Disappearing skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
    How many can navigate CELESTIALLY offshore for months on end - with zero electronics?

And to really see how good you are - use GPS to cross reference your DEAD RECKONING SKILLS after a month or so of zero electronics.

Lived thru the Pre & Post GPS phase of Maritime Navigation - during my past life of service offshore.

The key - those with the core skills are shrinking - and the majority with those old skills - were born before 1970 - because it was then - no one had anything and what was learned, got hammered with technologies as they came online - and we had our old ways mixed with some very primitive systems - analog to digital conversions - even with a standard CLOCK. Who winds a clock system anymore to keep time? Time is key with navigation - without solid and consistent TIME - to really know how to navigate and know where you are - time speed and bearing.

A solid time mechanism - is the foundation. Batteries and electrical power outlets - don't cut it .
    lol, the advance of navigation for me was mapped- loran A - loran C , 1990 gps was released to public, now no one can travel in a boat long distance and punch the jetty on the x without it

Comment

We need another set of foxfire books

Comment

The internet and smart phones are the #1 cause of people losing skills. (As I type on the internet.) Knowing something once meant experiencing it, learning the hard way, or putting your mind to it. Now everything is as simple as downloading an app or watching a video. Technology is our greatest strength and our greatest weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by smart View Post
          the skill of a grown *** man or woman to say "thank you" is eroding.... And the same with their kids.

Comment

I will not be teaching my kids to read or fold a paper map. I don’t even own one anymore. They will be ok

Comment

Technology makes life easier...and people dumber

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                I will not be teaching my kids to read or fold a paper map. I don’t even own one anymore. They will be ok
                Speaking of maps, y’all ever see what those old maps with old Oil Co. logos sell for? We helped with my wife’s aunt and uncles estate sale in Grapeland several years ago and her uncle had old maps from every state dating back to the 50’s. We sold 2 boxes, approximately 50 or 60, for 15 dollars total. Got home and looked on E-Bay and some were selling for 100 plus. SMDH. Sorry OP. Not trying to derail.

Comment

Not too many people on here had to do math without a calculator.

I went from manually working out a problem, to a slide rule, to a calculator.

Comment

On little ol emp strike and a lot of life skills would have to be relearned .

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      Not too many people on here had to do math without a calculator.

I went from manually working out a problem, to a slide rule, to a calculator.
                      You started with an abacus.

Comment

I can azimuth, reverse azimuth, triangulate, process a deer, grow a garden, raise animals.... But probably the worst at home and vehicle repairs

Comment

There are very few butchers/meat cutters any longer. Boxed beef replaced most of the carcass beef back in the 70`s. Most grocery chains sell some if not all (Walmart) of their meat that is processed and package somewhere else. Covid has cause lots of people to slaughter their own beef again and local processors have seen a huge increase in their business. The one big problem is there are no experienced butchers/meatcutters to be found. They are all trying to hire help for a skillset that has almost disappeared and one that no one wants to learn.

Comment

Every civilization has lost skills so thats not uncommon and probably had something to do with some human civilizations in the distant past no longer exist.
                            I am fortunate enough to have been brought up before feeders, range finders, cameras and such. I shoot a recurve most of the time and practice by cactus shooting. I pick a cactus and shoot it not knowing how far it is. I guestimate and typically do a pretty good job of it. Lots of modern outdoorsman, hunters would starve to death these days if a few things were outlawed.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                              There are very few butchers/meat cutters any longer. Boxed beef replaced most of the carcass beef back in the 70`s. Most grocery chains sell some if not all (Walmart) of their meat that is processed and package somewhere else. Covid has cause lots of people to slaughter their own beef again and local processors have seen a huge increase in their business. The one big problem is there are no experienced butchers/meatcutters to be found. They are all trying to hire help for a skillset that has almost disappeared and one that no one wants to learn.
                              I have a ex girlfriend, who got a minor in butchering from Texas tech and is now making bank as a butcher ( who would’ve thought)

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                                Technology makes life easier...and people dumber
                                I think you're partially correct - technology does make life easier, and I believe its creating generations that are going to be smarter and more knowledgeable than any generation before them.

I don't think it has made a single person dumber, I do however, think it has given a voice to the idiots that we already had.

A vocal minority is paid more attention than a silent majority, in almost all cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X