No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may have been posted somewhere but I couldn't find it. What kind of composted are yall using? I thought of doing a tumbling composted and came across one that tumbles on top of a 50 gal rain barrel. But it is $320 and I am not sure i can justify that. Curious to know what you guys are using.

Comment

We have still been producing good.
      Finally got squash and zucchini probably picking 30lbs a week.

Still getting some cucumbers around 15lbs a week.

Peppers are not doing good for some reason just not putting much on.

If y’all like cherry tomato I suggest planting Juliet hybrids they are a larger Roma shaped cherry but they seem to not be bothered by the heat. I probably picked 25lbs this week.

Cantaloupe are steady producing 8-10 every other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our sun gold cherry tomatoes are the only maters still producing... Peppers are doing real well... I've got two late plantings of cayenne peppers and the early pods are bright red... hope to get a bush full so I can roast and grind them.
        Our second planting of pink eye peas are doing real well...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Our sun gold cherry tomatoes are the only maters still producing... Peppers are doing real well... I've got two late plantings of cayenne peppers and the early pods are bright red... hope to get a bush full so I can roast and grind them.

I always have a hard time with peppers I don’t get it they are so easy but they just don’t get to be a good size for me.

Comment

What temp do you roast at and about how long does it take?

Comment

Originally posted by waterspiderpd27 View Post
              What temp do you roast at and about how long does it take?

I watched a video the boys at Hoss Tools did on YouTube... They picked the peppers, washed them, dried them and cut off the little green top caps, spread them on a drying rack in the oven set at about 160-170, put 'em in about dark and left them overnight... Next morning, took 'em out and dumped them in a food processor and ground 'em up... About the simplest thing I ever saw...

Comment

Found the video:
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUpaStRnNEI&t=8s"]THIS IS SO EASY! Make Fresh Red Pepper Flakes at Home! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I watched a video the boys at Hoss Tools did on YouTube... They picked the peppers, washed them, dried them and cut off the little green top caps, spread them on a drying rack in the oven set at about 160-170, put 'em in about dark and left them overnight... Next morning, took 'em out and dumped them in a food processor and ground 'em up... About the simplest thing I ever saw...

That's the same thing I do Charlie. Except I use my blender. Beware though. They produce a gas that will make you cough your head off if you inhale to much.

As for those who are having a slow or low mator production, just keep the plants alive. They will come back when Aug is over. And you'll prob get some fall fruit from them. I always got two harvest from mine. One in the late spring, one in the fall. The smaller varieties do really well doing this. You'll start seeing blooms in Sept. Manually pollinate if you need to. I do it by finger and thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Need some fall gardening advice. Here's the situation:

Leon County. I think Zone III. Really sandy loam soil (a little too much sand is my guess).

Wife wants a fall garden. Both us have never done anything except raised beds and containers.

I have access to a PTO tiller.

I have a box blade with rippers.

The area she wants the garden is has quite a bit of shade (I'm a little concerned about too much shade). Really nowhere on our place that doesn't have a lot of shade except where we're going to build a house.

We have the Monterrey Mushroom factory in Madisonville about 25 miles away that sells/gives away the mushroom mulch that a lot of people use.

So any advice on the best way to prep ground, make rows with nothing but a 34hp kubota and tiller, and get everything in the ground before it's too late?

Seeds or starters?

Fertilizer options (never had soil tested)?

Anything else?

Anything on here that doesn't apply to our area/situation? https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/b...ide-for-texas/
                    That mushroom mulch is some good stuff. Friend of mine gets it for his garden.

Comment

2022 Gardening Thread

Ill post up. Was waiting for my lil farmers market to blossom but that aint happening lol. I had 7 loads of premium soil spread over an area previously glyed (month prior). 10 rows at 25 yds. Massive potato hill. Onions, zucchini , beans, peas, chard, asparagus, corn, watermelons…. On and on.

I got the corner posts in the ground but too busy to get to fencing even though all materials onsite. Irrigation from a t post sprayer

Deer ate the corn at maturation. Bugs ate everything else except the zucchini, taters, and onions. Tried lady bugs. They got the bugs but in their (veggies) weakened condition the drought finished them off.

Checked the onions and they look small and dry. I was watering daily twice daily for 15 min 8a and 8p. Turned it up to 30 today. We got 0.75 inches this eve. First rain on my place since May.

If you need dust or weeds though just holler [emoji23]

Comment

Did a first picking yesterday evening on our second planting of purple hull peas (top pick pink eyes)... 2 rows 40 feet long, picked over 1/2 a bushel and can't even miss the ones we picked... Just got the purple mature ones... 3/4 or more are not ready yet... MUCH better than the first planting... About to plow under the corn... between crows, drought early on, and corn earworms... didn't harvest a single ear... Corn was so stressed out, it started tasseling before it was 18" tall... Maters all pretty much gone... plants still healthy with new growth. Just too hot to set blooms. Gonna try to keep them viable until it cools off some in hope of a late bloom/crop... Never tried that before. Many of the bell peppers are getting sun scald now, so will pick when small for cooking purposes... Jalapeno's are still going gang busters... Second crop of blackberries are coming along now too... Lots of blooms and red berries... Picked about a quart of black ones Sunday after church... will probably have a gallon or so ready by this weekend... Fingers crossed...
                        Still no rain.. drip tape has saved everything except the corn... Didn't get the drip tape in until it was too late for it...

Comment

Several prime day deals for garden supplies. I picked up some horticulture aloe, sulfur, bone meal, fish hydroslate and an hlvp sprayer. For under a hundy.
                          Last edited by ladrones; 07-12-2022, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
                            Is there good wind flow around the tomatoes? If not you can try shaking the flower clusters by hand to loosen the pollen. Not sure what variety you have, but a lot of the bigger ones stop setting fruit when daytime temps are above 90. Our cherry tomatoes and sunshine snackers are doing good, but the bigger varieties are slowing down.
                            Airflow is decent, but I went through last night and trimmed a bunch of suckers to try to help them out a bit. I found 4 or 5 tiny tomatoes about the size of a nickel though, so maybe things are improving. Going to keep them trimmed and got a shade cloth I'm going to experiment with. If those things don't work, I'll keep them watered and fertilized and hope I get some this fall.

Corn was down, but I still got enough to enjoy meals for a couple weeks. Cucumbers have slowed a bit but are still producing. I have pickles coming out of my ears this year . Okra is really taking off in the heat. Cut about half my sunflower heads. Once the other half dry out more I'll cut those too and see what kinds of seeds I can get.

Pepper varieties are all coming along nicely. Found a hornworm on my reaper plant last week though and it did a ton of damage in just a day . Could have eaten anything else but picked the plant that grows the slowest . Have a few jalapeno plants that the aphids are flat wearing out, but luckily they're not really messing with anything else. Going to try some soap out this weekend and see if I can get them taken care of.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              When do you guys give up on your tomato plant. I have 3 plants this year that are nearing 5 tall and each only produced 2 tomatoes about 3 weeks after planting. Never had that happen. Do i keep waiting or uproot and replace? I think these were Celebrity.
                              If night time temps aren't getting below 70 degrees, full size tomatoes put on fruit.

Comment

Not if it’s too hot, which is likely why you aren’t having any tomatoes

Comment

Working...
                                X