Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Find anywhere other than optics planet to shop man lol

Mountain Tactical makes a great trigger spring fyi.
    I already canceled the order.. Im just gonna get the $10 spring to make it a #2 single stage trigger lol

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      I already canceled the order.. Im just gonna get the $10 spring to make it a #2 single stage trigger lol
      Good choice.

They carry nice stuff for tikka.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Good choice.

They carry nice stuff for tikka.
        I hate guns.. I know nothing about them lol.. Listening to too many people

Comment

I hate guns.. I know nothing about them lol.. Listening to too many people

Comment

Excellent rifle choice. The tikka triggers with an aftermarket spring are great

Comment

Fun thread to read. I have the same rifle in 270 win and love it. Congrats on the hunt and good luck 👍🏼

Comment

Good choice of caliber and gun. Good luck on the hunt.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                  You're on the right track. What is the barrel twist on the Tikka? You might have to go down to a 140 gr bullet. I'd also suggest practice shooting with a glove on, you never know what situation might arise.

Solid advice

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                    As noted by many above, 700 yards is a pretty good clip, especially at altitude with wind. My "mountain rifle" is a 300 PRC on a Defiance AntiX action, Proof 26" carbon, with a Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56mm with the PR2 reticle. I was trying to build a light rifle, but it weighs right at 10 pounds. I don't think you can go wrong with the PRC, 300 Win., 28 Nosler, or 7 mag. Good luck and let us know!
                    This right here….

Comment

I have Canadian buddy from work who hunts sheep across the world (I think think - will look through his hunting threads (powerpoints) confirm he has recently made this hunt to get his rifle choice.

He helped me build me my mountain gun in 2019 to be be used for big game animals in rough country.

300 Win Mag - Tikka T3
                      Boyd Laminate Stock
                      Liga Barrell in 30 Caliber
                      Chambered to 26 inches and glass bedded
                      Leopold VX5HD with CDS Dial
                      8lb 10oz weight
                      Barnes 168TTSX (my choice as he prefers 160 grain Swift Scirrocos

Ample Power on paper to take down elk size animal to 640 yards.

My second Canadian tour was cut short by 4 years, so I never made the Stone Sheep hunt I had planned, but did take a bull elk at 400 yards. Going to load up 100 rounds and periodically shoot pigs and wait for another mountain hunt opportunity (hope to head back to Alberta this fall for archery elk in September, then again for Northern Alberta whitetail hunt in November.
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Ok so I ended up going with a 7mm Remington mag. Little less drop over the 300 win mag. Also feel like it will be a little better gun for hunting here in Texas, as well as a good choice for my kids when they are teenagers out west. Going to try to get 162 grain ELD X to fly out of it.

Going to have Cerekote put on the barrel and action, as well as changing out the trigger spring.

Will go with a top of the line Leupold on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Great choice!

My Tikka likes the 168gr Federal Berger Hybrid. I didn’t mess with the trigger, I like the way it shot stock. Let us know how you like the spring.

Chris

Comment

Here is his hunt in same place just this year.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_jpoYCh9U"]Shikar in Tajikistan 2021 - YouTube[/ame]
                          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I love my 7mag and shoot it out to 600. You might consider Nosler trophy grade accubond 140gr. Worked perfectly on a bull elk this year at 400 yards.

Comment

I would think a 7mm RUM, 300 RUM, maybe a 6.5-300 Weatherby. But all of those calibers, I would want at least a 28" barrel, to take advantage of those powder charges. You don't need a caliber of the size of those calibers. But if you don't normally hunt with a rifle and don't normally take shots in the 700 yard range. I would suggest the flattest shooting, hard hitting round possible. Then once you have the gun, practice with it a lot, at long ranges a lot, before you get close to this hunt. You need to be able to hit about a 3" to 4" target easily at that range. Doing so on a rifle range, with a rest, then no wind and you know the range for sure, is one thing. But getting out somewhere, in rough terrain, high winds, likely cross winds from more than one direction. Then who knows what other problems. You really need to be good at that range and farther when you are on the shooting range. Because it is going to be much harder, when you are actually out there. That is not going to be a cake walk.

Then you will need to know the hold over out past the longest range you will shoot. Having a scope with custom turrets or your exact load, would be very nice. But I always want to know how much bullet drop I am going to get at each range. I don't like to not know and solely count on the scope to adjust for the range. Then also shooting in various winds, is helpful. So you get a better idea of how much lead you need for various wind speeds and various ranges. Slower bullets will require more lead, in high winds at long ranges. That's another reason why I like very high velocity, flat shooting rounds. The longer the bullet is in flight, the more the wind can deflect it, also the farther the target can move, out of the way of the bullet. People don't realize how much ground a animal can cover in the time it takes a bullet to cover 700 yards, when just walking.

The more you shoot at long range, in various conditions, the better. Good luck, from what I have seen and read about hunting ibex, they are probably the hardest hunt you can go on, period. Big horns are the hardest in North America, the dall sheep are probably the hardest of the big horns. As hard as those are to hunt, ibex from what I have read, make hunting big horn, look easy.

Comment

I would probably look at a Finnlight for trigger reliability. Out of their stock Calibers I would look at 6.5 cm, 7wsm or 7rm in that order. Scope I would look at reliability over weight or glass. Atacr 4x16. Would look kind of funny lightweight rifle with heavy scope but that is what I would do for a once in a lifetime hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X