Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brought in potatoes yesterday. They came out small but tasty. I think my soil was too dense or compact. Onions came out pretty small too.

Got seven cantaloupe on the vine and one watermelon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When do you guys give up on your tomato plant. I have 3 plants this year that are nearing 5 tall and each only produced 2 tomatoes about 3 weeks after planting. Never had that happen. Do i keep waiting or uproot and replace? I think these were Celebrity.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        When do you guys give up on your tomato plant. I have 3 plants this year that are nearing 5 tall and each only produced 2 tomatoes about 3 weeks after planting. Never had that happen. Do i keep waiting or uproot and replace? I think these were Celebrity.
        In for answers. I'm in the same boat. I have 5 plants that all look great, but have nothing happening. They've got flowers and I have pollinators around. Even in this heat everything else is producing nicely, except these tomatoes.

Comment

As I've stated before in this thread, we were very late planting our garden because of too much rain... (sure could use some of it now though!!)... Having said that, with the late planting and extreme early heat, our tomatoes probably did the worst of everything we planted!! Only ones that did decently was the small cherry tomatoes. In fact, they are still blooming and baring fruits... Both determinates, made a few lower crop maters, even fewer mid-plant fruits, and practically nothing in the upper plant. They're still blooming, but too hot to set any fruits on the blooms... Worst mater production we ever had other than last year when EVERYTHING drowned and we gave up...
          Squash did OK, but first planting is done. Have second planting just now getting a few blooms. Okra is just now beginning to produce enough so we have to cut it every day.
          Corn was a total bust.
          Field Peas (top pick pink eye) first planting just barely produced, but the second planting looks like we are about to have purple hull peas running out our ears!! YEA!! We were completely out of peas in the freezer after 2 years of no production...
          Have jalapenos runnin' out our ears! Planted the Colosass variety this year, and they are giving me a grocery bag full of peppers every 2-3 days and no signs of letting up!
          Cukes only barely successful. We put up whole and sliced pickles of 2-3 varieties, but not what we expected...
          Grow bag garden overall though I'd consider a very good success for a first attempt. I will have it much better organized for the Fall garden and next Spring's garden... Much prefer it to in-ground garden for many things.
          The other thing we did this year that we'll do much more of next year is planted flowers... dwarf and giant Zinnias, and a couple varities of Marigolds (and something else that I can't remember now), but they all did really good and we have really enjoyed the flowers!! For sure added a lot of color to the garden (both in-ground and bag gardens)...

I'll try to get some pics posted up this weekend if I get a chance.

What all are Y'all planting for your Fall gardens? It's looking like our Fall garden will be as big as our Spring garden!! Took us most of the Spring this year to figure out this bag gardening gig with the automated watering, fertilizing, and weed/pest control. We've learned so, so much... I'm in hopes that translates to a productive Fall garden that goes much smoother than the Spring...

Comment

I like the idea of the flowers within the garden you all have been discussing. I have never had a fall garden but may dabble into it this year.

Comment

We planted rows or marigolds and celosia's in our garden this year. The celosia's are absolutely beautiful but didn't last long. We probably won't do those again. The marigolds appeared to die off quickly but sprung back up with the vengeance on their own and are doing really well. I think the roots just needed to take to the new soil. Tinkering around with native sunflowers to see if we can find a good hearty flowering plant to use next year along with marigolds again.

Comment

We planted rows or marigolds and celosia's in our garden this year. The celosia's are absolutely beautiful but didn't last long. We probably won't do those again. The marigolds appeared to die off quickly but sprung back up with the vengeance on their own and are doing really well. I think the roots just needed to take to the new soil. Tinkering around with native sunflowers to see if we can find a good hearty flowering plant to use next year along with marigolds again.
                Give the various varieties of Zinnias a shot... They're widely different, last a long time, make great cut flower arrangements, and the more you cut 'em, the more they branch out/bush out and produce more flowers... In our in-ground garden, we planted a mixed color packet of giant Zinnias, and those suckers are just beautiful with reds, yellows, pinks, purple... at least 8-10 different colors all in one little packet... The seeds are very easy to harvest, so we've been letting some of each color got to seed... Heck, one flower is literally hundreds of seeds...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Give the various varieties of Zinnias a shot... They're widely different, last a long time, make great cut flower arrangements, and the more you cut 'em, the more they branch out/bush out and produce more flowers... In our in-ground garden, we planted a mixed color packet of giant Zinnias, and those suckers are just beautiful with reds, yellows, pinks, purple... at least 8-10 different colors all in one little packet... The seeds are very easy to harvest, so we've been letting some of each color got to seed... Heck, one flower is literally hundreds of seeds...
                  Will do! Looked them up and it says to plant April and July in Texas....will see if my local Home Depot has them in the flower seed section this evening. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                    In for answers. I'm in the same boat. I have 5 plants that all look great, but have nothing happening. They've got flowers and I have pollinators around. Even in this heat everything else is producing nicely, except these tomatoes.
                    Is there good wind flow around the tomatoes? If not you can try shaking the flower clusters by hand to loosen the pollen. Not sure what variety you have, but a lot of the bigger ones stop setting fruit when daytime temps are above 90. Our cherry tomatoes and sunshine snackers are doing good, but the bigger varieties are slowing down.

