2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    Yeah I’m not sure what happened… oh well I’m going to weld them up and see how that goes… I’ll be keeping eyes open for a new lower unit or maybe I’ll just hang a 175 off the back??!
    Just trying to weld that up is going to leave you stranded for sure. Lower unit needs to be disassembled 1st. Inspect gears & shafts. Then clean gear case & try to weld it. I would try to find a good used lower unit or used case 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Shane, please tell Mr. Rylan I said howdy!! Hope he gets to come with you toe the LeBlanc GTG!
      There is a lot on our plate at the moment but we plan on attending. We have a gathering at noon that same day and my mom is now in the hospital. Hopefully she breaks out by then.

Rylan will be with us and he's hankering for some Crawfish. If all goes well we'll be there but just a little tardy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I’d fill in the cracks with something like this. Your running on borrowed time anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I spoke with tommy Tran and he said it’s very common… said it’s caused by the race getting corrosion and expanding. Seemed very confident he could fix it right for about 600$… he said to keep running it but get it to him sooner than later for repairs or I could hang a 175 zuk off the back for 14k… guess what he recommended lol

Comment

I know nobody likes them, but if SEI makes a LU for your engine they tend to run about $2k ready to go last I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              I know nobody likes them, but if SEI makes a LU for your engine they tend to run about $2k ready to go last I checked.
              Before i sink 2k in this 20 year old motor I might just hang a new one off the back….

Comment

Before i sink 2k in this 20 year old motor I might just hang a new one off the back….
                Yeah but you'll be stuck with a Suzuki. LOL

Comment

So I spoke with tommy Tran and he said it’s very common… said it’s caused by the race getting corrosion and expanding. Seemed very confident he could fix it right for about 600$… he said to keep running it but get it to him sooner than later for repairs or I could hang a 175 zuk off the back for 14k… guess what he recommended lol
                  I don't understand what he's talking about. There is no race or bearing to cause that Crack. The bearings are in the bearing carrier. One set lower than your crack and one set at the propshaft. The bearing carrier is sealed by a big o ring at the bottom.

Comment

Snuck out this morning before the wife left for work.

Pretty much bank fished today fishing a gut with a sand and shell bottom.

Wind was brutal and coming from the wrong direction. Usually it runs parallel to the shoreline. Today it was quartering towards me from the left side. I tried to cast into it. Not very successful. 40-50 yard casts were now 20.

Landed 18 trout, and 1 black drum. Most of the trout were 15-16” and THICK!!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                      Snuck out this morning before the wife left for work.

Pretty much bank fished today fishing a gut with a sand and shell bottom.

Wind was brutal and coming from the wrong direction. Usually it runs parallel to the shoreline. Today it was quartering towards me from the left side. I tried to cast into it. Not very successful. 40-50 yard casts were now 20.

Landed 18 trout, and 1 black drum. Most of the trout were 15-16” and THICK!!!
                      Congrats!

Comment

Terrible timing but might be time to cut your losses.

Comment

Found these pretty good cracks in my lower unit today while doing some maintenance…

Plan is to try and weld them back up until I can get a new lower unit. Anyone ever had success doing that?

Doesn’t leak oil but I guess it’s letting some water contaminate the gear lube, or I’ve got a bad seal.

That lower unit has been sitting in the water, electrolysis has fatigued the metal

Comment

New motor will last a rec fishermen a lifetime

Comment

After seeing those l/u pics on a bigger screen I'll say your wasting your money trying to weld those cracks.

Comment

Had a good day this past Saturday out of Rockport. I was up by 530 but the girls didn’t roll out of bed until 7 and made it to the ramp about 8. Had 5 oversized Reds with cut menhaden and some solid trout on a popping cork. Wind picked up that afternoon so we called it quits. Wife wanted to keep every redfish she caught but ended up tagging one! Trout were stacked on the rocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X