2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brandon View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Rawlings Bait Camp? Just got to the house we normally stay at and it’s gone. And any recommendations on where to get bait?
    Well that just sux...that was my favorite place to get bait.Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been in a few years and had no idea it was gone. I hate going to the harbor for bait. It's just outta the way when you're fishing the surf.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

They are rebuilding Rawling's bait camp. It gets flooded everytime we have a gulf storm of any size. A metal building can only stand so many years of saltwater. After last summer's storm they decided to tear it down and start over.

You can buy bait at Harbor Bait and Tackle in Matagorda Harbor or at Wayne's Bait Camp next door to River Bend. Both have had good supplies of live bait all spring and summer.

The harbor bait camp is ever bit of 300 yards out of the way on your way to the beach. I can see how that would be a major hurdle to overcome. Luckily Wayne's is only 100 yards out of the way.

Comment

Well I found out this morning just how shallow you DON'T want to set the Mowdy down in suffice it to say that the wife and I had to push it 100 yards or so and got our workout. But it wasn't too terribly bad. Unfortunately, nothing was hitting anything we were throwing. Topwater at sun up, jigs a little later, and even shrimp and croaker as the day got hotter. Nothing but rat reds and "small" uglies to show for the trip

The dang wind made it slightly difficult to say the least. I don't know much about the salt, and this was the 6th trip down to Aransas/Corpus area so I certainly don't have anything figured out to say the least...but the places I have found to get some bites were rough and we had to venture into other areas. To say we didn't get a return on the fuel costs for this trip will be a severe understatement

But the travel trailer is set up here for the next month, and I'll be back a few times before we haul it to Sam Rayburn for the end of summer since our 16 yo son is working his first job with a relative from July 15th until school starts, and momma wants to be close by in case anything arises. Lets hope I can find some fish on the trips in the next month

Comment

I feel your pain. I went to a new marsh last week and got real stuck. Got caught in the wrong area on fast falling tide. I had to drag my boat a long way through the mud. I'm getting too old for that but it's part of the joys of boat ownership lol. You'll get em next time.

Comment

Wife wanted to take the kayaks out last night. She said if we wait for the wind to quit, we may never go.

So we loaded up the kayaks, her’s is an Old Town Topwater peddle, and mine is a Jackson Bite peddle.

Between the 2 of us we landed about 30 trout. Quite a few 15-17, but didn’t measure any.

Had a huge school of redfish in a light. I was standing on my kayak waiting for her to cast. Was going to cast right after her, but didn’t want to miss the strike.

She cast past the light, brought the lure on the edge, and one absolutely crushed it. Before I could cast the school spooked... and then she lost it. Tough luck.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
              I feel your pain. I went to a new marsh last week and got real stuck. Got caught in the wrong area on fast falling tide. I had to drag my boat a long way through the mud. I'm getting too old for that but it's part of the joys of boat ownership lol. You'll get em next time.
              We got a good laugh out of it and found out what to avoid for sure. I’m just glad it was a soft bottom, I’ve seen a few pics of hard sandy bottom “stops” that I hope to never deal with a guide who was running the Mowdy at the Cove Harbor boat show a few weeks ago gave us a few pointers while we were running around waiting on customers to arrive before the show started that Friday morning. I’d been apprehensive about running shallow, found out I don’t have too much to worry about…just can’t shut her down in the real skinny stuff. Learning more about the capabilities with every trip

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                We got a good laugh out of it and found out what to avoid for sure. I’m just glad it was a soft bottom, I’ve seen a few pics of hard sandy bottom “stops” that I hope to never deal with a guide who was running the Mowdy at the Cove Harbor boat show a few weeks ago gave us a few pointers while we were running around waiting on customers to arrive before the show started that Friday morning. I’d been apprehensive about running shallow, found out I don’t have too much to worry about…just can’t shut her down in the real skinny stuff. Learning more about the capabilities with every trip
                What Mowdy are you running ?

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                  Back when I had my brand spankin new Kenner I did that, but had to push it across a 30ft wide stretch of oyster to get it in the clear. You think running you nails across a chalk board is a horrible sound.

Comment

Well I found out this morning just how shallow you DON'T want to set the Mowdy down in suffice it to say that the wife and I had to push it 100 yards or so and got our workout. But it wasn't too terribly bad. Unfortunately, nothing was hitting anything we were throwing. Topwater at sun up, jigs a little later, and even shrimp and croaker as the day got hotter. Nothing but rat reds and "small" uglies to show for the trip

The dang wind made it slightly difficult to say the least. I don't know much about the salt, and this was the 6th trip down to Aransas/Corpus area so I certainly don't have anything figured out to say the least...but the places I have found to get some bites were rough and we had to venture into other areas. To say we didn't get a return on the fuel costs for this trip will be a severe understatement

But the travel trailer is set up here for the next month, and I'll be back a few times before we haul it to Sam Rayburn for the end of summer since our 16 yo son is working his first job with a relative from July 15th until school starts, and momma wants to be close by in case anything arises. Lets hope I can find some fish on the trips in the next month
                    Get you a TowBoat USA membership for down there, I am not sure but I wanna say its 100-110 bucks a year and they'll come pull you out next time you get stuck like that. If you're in the Corpus area look them up Justin Nesloney owns that area.

Comment

Lucky you could push it. When I do that its usually in the sand

Comment

Yall are giving me PTSD flashbacks, hard sand bottoms are a mother in a heavy flatbottom boat. I've used that Progressive Sign & Glide or whatever they call it a couple times now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                          What Mowdy are you running ?
                          Picked up a C25 not long after messaging you last year. We’re loving it
                          Originally posted by 160class View Post
                          Get you a TowBoat USA membership for down there, I am not sure but I wanna say its 100-110 bucks a year and they'll come pull you out next time you get stuck like that. If you're in the Corpus area look them up Justin Nesloney owns that area.
                          Been trying to decide between SeaTow and Boat US…if we hadn’t been able to break the suction and push it to a deeper pocket, I’d have been kicking myself
                          Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          Lucky you could push it. When I do that its usually in the sand
                          That ain’t no joke I’m very glad it was a soft bottom

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                            Pretty sure it's close to $200/,yr now. I have a rider on my boat insurance that runs about $30 and I used it when my hydraulic steering broke. I paid and my insurance reimbursed me. The only draw back that I know of is if there are some towboat users than need towing they get preference and you might have to wait a good while to get towed.

Comment

stormsurf.com has the surf looking good starting Friday afternoon through the weekend. It could be time to get your revenge on those surf trout.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                Pretty sure it's close to $200/,yr now. I have a rider on my boat insurance that runs about $30 and I used it when my hydraulic steering broke. I paid and my insurance reimbursed me. The only draw back that I know of is if there are some towboat users than need towing they get preference and you might have to wait a good while to get towed.
                                Just went to their Facebook page and as of May 29 it was $115

Comment

Working...
                                X