2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wytex View Post
    We had a hard freeze weekend before last and hopefully getting tp plant my peppers and tomatoes next weekend up here.
    Pretty jealous of you all's gardens so far.
    I have onions and shallots with garlic in the ground is all.
    By mid Sept we will frost again.
    Yea, well most of us envy your 4 real seasons too!!

Comment

Fried zucchini from the garden.
      Attached Files

Comment

Mockingbirds are eating my tomatoes and the blooms on my squash plants… Besides bird netting is there anything I can do to keep them away??

Comment

Pick your tomatoes as soon as the start turning red or blushing. Typically this starts at the bottom of the tomato.
          You can also put plastic red Christmas ornaments out. They seem to deter the birds after a few pecks.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
            Pick your tomatoes as soon as the start turning red or blushing. Typically this starts at the bottom of the tomato.
            You can also put plastic red Christmas ornaments out. They seem to deter the birds after a few pecks.

That's a GREAT idea!! Haven't tried that! So far, I've been lucky and not had much bird damage on maters, but they're kickin' my arse on my blackberries!! Only good thing is the blackberries are so prolific, I'm still getting plenty... Maybe that's why they haven't hit my maters yet... They like the berries better!!

Comment

Installed a drip irrigation system in the last two days. Really easy to do and I was very pleased how deep down the water got into the soil. Well worth the time and money spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Geoff, a drip system will save you SO much time and give you healthier plants!! I have adjustable emitters in every bag of my bag garden and underground drip tape in my corn/pea patch... I also use soluble fertilizer and inject it through the systems... Small dose feeds regularly instead of the old standard triple 13 granular slow release is WAY better... It's a learning process, but by next season, I think I'll have it down... I even have my watering system on an automatic timer so everything gets watered whether we're home or not...

Comment

Had some tomatoes just starting to blush when I left for rockport Thursday night. Some were really big ones that I was very excited about. A rabbit or squirrel decided they needed to defile them. Ugh.

Did manage a few though along with a yellow bell and a few pounds of green beans.

Looks like about 4 or 5 dozen tomatoes left to go.

Comment

2022 Gardening Thread

Couple of my beefsteaks are starting to blush. My black beauties are gettin black and my green zebras got maybe a week left. The Aunt Ruby’s German Green maters are getting big.

As for my super peppers, my super hot habaneros and chocolate reaper plant got pods.

Man, these green zebras sho is purdy:

Comment

Got a very late start with my maters (and everything else this year), but they're coming along now pretty well... FINALLY!!
                      These sun gold "cherry" tomatoes are like eatin' candy they're so sweet... Not sure what to do with all of 'em... Never tried canning cherry tomatoes. Anyone do that? And if so, what did you do with 'em?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2513.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	24686005

Name:	IMG_2512.JPG
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	24686006

These are Bela Rosa's, a determinate that I've never grown before... So far, they're making beautiful fruits and very uniform... Have several clusters of 3 hanging on well supported plants that are almost big as a softball!! A few are just starting to turn a bit. I'm thinking I'll try wrapping my cages in bird netting and trying to let them ripen on the vine...

Name:	IMG_2516.JPG
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	24686007

Name:	IMG_2515.JPG
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	24686008

Starting to see a few of those assassin bugs that poke maters hanging around... Also having to battle grasshoppers on the plants that are on the perimeter of the garden... Over all though it's been a good though late Spring garden...

Gonna be diggin' taters this week one evening... Not too hopeful of getting much... Think I planted too many plants too close together in the bags... Have tried a couple so far and got a good number of potatoes out of each bag, but they were small, none bigger than a baseball... so I have let these go as long as I can... we'll see...

Comment

Are the tops of your potatoes still green or have they died off Charlie?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

I am also wondering about this. How do I know when I should dig out the taters? These are red potatoes and were planted mid Feb. They were stunted from bugs for a while but took off again recently.

Comment

Plants are looking good Blood Trail, Saltwater, and Mountaineer

Made 4 more pints of pickles last night, plus had a few cukes for quality control testing purposes

Also made some pasta with tomato sauce left over from last year's canning. Added some fresh basil and thyme and dang that stuff was good. Blows store-bought stuff out of the water. No pics of the final product though. It didn't last long
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              They are starting to look pretty poor... Tops yellowing, even dying in a couple cases... Planning to harvest them this weekend if not before... The variety I planted has a 75 day maturity date and that was June 5th... Wife thinks we need to not wait for the weekend, but as long as they don't get overly wet, they'll be just fine sitting in the ground waiting on the rest that might still be growing a little...
                              If I can remember, I'll shoot a pic this evening and post... I have them in a trailer. Back when that last storm was supposed to drench us, I loaded them in the trailer and put 'em in the barn so they didn't get too wet... Moved them back out into the sun, but still in the trailer... been hand watering them since then (bout 2 weeks or so).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                                I am also wondering about this. How do I know when I should dig out the taters? These are red potatoes and were planted mid Feb. They were stunted from bugs for a while but took off again recently.

Healthy as those potato plants look, I'd let 'em go... As long as you water them evenly and regularly and they stay green, even growing larger tops, the taters will be fine and will get bigger, the longer you wait. Blooming tops have nothing to do with timing on harvest. It's the health of the tops that should dictate when to harvest... When the tops start to yellow and no matter what you do, they do not respond healthily, it's time...

Comment

Working...
                                X