2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
    Pick your tomatoes when they start blushing.
    Yep. I always pick mine just as they start to turn. Less enticing for the critters and the plant can carry on with making more

Comment

Yep, we have a bunch of those mater-peckin' sap-suckers too! One thing that I have found though that seems to deter them is a few years ago, I started to put a 4 sided cage around my mater plants instead of sticking them. They don't seem to like going inside those cages so we've been able to let the maters ripen more on the vine... They sure seem to get a lot more sweet and flavorful if you can do that... I made my cages out of cut up sections of cattle panels wired/zip-tied together, 2 squares per side... They fit over my 10 gallon grow bags perfectly and are very stable.

Comment

I started leaving a container of water out by the tomato plants last year and greatly reduced damage from rodents and birds that are looking for moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I started picking the moment they show signs or redness. Problem solved.

Comment

I’ve got bugs out of control this year. Been having a hard time getting them under control…. Lost several plants already. Good luck!

Comment

I lost a small squash plant to a borer earlier this week

I was a little behind on planting but my first squash, green beans, and cucs are starting to grow. Sunflowers, tomatoes, corn, and peppers are coming along nicely. Okra is a little behind but they're catching up.

Transplanted my Reaper, Coolapeno, and a handful of other peppers earlier. Fingers crossed no issues with the transplant.

Didn't have good germination with a couple varieties so I have more seeds on the way and am going to try them again. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm.

Comment

I just read up on recent posts. I guess borers got my zucc plants while I was in New England because when I came back they were zapped and dead, yet squash were not affected.

Amana Orange, Cherokee Purple, Golden Jubilee, Yellow pear cherry, and red cherry tomato plants are booming, got a head start on okra and they are over 2' tall, cucumbers are starting to spread, lost all my cantalope and watermelon. Started some zucc/squash and melon seeds today. Kind of late but going to see what happens either way.

Mixed varities of peppers are starting to bud and basil is awaiting first tomato to be ready.

I tried some pickled green tomatoes at a brewery in Littleton, NH and man they were AWESOME! I plan on trying to can some and see how if can make them as delicious as I experienced

Comment

What caused this? It’s not a huge problem on my tomato plants as of now but I have noticed a few tomatoes with this. All green ones if it matters. I have killed several stink bugs. Maybe they did it?

Comment

Also you guys that say you pick your tomatoes as soon as you see a hint of red, do they taste just as good as one that ripens a n the vine? Also where are y’all allowing them to fully ripen? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Also you guys that say you pick your tomatoes as soon as you see a hint of red, do they taste just as good as one that ripens a n the vine? Also where are y’all allowing them to fully ripen? Thanks.

IMO, yes they do. I don't see any difference in taste. I love home grown tomatoes and eat for every meal during season. I also can as many as possible, whole/salsa/etc. I'm gonna dabble in marinara this year if I produce well.

Comment

Also, vine borer moth #2 went down today via the bug-a-salt. I wish I could post ldp's but the weapon does DESTRUCTION!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                          IMO, yes they do. I don't see any difference in taste. I love home grown tomatoes and eat for every meal during season. I also can as many as possible, whole/salsa/etc. I'm gonna dabble in marinara this year if I produce well.

Where are you allowing them to ripen. Outside or inside.

Comment

Inside

Comment

any of you guys raise worms in your garden? did it a few years back, it ben a hit. for me. so far.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                Where are you allowing them to ripen. Outside or inside.

Inside. You don't have to put in a windowsill, etc.....old wives tales. I have a wire basket that I throw them in. If you cant keep up, they take a little longer to ripen in the fridge. But once they start to turn, there's no stopping them

Comment

Working...
                                X