Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video is private.

Comment

Fixed the video but doesn’t matter. I’m so over it. Put it back in the slip so I can make some tweaks on the trailer then I’m gonna find a mechanic to take it to. Pumping water but extremely hard to start and popping. Test run was terrible with surging and now power. Tired of wasting time and money guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally thought on the tach. I have continuity on the gray wire from where it plugs in at the regulator(s) all the way to the tach. 12+ bolts when the key is on. With two brand new OEM regulators I must conclude I actually have a bad tachometer.

Comment

Got to finally run a compression check today and bad news. 80-120-120-100-120-120

I guess I can quite guessing now. Fortunately I finally have a trailer and got it all set to go today. Have travel this week but I will be finding a mechanic to hopefully drop it off on Friday. No interest in going further DIY.

Comment

At least you know

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
              Got to finally run a compression check today and bad news. 80-120-120-100-120-120

I guess I can quite guessing now. Fortunately I finally have a trailer and got it all set to go today. Have travel this week but I will be finding a mechanic to hopefully drop it off on Friday. No interest in going further DIY.

I hate that for you. I'd start shopping for a used outboard, you can probably buy a used one cheaper than having that one fixed. Maybe you can find a used 4 stroke.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                Some fuel lines have a liner in them that can collapse over time from ethanol. I was nearly left stranded once because of this. Motor would just get enough fuel to run about 1/4 throttle, then quit if you tried to throttle it up. Let it sit a few minutes and it would start right back up and run. As long as the speed was kept low.
                This right here. Had the same issues on my 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX. Fuel liner had collapsed upstream and downstream of primer bulb. Only way to tell is to disconnect. I would replace your fuel lines if you have not been running ethanol free fuel. Ethanol free fuel is the only fuel that gets put into boat now. Been doing this for probably 3 years now and zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                  I hate that for you. I'd start shopping for a used outboard, you can probably buy a used one cheaper than having that one fixed. Maybe you can find a used 4 stroke.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Hmm hoping it’s not that terrible. Will take a look with an endoscope on Friday when I’m back. Need to find the right shop for sure.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                      Hmm hoping it’s not that terrible. Will take a look with an endoscope on Friday when I’m back. Need to find the right shop for sure.

Just pull that head off. If it was mine I'd do a seafoam treatment on all cylinders and take another compression test. Cost very little to do and if you have Carboned up rings you might resurrect that motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Just pull that head off. If it was mine I'd do a seafoam treatment on all cylinders and take another compression test. Cost very little to do and if you have Carboned up rings you might resurrect that motor.
                        Yeah, it did that and no luck. I had found a full rebuild kit for $1250 but after watching a really detailed youtube on a rebuild of my exact motor I decided that was beyond my skill set and I certainly don't have the shop room for it.

Mechanic called on Saturday to confirm significant scarring on 2 cylinders plus some on a 3rd. I think I'm getting all new pistons and everything. Should be like a new motor when done. Fingers crossed. Hoping to have it back in another week or so.

Comment

There were a few years where Yamaha and Mercury were building for each other. I am almost certain that you are within those years. I am with mine.

If you were around Kemah I would say go see Fernado at FCJ Marine. If not call them. They are the best and only Mercury shop I go to. It took them a few times to figure out mine. It always ran hotter than it should. Finally a flush from the bottom up with the lower unit on a table and I now have the best engine I have ever had.

Give them a call. They are always open to helping over the phone.

But you might be able to get yamaha parts that are the same a ton cheaper than mercury parts.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                            Some fuel lines have a liner in them that can collapse over time from ethanol. I was nearly left stranded once because of this. Motor would just get enough fuel to run about 1/4 throttle, then quit if you tried to throttle it up. Let it sit a few minutes and it would start right back up and run. As long as the speed was kept low.

This [emoji115]plus filters and check the fuel build for a small pin hole. Also your mixture could be off with it smoking like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No way I would run that newly rebuilt motor without a brand new fuel line and primer bulb. You sure as heck don't want to starve the engine lean during break-in and gall a new piston or two.

Comment

Fyi... When dealing with 2 strokes, if they run lean on fuel it is also running lean on lubricating oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X