Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
    Plants are looking good Blood Trail, Saltwater, and Mountaineer

Made 4 more pints of pickles last night, plus had a few cukes for quality control testing purposes

Also made some pasta with tomato sauce left over from last year's canning. Added some fresh basil and thyme and dang that stuff was good. Blows store-bought stuff out of the water. No pics of the final product though. It didn't last long

Love the looks of those pickles!! We did 5 quarts and a pint on Sunday evening... Tried some Polish Dills... One jar did not seal, so It's in the fridge... can't wait to try 'em out. 2 whole and 3 sliced...

BTW, is that Elephant Garlic?? Cloves look yuuuge!! I've heard it was actually the best tasting/seasoning garlic, but have zero experience with it. Thinking about starting some of it next Spring, if nothing else for bug control...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Got a very late start with my maters (and everything else this year), but they're coming along now pretty well... FINALLY!!
      These sun gold "cherry" tomatoes are like eatin' candy they're so sweet... Not sure what to do with all of 'em... Never tried canning cherry tomatoes. Anyone do that? And if so, what did you do with 'em?

These are Bela Rosa's, a determinate that I've never grown before... So far, they're making beautiful fruits and very uniform... Have several clusters of 3 hanging on well supported plants that are almost big as a softball!! A few are just starting to turn a bit. I'm thinking I'll try wrapping my cages in bird netting and trying to let them ripen on the vine...

Starting to see a few of those assassin bugs that poke maters hanging around... Also having to battle grasshoppers on the plants that are on the perimeter of the garden... Over all though it's been a good though late Spring garden...

Gonna be diggin' taters this week one evening... Not too hopeful of getting much... Think I planted too many plants too close together in the bags... Have tried a couple so far and got a good number of potatoes out of each bag, but they were small, none bigger than a baseball... so I have let these go as long as I can... we'll see...
      We did a taste test on cherokee purples last night. We had one that we missed that ripened on the vine and one that we ripened at home. We couldn't tell the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        BTW, is that Elephant Garlic?? Cloves look yuuuge!! I've heard it was actually the best tasting/seasoning garlic, but have zero experience with it. Thinking about starting some of it next Spring, if nothing else for bug control...
        We did a year of different garlics to test the waters. I was really disappointed in the Elephant Garlic, it was so mild that it literally didn't flavor anything for its size. The purple garlics we grew had a garlic/body odor pungent smell to them. Its hard to beat just plain ol artichoke garlic or whatever its called.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          We did a year of different garlics to test the waters. I was really disappointed in the Elephant Garlic, it was so mild that it literally didn't flavor anything for its size. The purple garlics we grew had a garlic/body odor pungent smell to them. Its hard to beat just plain ol artichoke garlic or whatever its called.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks garlic smells like BO!! My thoughts exactly!! For me personally, garlic of any style (fresh, canned, dried, salt, etc.) is like Brylcream... a little dab 'll do ya!!

Comment

Well gang, here's a pic of my taters loaded up in my little garden trailer... As you can see, they're struggling... I took the worst looking bag and dumped it out... Got a nice mess of taters in it. It was one that I had planted leftover pieces in so had too many plants in the bag. Taters were small, but there was a fair number of them so I guess I'm pleased with how they turned out... Wife says we're having fresh sliced fried taters, and squash/zuch's tomorrow for supper!! I'm OK with that for sure!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2519.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	24686057

These Sun Gold cherry tomatoes are going nuts... I picked everything that had any color 3 days ago and they're loaded down again... I'm being invaded by leaf-footed bugs though, so will probably have to resort to strong measures to get those suckers! I squished quite a few while picking these this afternoon...

Name:	IMG_2523.JPG
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	24686058

Name:	IMG_2525.JPG
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	24686059

This is that Bever Dam Hot pepper plant I've posted before... Peppers are finally starting to turn red! That reddest one is almost 10 inches long!! Don't know what I'm gonna do with 'em but they sure are a pretty pepper to grow!

