O.H. Ivie giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbull9 View Post
    Most think you can stick a livescope on your boat and go catch them. That’s not the case at all.
    This is absolutely true. I’ve got livescope and I’m not even close to proficient with it. Sure you’ve got an advantage with finding the fish, but there are nowhere near as many experts out there as you might think. Us weekend warriors will still struggle even with the new technology.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
      Is it any more stressful for those fish to be caught using a livescope than it would be catching that fish off of a bed in a couple months? I'd say highly unlikely.

Am I wrong or aren't those fish in there for us to catch?
      I think it stresses them everytime time you catch them no matter the season. I will say where livescope comes into play the most is when those fish are suspended in open water, usually deep, during winter in cold water. Hauling them in from deep water stresses them more than when they are shallow. Not that catching them shallow while spawning doesn't stress them too. The point is the more we catch these fish the more likely they are to die.
      And if you read my previous post, I said I'm not against it. But it will lead to a reduction in numbers.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Most think you can stick a livescope on your boat and go catch them. That’s not the case at all.
        That's not the case at all, but people that know how to use it, can flat slaughter fish. I have seen it first hand and its doing a number on the crappie

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
          That's not the case at all, but people that know how to use it, can flat slaughter fish. I have seen it first hand and its doing a number on the crappie
          I agree with you on the crappie. It makes crappie fishing very easy.

Comment

Same thing happening with deer and to combat it, people are putting up high fences so they can let deer reach maturity before they shoot them. Thus, usually bigger antlers. But in a big lake what can you do? I think its going to end up similar to public hunting. More strict regs, seasons, times, dates, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
              I think it stresses them everytime time you catch them no matter the season. I will say where livescope comes into play the most is when those fish are suspended in open water, usually deep, during winter in cold water. Hauling them in from deep water stresses them more than when they are shallow. Not that catching them shallow while spawning doesn't stress them too. The point is the more we catch these fish the more likely they are to die.
              And if you read my previous post, I said I'm not against it. But it will lead to a reduction in numbers.

Everybody said the same thing about the A rig when it was winning every fall and winter tournament. The lakes will be fine. The a rig didn’t kill them off and the livescope won’t either.

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
                Same thing happening with deer and to combat it, people are putting up high fences so they can let deer reach maturity before they shoot them. Thus, usually bigger antlers. But in a big lake what can you do? I think its going to end up similar to public hunting. More strict regs, seasons, times, dates, etc.
                They’ll do studies and if the science agrees we will see fishing seasons for certain species like they have up north, and you could see fishing during the spawn closed. Our lakes have been hammered like never before during Covid and your seeing the results of that.

Comment

Out of all the bass that were caught over13lbs out of Ivie last year that were donated to the SOL program only two of them were not returned to Ivie after they spawned out at Athens ! One died the other was donated to Bass pro shops .

Comment

I do agree a lot of people took up fishing during covid. But if they are getting hammered, why are these lakes still producing fish this size.

I believe that the number and quality of fishing will stay strong as long as we have rains. Seems like a lot of anglers, but not in the big picture of the number of these quality fish from theee lakes.

Fork has been known for big fish for years. And even with all the technology, it's still producing big bass

Not like deer hunting in east Texas when every 8 point buck gets shot. Fish produce thousands of eggs so they hatchery will stay strong as long as the lakes stay up. Animals that produce one or two offspring could deplete trophy's if they do not have years to develop

Comment

No, but being able to find/see them will most definitely change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everybody said the same thing about the A rig when it was winning every fall and winter tournament. The lakes will be fine. The a rig didn’t kill them off and the livescope won’t either.
                        I dont remember A rigs scoring sharelunkers at a high rate prior to livescope. Not anywhere close. And now they're using both in combination to boat these fish.
                        Like I said, I don't have a problem with it but it has definitely increased the rate these big fish are being put in the boat. And there's a limited number of those fish. Overall, they are rare.
                        It is what it is tho. I'm not attached to there being big bass anymore. They're fun to catch if I get one but I don't have anything invested in it like I used to. In fact, if the numbers of DD fish dwindle maybe these "rodeo" days on lakes will dwindle too. I'd like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                          Out of all the bass that were caught over13lbs out of Ivie last year that were donated to the SOL program only two of them were not returned to Ivie after they spawned out at Athens ! One died the other was donated to Bass pro shops .
                          That's a drop in the bucket compared to all the 8,9,10,11,12 lb fish that were caught and released that weren't reported. Those weren't taken to a facility where experts at handling and reving these fish may have kept them alive. I'm not saying they all die or even the majority do. But some will because let's face, some guys don't take care of them and only care about a selfie.
                          Look at the number of people who are on Ivie daily now hammering away at these fish. It will only catch on and get more and more common as folks learn this technique and technology and expand to other lakes as well. Look how many people are adept at using common sonar these days as apposed to 20 years ago. Livescope has changed the game and even better tech is on the way.
                          Once the same DD fish gets caught 3 or 4 times in a season, it's survival rate will drop severely. If the current trend continues and tech gets even better these fish will become easier targets and most won't survive it. IMO

Comment

I dont know about most. Some maybe. I won't invest that kinda money in a unit because I'm not spending the time it takes to learn to use it and don't think the investment is worth the reward. There's a lot, and I mean a lot of folks that certainly will. Some won't have what it takes. There's plenty that will.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                              I dont remember A rigs scoring sharelunkers at a high rate prior to livescope. Not anywhere close. And now they're using both in combination to boat these fish.
                              Like I said, I don't have a problem with it but it has definitely increased the rate these big fish are being put in the boat. And there's a limited number of those fish. Overall, they are rare.
                              It is what it is tho. I'm not attached to there being big bass anymore. They're fun to catch if I get one but I don't have anything invested in it like I used to. In fact, if the numbers of DD fish dwindle maybe these "rodeo" days on lakes will dwindle too. I'd like that!

Records were getting broken around the country when the a rig first came out. There were 40lb plus bags coming from lakes not known to produce them. If it had the impact y’all are saying this would be happening in every lake in the state and it’s not. Some lakes setup specifically well for this type of fishing and Ivey is at the top of that list.

Where are the scoped up giants from Fork, Rayburn, Austin, AH, etc? Those lakes have giants but they aren’t doing what Ivey is.

Comment

Records were getting broken around the country when the a rig first came out. There were 40lb plus bags coming from lakes not known to produce them. If it had the impact y’all are saying this would be happening in every lake in the state and it’s not. Some lakes setup specifically well for this type of fishing and Ivey is at the top of that list.

Where are the scoped up giants from Fork, Rayburn, Austin, AH, etc? Those lakes have giants but they aren’t doing what Ivey is.
                                Not yet

Comment

Working...
                                X