No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have marigolds, dwarf zinnias and giant zinnias going now... first time we ever planted flowers! Must say we've enjoyed them. The zinnias last a long time when cut! Haven't cut any marigolds, but we have bags of seeds from those suckers!!

Comment

I have better luck just starting them in the ground

Comment

I made paper from plants. I decided to buy some flowers at the store to take the petals later. I like the way paper is made of them. Some of the plants without buds I planted in my greenhouse. In Agricultural Netting found a garden netting. I used it for garden work and some to make a netting screen. It is dense and almost does not deform. I kept a few flowers for planting in pots. I plan to buy more seeds, but I don't understand how they need to be nurtured to take off.

Comment

Originally posted by WiliamKennedi View Post
          I made paper from plants. I decided to buy some flowers at the store to take the petals later. I like the way paper is made of them. Some of the plants without buds I planted in my greenhouse. In Agricultural Netting found a garden netting. I used it for garden work and some to make a netting screen. It is dense and almost does not deform. I kept a few flowers for planting in pots. I plan to buy more seeds, but I don't understand how they need to be nurtured to take off.
          What type of paper? What do you do with it?

Comment

What are these black spots on my mater leaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WiliamKennedi View Post

As a result, I managed to find all the seeds I need, now it remains to wait until they grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                What are these black spots on my mater leaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My guess is southern blight. Pretty much impossible to treat. Soil borne

Comment

Dad brag! I got two cherry tomato plants, only one produces anything. My boy is 2 and a half and we just went out to look at the garden. He went and inspected everything and said, "Daddy, tomatoes are ready to pick." Sure enough, there were some that could been picked. I never taught him anything about tomatoes, figured it would go over his head. But sure enough, only 1 unripe mater made its way into the bucket.

I don't know who taught him this but certainly not Clay "spectracide" T.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been a clemson spineless fan as long as can remember but trying to broaden out....got my first French Quarters Pink after much much care to get this plant to this stage. At one point it didnt have a single leaf left on it from a bug attack.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What do you guys do for ants when they invade your okra? I've never had this problem before, but the dang fire ants (at least that's what they look like to me) are literally eating every pod on my plants before they drop the bloom good... I have a 40 foot row of cowhorn and jambalaya and almost every small pod is full of ants!! The plants themselves seem to be healthy and I cannot find a big mound nearby, but the ants climb the stems and completely fill the inside of the pods...
                      Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        What do you guys do for ants when they invade your okra? I've never had this problem before, but the dang fire ants (at least that's what they look like to me) are literally eating every pod on my plants before they drop the bloom good... I have a 40 foot row of cowhorn and jambalaya and almost every small pod is full of ants!! The plants themselves seem to be healthy and I cannot find a big mound nearby, but the ants climb the stems and completely fill the inside of the pods...
                        Yeah its odd the attraction ants have to okra. I don't get the fire ants I get a smaller black ant all over my okra. I sprayed that Dr. Earths vegetable spray the past couple years to keep them off. But its greeny weenie hippy spray....im sure there's a better chemical spray to keep them off. (we try to be as organic as possible).

Comment

Yea, I've used pretty much organic stuff too... Strongest stuff I've used so far (though not yet on the ants) is Monterey's Bug Buster II. It's an organic pyrethrin... I'll try that this evening and watch the results over the weekend...

Comment

Diatomaceous Earth for me

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              Diatomaceous Earth for me
                              I have that and a blower for it. did you put it on your plants or just the ground? I thought that stuff was for soft bodied pests? Does it work on ants too? I'll sure give it a whirl. I have enough of it to make the ground look like it snowed around the plants if it will work!!

Comment

I have that and a blower for it. did you put it on your plants or just the ground? I thought that stuff was for soft bodied pests? Does it work on ants too? I'll sure give it a whirl. I have enough of it to make the ground look like it snowed around the plants if it will work!!
                                I use it for ants with decent results. I typically use on ground but I'm sure it would be fine on the plant itself. It may also help it from getting wet. Only issues with DE is it's pretty much useless once it gets wet. Just have to reapply. Let us know your results if you go that route.

Comment

Working...
                                X