No announcement yet.

selling coin collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By all means KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE before you sell it. Don't count on any dealer to take the time necessary to accurately appraise a large collection. They just don't have the time to search through many loose coins. They are in business to make money, so it is not to their benefit to spend a bunch of time searching for rare varieties. I bought a collection a few years ago and insisted on searching 500 silver dimes when I could have just paid silver value for them like most dealers. I found a 1942/41 that was worth $500 and told her to keep that one for her kids.

There are lots of websites that list values, but you still need to know what you have and the grade. The Redbook is a good book to learn and identify coins, especially the professional edition, but the values don't reflect the current market. Greysheet lists more up to date wholesale and retail prices. Completed listings on eBay will give you an even better idea of what someone is willing to pay for a coin.

If you have the time to sell to collectors instead of dealers you can maximize your profit. Dealers will only pay 50-70% of retail...they have to make money. Selling on eBay reaches the most potential buyers and realizes the best prices, but it does have risks. Scammers can say the item was "not as described" or the box was empty and eBay will often side with them. Then there is the unreliable shipping from USPS. I've sold a lot of coins on eBay, but wouldn't risk selling a really valuable one there. Instead, I would attend a big coin show and take the best offer from 100+ dealers or any interested collectors.

If you do sell on eBay, be sure the listing includes as many search words as possible. Many items aren't seen by buyers because the description isn't worded to maximize views.

Wherever you sell them be sure to KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE!! I bought a $3000 coin on eBay a while back that was not attributed correctly...for $17.

Comment

Following. I have a collection that I need checked out. I know absolutely zero about the stuff other than some are gold and the others are silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
        By all means KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE before you sell it. Don't count on any dealer to take the time necessary to accurately appraise a large collection. They just don't have the time to search through many loose coins. They are in business to make money, so it is not to their benefit to spend a bunch of time searching for rare varieties. I bought a collection a few years ago and insisted on searching 500 silver dimes when I could have just paid silver value for them like most dealers. I found a 1942/41 that was worth $500 and told her to keep that one for her kids.

There are lots of websites that list values, but you still need to know what you have and the grade. The Redbook is a good book to learn and identify coins, especially the professional edition, but the values don't reflect the current market. Greysheet lists more up to date wholesale and retail prices. Completed listings on eBay will give you an even better idea of what someone is willing to pay for a coin.

If you have the time to sell to collectors instead of dealers you can maximize your profit. Dealers will only pay 50-70% of retail...they have to make money. Selling on eBay reaches the most potential buyers and realizes the best prices, but it does have risks. Scammers can say the item was "not as described" or the box was empty and eBay will often side with them. Then there is the unreliable shipping from USPS. I've sold a lot of coins on eBay, but wouldn't risk selling a really valuable one there. Instead, I would attend a big coin show and take the best offer from 100+ dealers or any interested collectors.

If you do sell on eBay, be sure the listing includes as many search words as possible. Many items aren't seen by buyers because the description isn't worded to maximize views.

Wherever you sell them be sure to KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE!! I bought a $3000 coin on eBay a while back that was not attributed correctly...for $17.
        Great advice here.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          This is who I would recommend. We haven’t traded with him much (for no reason other than we’re simply not into coins or other numismatics) but may have a need to in the near future. When we do, we’ll start here first. Can assert you’ll get the best deal here but can vouch for reputation of integrity.
          numismatics - I can stop reading today because I learned something new.

Thanks Hunter Lady

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
            numismatics - I can stop reading today because I learned something new.

Thanks Hunter Lady

Yes, you can stop reading and go pour yourself a drink. You’ve earned it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X