Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
    Where you at?
    I did forget to mention my location in my seed germination question. I'm located in Liberty, Texas. I plan on planting seeds in my containers this morning.

Comment

Potatoes going in today Pontiac reds and kennebec whites

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
        I did forget to mention my location in my seed germination question. I'm located in Liberty, Texas. I plan on planting seeds in my containers this morning.

Chachere feed store in liberty usually has a good variety of seeds and plants.

Comment

I'm not a gardener, but with everything going on now with supply and prices, I offered to help my mom with a garden this year at my house. Getting a late start, but planning to break ground today. I sprayed for weeds and grass last weekend. She's good at this stuff, and it'll give us an opportunity to spend some time together. Got a spot where I've been dumping leaves for the past 3 years. Hopefully it'll be good soil.

Comment

Tilled my garden area today. About 1/8 the size of last year. Mixed in coffee grounds, hay and rabbit poop. Going to keep it covered for awhile to see if that helps keep the weeds down this year. Decided this was easier than raised beds this year. Went this morning to get mushroom compost they sold out early though. I let my kids each pick something to grow. Watermelon, strawberries and cantaloupe. Watermelon and cantaloupe shouldn’t be hard but clueless on strawberries. Tried 3-4 times with low to no yield. Any advice on strawberries appreciated.
            Attached Files

Comment

First year here. I have a soil test question. What fertilizer should I be looking at? Also rows or flat planting opinions? I don’t have very nutritious soil it’s doesn’t look like. I made some rows to see how it would look, but I’ve been told flat planting is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In for information.
                New at this so I won't be much help.

Comment

Got my raised bed troughs in position today and started filling them with soil.

Comment

Gotta get going on mine

Comment

Anyone use crushed oyster shells in their gardens??

Comment

Novice blackberry question here. I am making a 4ft raised bed with 4ft hog panel for a our first serious blackberry setup. How many blackberry plants do I need to buy from Home Depot to put in the 4ft bed to get a good full cover every year?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          Novice blackberry question here. I am making a 4ft raised bed with 4ft hog panel for a our first serious blackberry setup. How many blackberry plants do I need to buy from Home Depot to put in the 4ft bed to get a good full cover every year?
                          Lot of that depends on variety... Semi-erect cane plants will allow you to put more than a running cane plant... I have Prime-Ark Freedom Thornless flowering primo-cane blackberries and they require at least 2 foot spacing to give them room to grow. They are semi-erect cane plants and I let 'em get about 4 feet high, then top them. That makes them grow lateral canes and that's where most of your berries will come from. The more lateral canes you have, the more berries you will get as opposed to just letting a main cane grow tall and lay over... With only 4 feet of growing space, you'll not get but maybe 2 plants in that box. To give you an idea of what those Prime-Ark Freedom berries look like, here's a couple pics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7298.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	24678813

Name:	IMG_7296.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	24678814

This is 4 wild dewberries and 4 of the Prime-Ark Freedom berries, oh and did I mention, NO THORNS!! Yes, they're thornless too!!

Name:	IMG_7338.jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	24678815

Comment

Well, I'm trying to maintain my optimism for a garden this year... My bride and I have 2 of the Hoss Tools 162 slot seed starting trays in the grow room... Dang near every seed has germinated! Got way more plants than I have garden space IF it dries out enough for me to till... Our first year and trying to start our plants from seeds. Got maters, squash, peppers(lots of peppers), egg plants, Swiss Chard, broccoli, cukes, zucchini, and a few others I'm forgetting right now. Plus this year we are planning on quite a spread of pollinator attracting flowers, so have Marigold mixes and Zinnias (both giant and dwarf) started...

Name:	IMG_2170.JPG
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	24678816

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	24678817

However, we ain't quite ready to till just yet!!

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	24678818

Comment

Oh yea, this is what those berries do best!!

Name:	IMG_7341.jpg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	24678819

Name:	IMG_7348.jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	24678820

Name:	IMG_7350.jpg
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	24678821

Name:	IMG_7351.jpg
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	24678822

Comment

Anyone in the Houston area try to grow a 3n1 or 5n1 apple tree? The internet has mixed information on whether they’ll work around here.

I brought some dewberry vines home from the lease last year and put them in a big pot. Looking forward to getting some berries!

Comment

Working...
                                X