No announcement yet.

process your own deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short answer: Chore boy copper scrubber is like a magnet for picking hair off of meat. Of course, if you can avoid the hair on the meat in the first place…. That comes with practice.
    Silver skin- it seems the worst on the front shoulders. The two solutions I’ve come up with are simply cooking shanks/Osso Buco, and cutting through the meat and taking it off from the back side much like filleting the skin off a fish filet.

Processing can be a great way to extend the experience of the successful hunt.
    Fresh tenderloin medallions on a Coleman stove with butter, onions, a few shakes of flour and fresh black pepper is a great way to start processing any deer.
    I truly hated butchering when I was a kid, up until my late teens when a friend’s dad introduced my dad and I to how to actually do it.

So here’s a few of my favorite home processing things I’ve learned;
    Preparation, organization and clean-up.
    Clean coolers, freezer/fridge space, bags, clean up plan, gambrel and ropes are ready along with a hoist or tractor bucket to hang from are all ready to go before the hunting starts.
    I love the prep and the build up almost as much as the hunt.
    I have a small tote with all my processing stuff. This has been huge in getting game taken care of in warm temps and extreme cold.
    Gutting/field knives are never used for processing and processing knives are like my wife’s sewing scissors- off limits for anything but processing game, to the point I won’t even cut a rope or plastic with them.
    Sharp, clean knives, buy them here and there and try things. Rapala filet knives, victonox fibrox handle knives and Mora-knives with the sheath are my go to. I like a belt or pocket sheath because I can’t set the knife down and lose it.
    A small roll of construction poly Home Depot to cover my table and floor below anything hanging. Legs, heads and whatnot end up on the poly and get rolled up nice and neat when done. Not so much as a hair on the floor when I’m done. Contractor bags in a can so there’s no blood or stink later.
    Folding plastic table or two. Here’s the clincher- cut some 1” pvc sleeves to put on the table legs to create a lift kit to put your table at a better height. I’m 6’ and 42-46” is ideal for me. This is big, it will save your back and shoulders from fatigue and soreness.
    Hair- I prefer to hang head down, I remove both front legs at the knee joint. Next, I cut the hide above the tarsal gland on the rear legs all the way around and down the inside of the thighs before I hang the deer or pig from the gambrel. I put a short rope on one side and around a hock so later when I cut the Achilles’ tendon the animal stays put. At this point I do a quick singe of the hair around the tarsal cut to prevent it from sloughing on to the meat. One other note- when I gut a deer now, after doing hundreds, I’ve learned to leave the skin intact as much as possible in the mammary area until actually butchering . This keeps an enormous amount of hair off later, as well as a clean cavity and tenderloins. I do not split pelvises either. It’s unnecessary, as you can cut around the rectum and easily cut around the colon from the outside, and pull that in through the pelvis and out with the guts. It may sound complicated, but with practice and confidence I can say that from start to finish, Buck or doe in a couple of minutes and never get any blood beyond your wrist is possible.
    Meat totes are another great thing to have while butchering, clean totes will work too. . We keep 2-3 on hand to sort trim, steaks and roasts. A bucket of hot soapy water is another must have for washing hands and knives during butchering, sharpening etc.
    A bone saw is handy, but a clean hack saw will work too.
    Just add a few small items each year and you’ll have a great butcher kit in no time.
    Sausage making and smoking are an area that it pays to get the good stuff. Watch for sales and used grinders and stuffers. As others have said, foot pedal stuffers, 3/4 hp and larger grinders. The little stuff and kitchen aid attachments just don’t get it done. Make a few pounds of snack sticks with a hand crank grinder and stuffer and you won’t be able to pull a bow back.
    Good luck, I hope to pick up some tips here too.

Comment

I get sausage made at the processor every other year but do everything else myself - steaks, ground (20% brisket), jerky, pan sausage, and the shanks for osso buco. Definitely takes time but I enjoy it.

I also simmer the bones in a crock pot overnight to make broth. Adds to the flavor of soup or gumbo.
      Last edited by rtjh; 01-04-2022, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruggedhunts45 View Post
        Lol, I was full of it and kidding to a degree. But, I don’t know just processing myself has raised some enthusiasm for the sport overall. Conservation is about the end result.. food and cutting it up yourself seems way better to having a processor do it for you, unless you have someone that will just focus on your deer and do it right.

