No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you grown Cherokee purple in the past? My plants grew but I got few tomatoes and they really grew crummy.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      I see you're ready to arrow any deer coming into the garden LOL
      Lol a walk to that Krivo is like going to the grocery store -- meat and veggies all in one trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        Have you grown Cherokee purple in the past? My plants grew but I got few tomatoes and they really grew crummy.
        Cherokee purples are the best producing beefsteak style that we have tried.

Comment

Tim, believe it or not that is a Sparrow stand‼️
          My grandsons sit in it and shoot sparrows off the chicken pen fence‼️��

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            Curious. This online seed stores, are they cheaper or just easier to buy from versus the seed stands in box stores?

Actually, because of the varieties you wouldn’t find in the box store seed stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How shallow can corn handle? I have a new garden area I wanted to plant some corn in that has about 8" of premium garden soil then it hit solid rock hard clay. When I planted corn last year in my regular garden I noticed its roots were really shallow and wide as oppose to deep. Is 8" enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                How shallow can corn handle? I have a new garden area I wanted to plant some corn in that has about 8" of premium garden soil then it hit solid rock hard clay. When I planted corn last year in my regular garden I noticed its roots were really shallow and wide as oppose to deep. Is 8" enough?
                It will grow, but you'll have to water more frequently most likely.

Comment

Planted most of ours a week ago in a 30 mile per hour wind. Surprisingly a lot is coming up!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	24681300

Name:	IMG_2788.jpg
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	24681301

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	24681302

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	24681303

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Size:	548.4 KB
ID:	24681304

Comment

Originally posted by deano70 View Post
                    almost had a disaster on my hands as i put mine in the ground last weekend (couldn't wait and longer ha!) with that rain storm we had Tuesday morning, I would've lost all my young tender plants but I scrounged up enough buckets and other covers to protect them. Looks like it worked!
                    I'll tell you, this was my first year for starting things from seeds in a grow box. they came up quick and flourished but then started to fail but when I put them in the ground, the impact was almost visible so I'm sure I did something wrong while they were in the grow box.

Thanks for the good advice on this thread. I'll be buying some blackberries to start next year unless someone wants to offer up some of their cuttings :-).
                    Did you harden off your seedlings? If not, they can sun scald.
                    Last edited by Geezy Rider; 03-28-2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Got my first potato plant up. I was starting to loose hope.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Well it was a great planting day at our place!! It felt good to get out and actually put some plants in dirt!! Though they really aren't "in the ground"... I mixed our soil in a little utility trailer that is 4x8 with all metal sides... Made a good mixing bed. My wife has a little electric tiller for her beds and it worked like magic mixing up all the ingredients to create the potting soil... We used 2 parts compost, 2 parts peat moss and 1 part perlite. We planted a bunch of potatoes, some in dedicated potato grow bags, lots of several different kinds of peppers, a few tomatoes, broccoli, Swiss chard, Bok Choi, zucchini, and various greens... Even planted Zinnias and Marigolds as attractants for pollinators... Sure hope this works! If it does, I'll be a bag gardner from here on out as it is MUCH easier than a garden in the dirt!!

[ATTACH]1084893[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084894[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084896[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084897[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084898[/ATTACH]
                        Charlie, I’m really digging those potato bags. I’m going to do that next year.

Comment

Bumping this. I have 65 bags of soil/compost coming on Friday. Will transplant our summer garden the following Monday

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                            Did you harden off your seedlings? If not, they can sun scald.
                            True story

Comment

Well gang the taters are popping out and gettin' after it! My bride is up to 132 bags now and told me she was out of potting soil... make some more! So this afternoon, it's off to the big box store for more peat moss and perlite... got plenty of compost... We planted more than we thought we'd need because we figured some of the seedlings wouldn't make it... So far, we've only lost one plant, a vining grape tomato... Okrey ain't up yet, but that's OK. It takes that stuff a while to germinate. Next year, I'll start those seeds in the trays to get a jump on them. I ordered me a couple varieties of cayenne peppers... Want to roast/dry some for cookin'... Got more pepper plants in the ground than we've ever had before!

Those bags on the outside of the fence are cukes.. figger'd the fence could be my trellis... The rolled down bags are taters... Soon as the new plants get up about 4-6", I'll cover 'em (equivalent of hilling them) with more soil and unroll the bags a bit... Will repeat this process until the bag is full of soil and the taters are topping out above the bag and starting to flower. Can't wait to try that trap door in the tater bags to scratch some new potatoes for a meal or two!!

Name:	IMG_2224.JPG
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	24681454

Name:	IMG_2225.JPG
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	24681455

Name:	IMG_2226.JPG
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	24681456

Comment

are the grow bags made out of some type of fabric? Did you get them at a nursery?

Comment

Working...
                                X