Antler Restriction Counties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
    Yes, you could opt to shoot (2) 1.5 yr old spikes or a 3 point instead of a more mature buck. I wish they would change the law to allow you to kill (2) 13in bucks or greater in the same county. Helps those that have access to several properties located in the same county. Plus 2 bucks is 2 bucks and not everyone will kill a buck much less 2 bucks but the state likes to put a blanket management program in place without taking into consideration other factors
    One could kill 2 bucks no matter their age as long as both have an unbranched antler.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      What if the spike is older than 1.5 yr old?
      Very rare that there is a 2.5, 3.5 or older spike in nature. It is not very common for that to happen but if it does, then it is a blessing and now you can kill a spike with 20lbs more meat

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
        One could kill 2 bucks no matter their age as long as both have an unbranched antler.

this is true...but are you saying that there are a bunch of spikes running around that are 3.5? Or are you hinting at the fact a buck could break an antler causing it to be "unbranched"

Either way, a person can kill 2 bucks unbranched but you cant kill 2 bucks with branched antlers greater than 13". I don't like that rule just like some people don't like to hear about killing 1.5 yr old spikes and get triggered. What is the percentage of spikes killed that are 1.5yr old? Probably 90%... Guess what, it is legal, all I wish is that we could legally kill 2 bucks greater than 13in. or legally kill 2 bucks greater than 13in if on another property in the county that is not adjoined to each other

Comment

Question was if it is legal to kill 2 spikes and I answered the question..

The rest of your post was clearly your thread hijacking.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            Question was if it is legal to kill 2 spikes and I answered the question..

The rest of your post was clearly your thread hijacking.
            This is true. I did answer that it was legal in my first sentence and then I voiced my own displeasure in the inability to not kill 2 bucks branched that are greater than 13".

It is a message board where we share opinions about hunting and concerns. I guess this thread should have only went one or 2 responses deep with one line. Course, if every thread was like that then it would be boring and not much dialague. However, aren't you high jacking the thread by quoting my post instead of just answering the question?

Comment

Very rare that there is a 2.5, 3.5 or older spike in nature. It is not very common for that to happen but if it does, then it is a blessing and now you can kill a spike with 20lbs more meat
              We have killed 2 longhorn spikes with 2 cusped molars this year alone. One was 2.5, the other was older and weighed 155 alive.

Comment

I don’t think I would classified as ‘rare in nature’.
                Last edited by Greenheadless; 01-09-2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Not as rare as most think.
                  If you hunt East Texas, then you know this is fact. Except they might not be a true spike like in my case. We ended up killing 2, 3 pointers and had another one show up on camera that were at least 3 years old or older and another buck that I let slip by that had a regular rack on one side and long cow horn on the other.

Comment

I agree with others here its not as rare as you think, I thought that too once but we've had true spikes aged 2.5 out of Freestone county

Comment

I personally saw a 6 pointer that one unbranched antler. He had a damaged testicle, grew a 3 inch spike on one side. The biologist aged him at 4.5 or 5.5.

Comment

Interesting, yeah I hunt East Texas/Post Oak Savannah area and I haven't seen a 2.5 year spike in the 30 years of hunting. So I appreciate the feedback from others that have had a different experience

As far as some of these examples of older deer with an unbranded antler...I would say that has to do with a damaged pedicle/damaged in velvet stage/possibly injury vs some bad genetics causing the deer to regress on one side.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

I purposely seek out and am usually successful in finding at least one each year.

Comment

Working...
                          X