Comment

Is this year a bust?

I only planted Better Boy and Sweet 100s, and so far they get buds, but they fall off.

The plant itself looks good, as I've been good about water. However, with this heat, I'm ready to toss in the towel.

So, I ask again, is this year just lost?

Should add. I don't do this to save money. I plant the tomatoes I feel have great taste and normally have produced by now. Just disappointed as this is the first time I've run into this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        As I've stated before in this thread, we were very late planting our garden because of too much rain... (sure could use some of it now though!!)... Having said that, with the late planting and extreme early heat, our tomatoes probably did the worst of everything we planted!! Only ones that did decently was the small cherry tomatoes. In fact, they are still blooming and baring fruits... Both determinates, made a few lower crop maters, even fewer mid-plant fruits, and practically nothing in the upper plant. They're still blooming, but too hot to set any fruits on the blooms... Worst mater production we ever had other than last year when EVERYTHING drowned and we gave up...
                        Squash did OK, but first planting is done. Have second planting just now getting a few blooms. Okra is just now beginning to produce enough so we have to cut it every day.
                        Corn was a total bust.
                        Field Peas (top pick pink eye) first planting just barely produced, but the second planting looks like we are about to have purple hull peas running out our ears!! YEA!! We were completely out of peas in the freezer after 2 years of no production...
                        Have jalapenos runnin' out our ears! Planted the Colosass variety this year, and they are giving me a grocery bag full of peppers every 2-3 days and no signs of letting up!
                        Cukes only barely successful. We put up whole and sliced pickles of 2-3 varieties, but not what we expected...
                        Grow bag garden overall though I'd consider a very good success for a first attempt. I will have it much better organized for the Fall garden and next Spring's garden... Much prefer it to in-ground garden for many things.
                        The other thing we did this year that we'll do much more of next year is planted flowers... dwarf and giant Zinnias, and a couple varities of Marigolds (and something else that I can't remember now), but they all did really good and we have really enjoyed the flowers!! For sure added a lot of color to the garden (both in-ground and bag gardens)...

I'll try to get some pics posted up this weekend if I get a chance.

What all are Y'all planting for your Fall gardens? It's looking like our Fall garden will be as big as our Spring garden!! Took us most of the Spring this year to figure out this bag gardening gig with the automated watering, fertilizing, and weed/pest control. We've learned so, so much... I'm in hopes that translates to a productive Fall garden that goes much smoother than the Spring...

Well crap. Read this after I posted.

Feel like Kevin Costner in Water World.

Comment

My garden is about shot with these high temps. Had a good year though. Melons still coming on. Have cucumber,squash and zucch seedlings growing to transplant later for hopefully some fall stuff. We had a bumper year on maters,peppers and squashes. Okra still going too. I’m about tired of taking care of the dang thing But everything sure does taste good!

Comment

My green beans were a good crop this year but I just didn’t plant enough.
                            Corn was a disappointment but that was all my fault.
                            Tomatoes grew great but not one single fruit showed up.
                            I’ve gotten a few banana peppers and jalapeƱos but not much.
                            Cantaloupe is doing good but now I’m fighting grasshoppers. Dang things are eating into the rind.
                            Watermelon is doing good so far.
                            Only three lettuce heads came up but they’ve been putting out a good supply of leaf’s.
                            Potatoes were small as well as the onions.
                            Each year is a new learning experience.
                            I’m planning a fall garden. I’m thinking beans, corn, garlic, lettuce, potatoes and zucchini.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              Is this year a bust?

I only planted Better Boy and Sweet 100s, and so far they get buds, but they fall off.

The plant itself looks good, as I've been good about water. However, with this heat, I'm ready to toss in the towel.

So, I ask again, is this year just lost?

Should add. I don't do this to save money. I plant the tomatoes I feel have great taste and normally have produced by now. Just disappointed as this is the first time I've run into this issue.
                              Thats why i posted..been planting tomatoes as long as i can remember..never had this many look so good and not produce. My 1 million cherry tomato plant has 1 million flowers on it and is not producing. Really odd

Comment

Thats why i posted..been planting tomatoes as long as i can remember..never had this many look so good and not produce. My 1 million cherry tomato plant has 1 million flowers on it and is not producing. Really odd
                                It went from time to plant, to too hot to produce before production. Same thing that happened to me the last time I tried a garden in 04, or 06. Guess I'm jinxed and I took all of y'all with me...sorry!

Comment

Working...
                                X