No announcement yet.

Cattle Guy Overgrazing Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not have shut the water off since it will force the cattle to water at your pond and cause damage there. All depends on your priorities but I like walking down to the pond and fishing without twisting an ankle every other step.

Comment

Something about a Train Station comes to mind. you better pray those aren’t Rips heifers

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
        Something about a Train Station comes to mind. you better pray those aren’t Rips heifers

I’m with ya. I’ve been in and around the cattle business my whole life and I just smh at this thread. Feel sorry for the old man with the cattle trying to make ends meet. I’ll just leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I read this thread and I’m so thankful that my situation is a hundred and eighty degrees from this unfortunate situation. I have leased to the same cattleman for the last 15 years with only a handshake contract. He has never overgrazed the place, he will pull the cows off in a heartbeat if I tell him he needs to because of dropping water levels. Once I told him that I thought that he needed to bring some cows back before the appraisal district comes looking for some bull s***. I don’t overcharge him and he does not take advantage of me. It’s a win/win situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
            Yep! Turning the water off and even considering pumping the pond/tank dry speaks volumes about a person.

Comment

I cant see that few cattle overgrazing 100 acres unless they are in small paddocks or like others said, you have more trees and brush than grass. Post a picture up.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                So which is it?

Well that was dumb, especially considering how much control you obviously want to have over the number of head allowed.

You sound like a terrible person to lease from.

You screwed up by having a weak contract and now you're paying the price for it. Being malicious is not going to help your cause, do you have any protections built into the contract for terminating the lease? Shocked so many people on here think you're in the right to run him off without knowing the specifics of the lease.
                HMMMM! Says enough about the OP

I don't expect many replies moving forward. All talk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  It wasnt a standard attorney drafted TREC approved lease agreement. And again, he agreed he was overgrazing the property. We worked out an agreement we can both move forward on, the county is TX. Appreciate most of the responses.
                  So if it wasn’t a standard attorney drafted TREC form, who drafted the Lease Agreement? Whoever it was, they screwed up.

You and he reached an agreement. Excellent! Does that mean he is removing some cows?
                  Last edited by Burnadell; 01-14-2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    So if it wasn’t a standard attorney drafted TREC form, who drafted the Lease Agreement? Whoever it was, they screwed up.

You and he reached an agreement. Excellent! Does that mean he is removing some cows?
                    "Years" of requesting the lessee remove cattle and all it took was a thread on TBH to come to an agreement

Comment

In the lease agreement it states he is responsible for providing the cattle water, food and fencing. I have a well on the property and a 1 acre tank that currently is full of water.
                      I messed up by not writing in the amount of head into the original lease, but I made it very clear that I control the water. I have been very upfront with him that this isnt a card I want to play in writing and in conversation. Again, he agrees that he is overgrazing the land, this isnt only my opinion.
                      From the OP.

I admit I should have limited the amount of head in the original lease several times and I have learned from that mistake (I hope others will too). I listed the levers that I had on the first post, one of which is water and I understand it is fairly important when running any kind of livestock, turns out he agreed.

Comment

I’m glad you were able to convince him to remove some of his cattle. Problem solved.

It is hard to imagine that it is economically worth it to lease 100 acres in East Texas for only 5 head of cattle. It sounds like it is mostly timber land/woods.

Comment

If you remove the water and those cows die you are looking at a lot of jail time. Cruelty to animal causing death X how many head.

Comment

Working...
                          X