I made an honest attempt to answer. 😜

Nice attempt

Comment

If you don’t carve out your own bow and knap your own flint arrow heads are you really a bow hunter?

Seriously though, whether you do or don’t process your kills has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are a “real” hunter or conservationists. It’s really to each his own. When I was working it was just easier to take my kills to a processor. Working 12 hour days, 7 days a week just didn’t leave much time for anything else. I had a good butcher that did good work that always did me right. Made really good sausage and tamales too.
          Now that I’m retired and on a fixed income I will go back to carving up my own critters. I’ll have the time to do it and save a little money also. With a bad back I may have to sit down while I do it but I’ll get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruggedhunts45 View Post
            Any tips and tricks to making processing your own deer easier, especially moving silver skin and hair much appreciated. Thanks!
            Maybe not much of a tip but I'll share with you a heavy preference of mine. If I can get a quarter on my stainless table without ever having to rinse it or have it touch a drop of water it makes for a much better experience. Working with a nice dry quarter is so much easier and cleaner. For hair I'll fillet the outer film off and don't normally have to bother picking much off after that.

This is what a hindquarter looks like when I'm done muscling it down, this is directly after deboning no clean up or anything straight from the leg to the tote. There shouldn't be any blood, water, or moisture really of any kind.
            Attached Files

Comment

How many deer a year do you shoot?

Comment

Never sent one to a processor in 50 years of deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                  Order you a couple of these, or a 7" and 9" and keep them sharp. They're cheap and hold an edge pretty good. About the best tip I've got. Fillet knives trump all others for deboning.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
                  X2, this works, just keep them sharp.

Comment

I like fillet knives too and use Dexter for all my fish so always end up using them working on big game also. I use the heck out of these two in addition to the regular fillet knives.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post

I also simmer the bones in a crock pot overnight to make broth. Adds to the flavor of soup or gumbo.
                      I’ve been thinking about doing this too. How do you preserve it? I assume you freeze it in portions, but what do you freeze it in? I was thinking in quart size mason jars. Do you think that would work?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        Maybe not much of a tip but I'll share with you a heavy preference of mine. If I can get a quarter on my stainless table without ever having to rinse it or have it touch a drop of water it makes for a much better experience. Working with a nice dry quarter is so much easier and cleaner. For hair I'll fillet the outer film off and don't normally have to bother picking much off after that.

This is what a hindquarter looks like when I'm done muscling it down, this is directly after deboning no clean up or anything straight from the leg to the tote. There shouldn't be any blood, water, or moisture really of any kind.
                        Nice work. Mine look similar however we go through a ton of burger in a year so most of my hams go to the grind pile and therefore don’t have to be as detailed as yours.

Hope you are well.

Comment

Used to bring to a processor, then learned to do it myself and would never go back. This is a typical scenario, so for those thinking about learning to do this, I highly recommend. YouTube is one place to learn from.

Get on the animal as soon as you dare depending on the shot placement. Hose it off if it's dirty, esp true for pigs. If you get the hide off properly you should have minimal hair or even none. When I was newer at it, and had a lot of hair on the carcass, i used a propane torch to singe the hair off. A problem I had was learning from my elders up north (Minnesota) leaving the deer hang. So much easier to get the hide off right away.

No walk in cooler? No problem! After skinning break down the carcass and put in a salt water slurry. This is my preferred way even over hanging in a walk-in. No the meat will not get mushy.

I like the gutless method when possible for cleaning. If I want to get heart, liver, or ribs I knock the guts out after breaking down the front quarters and the backstraps (loins).

I leave a lot of the silver skin on when breaking down the quarters. It adds another protective layer in the freezer. But, on any deer species, trim all fat and silver skin before cooking. Ok to leave fat on hogs IMO.

There's a lot more specifics but my biggest advice for this and a lot of things in life is to get after it. You'll make mistakes but you'll learn and just get better and better at it.

Good topic!

TS

Comment

Reduce the amount of work involved and increase quiet time at the table (full mouths don't talk much):

Comment

taking your time skinning & quartering makes the processing go a lot smoother. Less hair, less silver skin when I can peel a bunch off while its still warm.

I've processed mine for several years now. I will say it's made me a lot "choosier" on what and how many deer I shoot b/c I know I have to deal with it after lol

Comment

I don’t have the time, nor the want to really, to process my own deer. Others can do it way better than I could, so I will gladly pay someone to have good processing and not have to clean up any equipment… lol

Comment

Working...
                                X