Name:	IMG_2522.JPG
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	24686060

Name:	IMG_2520.JPG
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	24686061

Name:	IMG_2521.JPG
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	24686062

This is the batch of Polish Dills from last night.

Name:	IMG_2500.JPG
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24686063

Name:	IMG_2505.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	24686064

In addition to the taters, this was today's harvest.

Name:	IMG_2526.JPG
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	24686065

Name:	IMG_2527.JPG
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	24686066

Look at the size of these jalapenos! Can't wait to make some poppers out of them. Gonna try making some out of the banana peppers as well...

Name:	IMG_2528.JPG
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	24686067

Name:	IMG_2529.JPG
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	24686068

2 different kinds of poblanos coming along but not ready to pick just yet...
            I'm really enjoying growing all these peppers, but DANG, I'm not sure what we're gonna do with all of 'em!! Just planted 2 different kinds of Cayenne 2 weeks ago and they're doing really well... have 12 plants! Gonna be lots of hot pepper flakes n dried peppers from those plants I hope!

Comment

How’s yalls garden doing??

Mine is on the struggle bus for sure! The heat is relentless I’ve been watering every other night from 9pm-5:00am on my drip irrigation.

I’ve been producing TONS of cucumbers and pickles, okra is doing well, and Juliet hybrid cherry tomatoes are doing good too. Still getting decent eggplant.

Peppers have slowed down a lot and large tomatoes are hardly setting. No green beans to speak of. I’m going to start digging potatoes soon and my corn is coming in pretty good.

Our flowers are doing great and selling pretty good too.

Melons are coming in but pretty slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Who do you sell your flower arrangements to? Do you mind posting a picture of your actual flower garden? Thank you in advance.

Comment

WOW Chris, those pics are incredible!! LOVE the eggplants! And those flowers, just WOW!! You sir don't have a garden. You have a small Truck Farm!! Let's see some pics of the whole garden!! I wish I had enough shade cloth to cover my garden from the relentless sun! Practically no new "Nightshades" of any variety now other than the little Sun Gold's... Peppers aren't even setting any blooms... I fear it's only gonna get worse between now and October!

This is our first year to actually plant and grow flowers, and we're really enjoying them. Haven't planted any sunflower varieties, but your pics make me want to do that nest spring for sure, maybe even in the Fall garden.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    How’s yalls garden doing??

Mine is on the struggle bus for sure! The heat is relentless I’ve been watering every other night from 9pm-5:00am on my drip irrigation.

I’ve been producing TONS of cucumbers and pickles, okra is doing well, and Juliet hybrid cherry tomatoes are doing good too. Still getting decent eggplant.

Peppers have slowed down a lot and large tomatoes are hardly setting. No green beans to speak of. I’m going to start digging potatoes soon and my corn is coming in pretty good.

Our flowers are doing great and selling pretty good too.

Melons are coming in but pretty slow.

Definitely makes me very shy of posting my harvesting

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                      Definitely makes me very shy of posting my harvesting

No kidding!

Comment

My squash are dead . Thanks to bugs . Getting a few cherry tomatoes.

Comment

First time I have had Vine Borers and they screwed my squash big time!

Comment

i have had good luck with vine borer control using aluminum foil wrap. To protect the main stem of the plant, wrap it with foil. This will prevent squash vine borer moths from laying their eggs on the stem.

Comment

It’s hard to get good pictures of the full garden.. I have 3 plots..

Main garden is where I plan all my vegetables it’s roughly 100x100 give or take I’ve got about 18-20 rows in that one.

My melon patch/flowers is about 125x180 this year I didn’t plant as much in it but I’ve got 4-5 rows of flowers and 4-5 rows of mellons.

My pumpkin patch/ fall garden area this year is about 80x125 i will plant pumpkin soon.

Comment

Makes my back hurt Chris just lookin' at that, but that is a fine looking patch of dirt!! Sure wish I had that loamy soil!! We've cut our plots back from a 60 x 60 and main garden of 20 rows 150 feet long to one plot that is about 40 x 80... 10 rows 80 feet long plus our bag garden... What you have there is a full time job for 2 people!!

Comment

Working...
                                X