No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled a couple of bells earlier this week and my first roma this morning to get things started! Prolly pull my first cuke tomorrow. Everything is looking pretty good so far, knock on wood.

Comment

Maters have been pruned twice. They are responding to the rain we have gotten.

Eggplant putting on buds

Cukes are blooming

Peppers flowers have been pruned and pinched.

Bush beans are turning yellow…? Maybe too much water.

Comment

Don't have an area that gets enough sun for a garden. My sister bought me a Greenstalk Vertical planter, so I thought I'd give it a try. Been very pleased with it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
          Wife and I increased our garden size from 6 3'x8' raised beds to 9 beds with a 4'x4' herb bed. They are surrounded by cattle and hog panels to hopefully keep the deer out and chicken wire around the bottoms to keep the bunnies out.

Mater, several different varities, taters, sweet corn, squash, okra, bell peppers, onions and not sure what else.

I put the beds together and got the dirt in the beds, we both did the fence enclosure and the wife planted. Gardening and flower beds are the wife's hobby and stress relief!

We have gotten some of the onions, bunch onions and are waiting on the others to start producing. Life is good!

[ATTACH]1088482[/ATTACH]
          That looks cool, enjoy your crops!

Comment

Spent the better part of the day in the garden. Billed my 2 75-80’ rows of potatoes, tied up and pruned tomatoes, planted some roma tomatoes that were given to me, and did some weed control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lookin' really good Chris!! You are about 3 weeks or so ahead of me... Heck, didn't plant my corn n peas until the afternoon of Easter Sunday!! Bags are doing well though... just late getting them started...

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                Spent the better part of the day in the garden. Billed my 2 75-80’ rows of potatoes, tied up and pruned tomatoes, planted some roma tomatoes that were given to me, and did some weed control.
                How do you usually deal with squash bugs? ( I think they already found you plant).

Comment

That looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    How do you usually deal with squash bugs? ( I think they already found you plant).
                    Million dollar question, vine borers seem to follow me.

Comment

Squash bugs and vine borers are two different things. Vine borers are the devil! Sevin dust will take care of squash bugs in a jiffy..

Comment

Woo wee been 3 days since I had a chance to look at the garden and man what can happen in 72 hours blew my mind.

Tuesday my neighbor gave me free mulch from a pine tree they had just removed. I gladly accepted, since the price was right and I needed to build on top of the taters. Well **** if my taters are looking pretty poor! Not sure what happened...anyone know if they are salvageable? Lost about 5, which means I have 5 left.

I made my way to the above ground bed and I got within 10 feet when I caught a whiff of the number 1 smell God gave us - Cilantro. It was POWERFUL! It has come in quite well and I knew exactly what to do...clipped off a few stems from the most mature and made salsa with the peppers I had pinched off as instructed by Charlie. No maters, so used a can of Rotel. It will have to do. About to make some scrambled eggs for dinner and throw that on there.

Been harvesting swiss chard as they get big enough. One of the two plants is doing outstanding, the other is not reproducing. Been hesitant to harvest since it isn't replacing. It isn't on its way out yet, but I am skeptical about it. May only have 1 plant in a few weeks. I have been pinching off a few leaves of sweet basil and cutting it into my store bought lettuce and spinach for salads. Every chance I get I refer to myself as a farmer to my wife to play it up haha.

Life is good!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Once your mater plants got flowers, how long until you start seeing maters?

Comment

I start my vegetable seeds in a hydrophobic in December. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, watermelon, pumpkin, spinach, peppers then plant in March in my greenhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Depends how bad they are. I hate using pesticides due to hurting bees.. liquid 7 at night or other types of pesticides like that. Neem oil works ok to an extent.

I’ve already had more bugs this year than I care to talk about. I feel it’s gunna be hard to manage them this season

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                                Once your mater plants got flowers, how long until you start seeing maters?

Depends on the variety. I’d say 4-6 weeks probably depending on variety and weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X