Guadalupe River Trout Fishing Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guadalupe River Trout Fishing Help

Planning a family camping trip to the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake for spring break. I have never fished this river and have no fly fishing experience. Any insight on where and how to fish with a spinning reel for trout on this river?

If you can afford it, get a guided boat. It’s a tricky river

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
      If you can afford it, get a guided boat. It’s a tricky river
      Gonna have a couple kiddos under 10 so really just looking to get a line wet and maybe have some luck, but may look into a guide as well
      Last edited by ateague11; 01-18-2022, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I’m a guide on the guad specifically for trout. I can answer any questions you have if you message me. Being in the top 100 trout streams in the nation is an understatement.

Comment

We did the Guadalupe trout unlimited camp there a few years ago. Kids tied flys, fly casted etc. Its a great program. I suggest looking into it to see if there are any spots left. Your kids will have to fill out an application and write an essay. Its not much but I honestly dont remember seeing many kids under 10. It may even happen before spring break.

Alot of the river is privately owned and there is not a lot of walk in areas. GRTU has some lease stuff where you can walk in but that requires a membership.

That said my son got to fly fish on the last day with guides that volunteer their days. We met a great dude and remain in contact with him. One day my wife and ill head to montana to fish with Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
            I’m a guide on the guad specifically for trout. I can answer any questions you have if you message me. Being in the top 100 trout streams in the nation is an understatement.
            Do you have a website? I've always wanted to do a guided trip on the guad.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
              Do you have a website? I've always wanted to do a guided trip on the guad.
              No I do not. The only advertising I do is ads on Craigslist and word of mouth. Just that keeps me fairly busy, especially since I do have another job as it’s too hot to fish all year.

Comment

I’ll be there in the morning again fishing. If you are planning on going early spring you should be good and there are a couple bridge crossings with paid access that have always been productive if you get there early. I normally kayak and wade all day and don’t mind sharing some productive spots that are kid friendly if you want to PM me.

Micheal

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                    I’ll be there in the morning again fishing. If you are planning on going early spring you should be good and there are a couple bridge crossings with paid access that have always been productive if you get there early. I normally kayak and wade all day and don’t mind sharing some productive spots that are kid friendly if you want to PM me.

Micheal
                    PM sent

Comment

I have fished it a bunch in the past but only with fly rods. There are a number of places that will let you access the river to fish for a few bucks. Most of the campgrounds will.

I talked to a guy one time who fished the Guadalupe a bunch with light spinning tackle and he liked Panther Martin spinners in black and yellow. For whatever that is worth. I don't know what size but I would assume you'd need to match the weight to the flow to some degree.

Comment

We will likely be staying at Summit Vacation and RV Resort

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                          Planning a family camping trip to the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake for spring break. I have never fished this river and have no fly fishing experience. Any insight on where and how to fish with a spinning reel for trout on this river?
                          You can cheat and get a water bobber and chuck flies. Do the nymph setup and use a hares ear and an egg pattern. Not sure if they still do this but there were two places TWPD leases out for access in the winter. One of the places was Rio resort.

Comment

I know we were floating the horseshoe year before last and found a huge dead trout. First I knew that they were in there. It was probably about 4 natural light cans long

Comment

Little spoons work pretty well on trout with spinning tackle

Comment

Working...
                              X