.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                    Several years ago we camped at Lake Buescher state park , they were taking a collection to fix the dam. So if the dam has been fixed, it was before that.

I kayak fished for bass while there, they were so easy to catch I felt like a pro.

Maybe they were just hungry that weekend?

Just saw this on TPWD site when making sure we are talking about the same place-

Alerts...
                    Construction/Lake Closure

Oct. 1, 2021 - The Buescher State Park Lake is closed for construction. The project should be complete sometime in 2023.

During the closure, there will be no public access to the lake or lake shore and fishing and boating will not be available. Campgrounds and trails will be open. Expect construction noise, construction traffic on the roadways, and possible road closures during this time

Check back for updates or contact the park for more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Ugh. Wonderful...

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      Ugh. Wonderful...
                      It's Pretty near Lake Bastrop, which uses LCRA as it's 2 parks. Maybe you could day pass there if you don't want to just move your reservations.

Choose your adventure at this 176-acre park that offers watercraft rentals, hike and bike trails, and a camp store for snacks and souvenirs. The 900-acre Lake Bastrop is perfect for fishing and water recreation. Cabins, tent camping and RV campsites are available for overnight stays.

One of those parks (south) has camping w/ shade, trails a swim area and a boat launch.
                      The other has a boat launch.

If the power plant on Lake Bastrop is running the water will feel hot- not exactly hop in to cool off temperature.

We went one year in the summer and brought a fish-n-ski. The only escape from the heat was hoping in the hot water, jumping back in the boat and getting it up on plane to let the wind blow over your wet body to cool you off.

Being the smart guy I pretend to be I booked for the following spring break expecting to swim in warm water while it was cool outside. Even told the peeps we drug along with us about the added attraction of warm water.
                      Sike, the plant was down and the water was cold.

The cool thing with at least this LCRA park is they have plenty of cabins for rent if any of your non trailer owning friends want to join along.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                        Got my camper at the end of last summer and been using it almost every month since.
                        I don't have any recommendations for boon-docking, but I can recommend these:
                        pop up gizmos

We had these when we had our hybrid-travel trailer. These things work great, both heat and cold! A little bit of extra effort to get them put on, but well worth it in our book. It was amazing the temperature difference on the bunk ends with these installed.

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                          I don't have any recommendations for boon-docking, but I can recommend these:
                          pop up gizmos

We had these when we had our hybrid-travel trailer. These things work great, both heat and cold! A little bit of extra effort to get them put on, but well worth it in our book. It was amazing the temperature difference on the bunk ends with these installed.

You're right they do work great we have a set for the camper, but the wind was consistently blowing 25mph+ for the first 3 days. After the wind died down we were able to use them. Made a huge difference at night when the temps were down in the single digits. I would recommend them to anyone with a pop up.

Comment

Had a baseball tournament this weekend in Clifton, 5 games today alone! Maiden voyage for the Winnebago Voyage 3235RL. Son’s team made it to the championship game but fell short but still went home with some hardware. If anyone is looking to stay around Clifton, I highly recommend Clifton RV Park.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
                                we need to come up with a tbh flag for a lot sign.
                                PM the Mayor and see if she can get a redo on the flag.

They look great on the the back of any RV or covered wagon.

Hogboy

[ATTACH]1082195[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                                X