Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Castaway Rods???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using Castaways since the 90s when they were made down the road from me in Montgomery. Their top builder "Scott Luft" from the Montgomery store moved with them when they opened off 290. He stayed with them a few years and then left Castaway. He is now with T3 Rods off 105. T3 is my rod of choice now.

Comment

I’ll say this.

I’ve had $50 rods and have several $200 rods and just my first custom Waterloo in yesterday. The fit and feel and sensitivity of a high end rod is a game changer.

Customer service is a big deal and Hunter at fishstix and Waterloo has both treated me excellent when I broke or messed up a rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
        Exactly. If your mad because you broke $100 rod wait till you break a $350 custom job. I have a grandson that breaks something every time I take him.
        I’m not mad because I broke it. I’m mad because it broke for no apparent reason.

Comment

I'm not a Castaway guy so take this for what it is. I'm not defending them or any other rod manufacturer. I have broken a great many rods of many different brands.

Rods don't usually just break. It just doesn't happen. If you take it out the first trip and on the first hookset on the first fish you break it then obviously there was something wrong with it that was caused before you got it. But if you've been fishing a rod awhile and suddenly the blank just breaks guess what? Something caused that to happen. You can't really fault the rod builder if you whacked the console on a hookset, whacked the rod blank with a jig head or whatever. The lighter and more sensitive the rod the more likely it is to break if abused, even if it happens accidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
            That’s pretty much what Castaway said when I talked to them.
            I can’t have a little girl rod like that in my boat!
            It is the same thing some high end makers say too. I broke an American Rodsmiths rod during a tourney where I got the rod and they upgraded it on the spot. That is the only time I got one replaced.

Comment

I have lots of castaways with no issues. Both old and new, all were picked up at the Castaway store in Houston. I did break a skeleton that I bought from Academy and took in to the castaway store and the replaced free of charge. I have also trie the falcon rods and broke 2. My arsenal now consists of castaway skeletons, G Loomis, and Dobyns.

One thing to watch when buying from Academy is they get shipments from their warehouse and all of the rods are banded together about 8" from tip and again by 1st guide from the reel seat. (Exact locations I experienced failures on the castaway and Falcon.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                I'm not a Castaway guy so take this for what it is. I'm not defending them or any other rod manufacturer. I have broken a great many rods of many different brands.

Rods don't usually just break. It just doesn't happen. If you take it out the first trip and on the first hookset on the first fish you break it then obviously there was something wrong with it that was caused before you got it. But if you've been fishing a rod awhile and suddenly the blank just breaks guess what? Something caused that to happen. You can't really fault the rod builder if you whacked the console on a hookset, whacked the rod blank with a jig head or whatever. The lighter and more sensitive the rod the more likely it is to break if abused, even if it happens accidentally.
                Well put

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
                  I’m not mad because I broke it. I’m mad because it broke for no apparent reason.
                  Sorry, not directed at you. My grandson stepped on the only custom rod I've ever owned. It was from experience lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X