Mathew 22: 1-14 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
    The Jews killed Jesus then the gentiles were called but not everyone called puts their faith in Jesus so they are cast out.

Nobody killed Jesus. He gave his life. EVERY human is guilty of sin and the death of Christ and can only be declared righteous by the blood that Jesus shed/gave. His blood is our gift, to receive completely or reject completely.
    There is no middle ground or halfway.

Comment

How many times have we been advised by Biblical Scholars and students of Scripture, "Use Scripture to interpret Scripture... I love doing this! In my personal studies, I find it gives me a much deeper understanding and I think it helps to "prove to myself" that the conclusions I derive from study and research are right... Yet in so many cases, my "right" is just my opinion... I have self confidence in the conclusions and it grows my faith and strengthens my relationship with Christ...

This passage is a good one to do that sort of thing with. Take a look at these two passages from Ephesians and the Revelation of John...

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,
      Eph 5:26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
      Eph 5:27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.

Rev 19:7 "Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready."
      Rev 19:8 It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.
      Rev 19:9 Then he *said to me, "Write, 'Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.'" And he *said to me, "These are true words of God."

In Ephesians, Paul gives us the very definition of Marriage.
      In Revelation, John writes the very words of God describing the "Marriage" of the Savior to His Church (all believers)...

Everyone who believes is clothed in the proper dress (Righteousness of the Saints) and we are all invited to be washed in the Blood of Christ and clothed in righteousness is the result. The man in the parable that was not dressed properly may or may not have been invited, but no matter he and not accepted/received the invitation and prepared for it. Therefore he cannot be counted in the number at the wedding feast of the Bride.

Comment

Galatians 3:26-28 comes to mind. As Pineywoods said, the folks who refused the invitation and mistreated the servants were the Jews, so then God invited everyone else (Gentiles). The guy that didn't wear wedding clothes hadn't given his life to Jesus. Galatians 3 says:

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

The wedding feast is for anyone who accepts the invitation and puts on the wedding clothes.

Comment

...another good one Shane!

and thank you Dusty for posting this up... These are always great discussions...

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            The first guests who rejected the invitation are a picture of the Jewish people who had rejected their Messiah though many "invitations" were sent through prophets, messengers, and Christ Himself. The invitation was then extended to the gentiles also, hence the invitation went to those who were "good and bad". Yes, the proper clothing would be righteousness as we must be "clothed with righteousness", the righteousness of Jesus, to be truly saved. This man was not truly saved as we see from the outcome. Below is a pretty good article that digs into the text quite a bit more for those that are interested....

https://bible.org/seriespage/32-para...matthew-221-14
            Spot on. Another link from an old time preacher that I rely on for explanations.

Comment

Working...
            X