$ price per sq ft on custom homes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
    There are no custom builders in the price range cited for what most consider "custom". If custom only means the builder is willing to build off of your plans, well perhaps this price point is realistic. Custom houses in my world have level 4 or 5 sheetrock finish, custom cabinets and finish throughout. Orange peel or knock down trowel work is not custom other than stating it is custom because that it what plans called for.

Right. There’s a big difference between a build on your lot builder providing production level finishes and what others think of when they hear “custom”. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the boyl guy isn’t custom too, just too broad of a term I guess. But if I can’t hit those numbers as a production builder I don’t know how any variation of a “custom” builder can. (Except we have to include lot costs which continue to rise)

Comment

Certainly there is a bigger swing than $50 a foot if you are including a variable such a lot price? I believe the inquiry is simply about building costs per foot'. Nowhere in the Austin are will you find anything that could be even mistaken for a custom build for 200-250. Is this in Tom Green, Co?
      There could definitely be a larger range than $50/sqft but that is a good avg figure range. Yes Tom Green definitely not Austin. Lots are probably in the neighborhood of a few thousand to around $15,000.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
        We're in talks with Tony Miller Construction in N. Texas and they're telling us an avg. of 140'ish for everything under roof.
        I just looked them up myself which they emailed a packet stating:

Our under-roof prices for a traditional home with a garage are approximately $140-150 per square foot under roof for a house with a slab foundation and shingled roof.

For example: 3000 sf ft living +1000 sq ft garage = 500 sq ft porches = 4500 sq ft
        4500 sq ft times $150 = $675,000

Make sure and compare their cost method vs others that use cost per heated sf.

Comment

There are no custom builders in the price range cited for what most consider "custom". If custom only means the builder is willing to build off of your plans, well perhaps this price point is realistic. Custom houses in my world have level 4 or 5 sheetrock finish, custom cabinets and finish throughout. Orange peel or knock down trowel work is not custom other than stating it is custom because that it what plans called for.
          This^^^

Most builders that sell "custom homes" are really selling semi-custom.

A true custom home means that the home is a one of kind personalized plan with every last little detail/selection coordinated and approved with the owner.

If the builder has a package of finishes to select from, or you started with a plan from their book, that's not a true custom home. That's not a knock on the end product, its just explaining the difference between the two.

Building a true custom home requires a lot of time and effort from the homeowner as well as the builder due to so much information needing to be agreed upon by both parties.

Take cabinets for instance. These questions have to be answered for each location that cabinetry occurs because you don't have to have the same style cabinets in each location when building custom. Do you want inset style cabinets? Full overlay? If full overlay, what reveal do you want, 1/2", 1/4", 1/8"? What cabinet door style for each location? Paint Grade or Stain Grade? If stain grade, what wood species? Which direction do you prefer the grain to run? Do you want the interiors finished to match the exteriors or do you want a clear UV coating. Concealed hinges or Decorative exposed hinges? Soft Close Doors? Soft close drawers? Do you need built in knife blocks, or spice racks? Do you need any drawers with charging ports for electronics or outlets for your wife hair dryer and straightener/curling iron? Do you need a trash pull out? Cabinet door panels for panel ready appliances? Tray or pan dividers?

Heck, the initial cabinet meeting itself it usually a few hour process and that's just one line item on your budget.

Comment

We are currently building on our land, so I'm not factoring in lot costs or utilities because we paid for those before we started.

We will be right at $180/ft for 3900ish sq ft.

We used a designer and did the plans with our builder so I guess it's custom right?

We aren't super high end people but it'll be nice.

Poured our slab on 12/8 started framing 12/10 and we are about ready to felt the roof by this weekend. Those framers drink more beer and work harder than any crew I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
              This^^^

Most builders that sell "custom homes" are really selling semi-custom.

A true custom home means that the home is a one of kind personalized plan with every last little detail/selection coordinated and approved with the owner.

If the builder has a package of finishes to select from, or you started with a plan from their book, that's not a true custom home. That's not a knock on the end product, its just explaining the difference between the two.

Building a true custom home requires a lot of time and effort from the homeowner as well as the builder due to so much information needing to be agreed upon by both parties.

Take cabinets for instance. These questions have to be answered for each location that cabinetry occurs because you don't have to have the same style cabinets in each location when building custom. Do you want inset style cabinets? Full overlay? If full overlay, what reveal do you want, 1/2", 1/4", 1/8"? What cabinet door style for each location? Paint Grade or Stain Grade? If stain grade, what wood species? Which direction do you prefer the grain to run? Do you want the interiors finished to match the exteriors or do you want a clear UV coating. Concealed hinges or Decorative exposed hinges? Soft Close Doors? Soft close drawers? Do you need built in knife blocks, or spice racks? Do you need any drawers with charging ports for electronics or outlets for your wife hair dryer and straightener/curling iron? Do you need a trash pull out? Cabinet door panels for panel ready appliances? Tray or pan dividers?

Heck, the initial cabinet meeting itself it usually a few hour process and that's just one line item on your budget.

You're spot on. I bet we spend 5 hours a week talking to our builder about details and finishes. He doesn't have a package to choose from.

Comment

My wife and I made a rough drawing of the layout we want. I sent it over to our Architect, and he is going to come up with something as close as possible to what I gave him to the 2000sqft mark in the next two weeks. Getting my shell price. Doing my own electric. Then I will know what I can spend on the cabinets, trim, fixtures and flooring. We have owned the land for 10+ years and for what we bought the land for, we have lots of wiggle room to build a nice home.

Comment

Price is one thing and quality is another for that high price. On the inspection side of new home construction, I’ve never witnessed worse quality or crapsmanship than in the past year through today, at least in DFW.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a tract home or ‘custom builder’ in Fairview, Dallas, or out in ‘the county’. It’s almost all bad for the buyer. It’s shocking what home buyers are getting for $600k-2m+, but it’s good for my business so I can’t complain.

Demand up, price up, quality down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll have to get back with you guys in a few months. I’m starting 3 more on 2acre lots in Leonard next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This is for 2k sq ft and 780sq ft garage. I do have almost 1400 of outdoor living though.

Comment

Originally posted by orchard View Post

This is for 2k sq ft and 780sq ft garage. I do have almost 1400 of outdoor living though.

To me, a bunch of those numbers look low. The main ones that pop out to me are, electric fixtures, cabinets and framing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

On flooring that gives you $8.25 a sq foot for materials and labor. You won’t get much of a ceramic at that and definitely not porcelain. Labor & mortar will be $4+ in my area

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                            Price is one thing and quality is another for that high price. On the inspection side of new home construction, I’ve never witnessed worse quality or crapsmanship than in the past year through today, at least in DFW.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a tract home or ‘custom builder’ in Fairview, Dallas, or out in ‘the county’. It’s almost all bad for the buyer. It’s shocking what home buyers are getting for $600k-2m+, but it’s good for my business so I can’t complain.

Demand up, price up, quality down.

There are developments going up like Baha’i grass around me now! I have not seen a single shower that would pass an inspection or comply with ansi standards. Most look like my 5yo got hammered drunk and did the work…. And they somehow get by with this and get paid. The stuff I’ve seen in past year makes my head want to explode I. $400k+ homes

Comment

People are crazy for paying this! Just like new vehicles when they don't have to

These decisions will set back ALOT of people

Comment

Got my initial set of drawings, and kicked back my changes to the architect. We have increased our budget by 50k to 300K. Trying to get as close as possible to a 2000sqft 3bd/2bth house. We own the land for a while. So that is giving us a leg up with extra spending room. This is a custom home. We are planning and designing everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X