Buying high mileage diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    OP, I would wait it out with current ride until this market cools a bit. It might be a year or 2, but the car lots are empty. Just not a good time to be buying, really anything.
    Do you think that prices will ever actually come down? I’m not even close to being in the know on that subject, but I do think that inflation is here and here to stay

Comment

Originally posted by St59 View Post
      Yup… sadly I can’t find a much better deal. Thought about going new, but at $90k for everything I want, I’m a little gunshy
      Order it. I’ve got a 22’ 250 on order that’s optioned very similar to my current 17’ 350, BUT the 22’ is a 7.3 gasser. The 17’ is a 6.7. I’m paying $62K and change for my very well optioned 22’ 250 Lariat Tremor. Building it identical but 6.7 would cost me $7K more. Dropping the Tremor pack and going FX4 would save a couple grand as well.

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about it at all! 6.7s are beasts and have proved themselves to by 300k mile engines by now, with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
          Order it. I’ve got a 22’ 250 on order that’s optioned very similar to my current 17’ 350, BUT the 22’ is a 7.3 gasser. The 17’ is a 6.7. I’m paying $62K and change for my very well optioned 22’ 250 Lariat Tremor. Building it identical but 6.7 would cost me $7K more. Dropping the Tremor pack and going FX4 would save a couple grand as well.
          I have looked seriously at going this route. I like the idea of the 7.3 a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
            No problem truck will last another 200 thousand miles .
            You got a King Ranch you wanna sell back to me yet?? Ha!

Comment

I don’t necessarily need a tow rig, I do pull a trailer at least once a week though. My truck now has issues with the electronics on the dash, that at this point is just annoying lol
              I do not mind helping with your electrical issue if this is your deciding factor. What is the issue. Might save you $48k

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                I do not mind helping with your electrical issue if this is your deciding factor. What is the issue. Might save you $48k
                Air bag light comes on when I turn left or hookup a loaded trailer. Dealerships and
                A few small shops have looked at it and all said the dash just needs to be re wired.

Light will turn on everytime I turn left or when put it in auto it will
                Make that light blink

Comment

My ‘14 Silverado had the transmission give up at 145k. Transmission repair shop said yup, it’s about the right time, I rebuild 2-3 of these a week.

Asked if I ever had any issues with the engine as well? No sir, why? He said the cylinder deactivation system on those were horrible and told me to prepare for that fix soon cause it was definitely coming. Traded it the following week for a super duty with the 6.7 and have been very happy. It was my first Ford but I can tell you honestly it won’t be my last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay so I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 105k miles. Got the itch for a new truck. Found a 2017 Ford F-350 6.7 lariat with skirted flatbed for $48k. Truck has all the options I want and feels like a reasonable price, but has 125k miles on it. Is the mileage on that truck something I should be worried about?

I put about 20-25k miles on a vehicle a year give or take. Ideally would like to get 5-7 years out of new truck
                    I wouldn’t think twice about this purchase. I had a 03’ F-250 that I drove all over this state for 11 years. Parked and then sold it a year later. It had 509,000 miles on it and I would have taken it for another long trip with no question.

I’ve now got a 14’ F250 with 350,000 on it. Other than being on my 4th radiator, I’ve had almost zero problems. ECM went out about a year ago. Other than that it’s been a solid truck.

Go get it!

Comment

Air bag light comes on when I turn left or hookup a loaded trailer. Dealerships and
                      A few small shops have looked at it and all said the dash just needs to be re wired.

Light will turn on everytime I turn left or when put it in auto it will
                      Make that light blink
                      PM me

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                        My ‘14 Silverado had the transmission give up at 145k. Transmission repair shop said yup, it’s about the right time, I rebuild 2-3 of these a week.

Asked if I ever had any issues with the engine as well? No sir, why? He said the cylinder deactivation system on those were horrible and told me to prepare for that fix soon cause it was definitely coming. Traded it the following week for a super duty with the 6.7 and have been very happy. It was my first Ford but I can tell you honestly it won’t be my last.

Ironically my dad had a Silverado that transmission went out at 150k and they condemned the engine

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post

Funny you say that, other day my 14' had the trans as well as the lifters go out at 130k miles. Took it to my buddy at the dealership and was told that its rare to see them break 150.

Comment

Id look at Texas speed or like company, they offer to remove the parts that fail and remove deactivation.

Originally posted by bradleymccaw View Post
                            Funny you say that, other day my 14' had the trans as well as the lifters go out at 130k miles. Took it to my buddy at the dealership and was told that its rare to see them break 150.

Comment

Truck will last a long time, but you need to be aware that repairs are likely. Injectors are a fairly common thing to replace starting about 150K. That can be a $8K repair, but will be good for another 150K miles. Turbos are less common of an issue, but still odds go way up after 150k miles. $3-4K repair. The DEF system..... IDK but they all seem to have issues at some point $1-4K.... Just realize diesels are more expensive to repair, but they will last in general a very long time.

If you go in knowing that a repair or two is likely in that time frame you will be happy, but if you want to buy it and not have to repair anything for another 150K miles I think you will be very disappointed.

Comment

Diesel motors last but realize the rest of the truck isn't any more age/mile-proof than any other vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X