2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    ...and this is why I NEVER post pics of ANYTHING I "harvest".
    I’m definitely not against him keeping anything he’s allowed to, I’ve pulled loads of trout out of that lake over the last several decades. My gripe is the inconsistencies by the governing bodies on limits.

I’m more into big trout these days and sure wishing we could go back in time to 10-11 yrs ago on Sabine
    Last edited by slayr; 04-07-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      ...and this is why I NEVER post pics of ANYTHING I "harvest".
      Boohoo

Comment

Headed down to Freeport this weekend. I know it's probably a little early, but is the surf fishing any good yet? I've never fished down there so any tips are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
          Headed down to Freeport this weekend. I know it's probably a little early, but is the surf fishing any good yet? I've never fished down there so any tips are welcome.

Gonna be rough rough, with this wind.

Comment

Last week wasn't too bad other than constantly changing water levels and wind directions. We had some really high tides that pulled in a bunch of good green gulf water and kicked off a couple days of good trout fishing. Then the wind turned around and we lost all that water and then some which pulled a bunch of redfish out of the marsh and set us up for about 3 days of good redfish action. And as of yesterday I am sure the reds are riding the swelling tide from that hard south wind to the far back of the marsh and we'll probably catch trout pretty well for the next few days.

Most of the fish we have caught the last few days have been on white/chart Gulp shrimp under Coastal Corks drifting deep shell. A few on live shrimp too. Prior to that most of the trout caught on my boat were on Vudu shrimp under Coastal Corks or on Bass Assassin 4" and 5" shad on 1/8 oz heads. Mainly on salt n pepper/chart, plum/chart and chicken on a chain. Depending on water clarity. Plum on sandy days and I use lots of s&p this time of year with all the little shad and glass minnows around.

I caught a pretty good trout Saturday mid-day that went 8# and lost one Friday morning that was in the same size range. Possibly a little bigger. She made a good run pulling drag a good ways, circling the boat and then came right at me on the surface shaking her head and threw the hook. Both were on soft plastics in 3-4' of water over shell.

Here are some pics from the last few days.

Comment

Man, yall are getting after them.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                Last week wasn't too bad other than constantly changing water levels and wind directions. We had some really high tides that pulled in a bunch of good green gulf water and kicked off a couple days of good trout fishing. Then the wind turned around and we lost all that water and then some which pulled a bunch of redfish out of the marsh and set us up for about 3 days of good redfish action. And as of yesterday I am sure the reds are riding the swelling tide from that hard south wind to the far back of the marsh and we'll probably catch trout pretty well for the next few days.

Most of the fish we have caught the last few days have been on white/chart Gulp shrimp under Coastal Corks drifting deep shell. A few on live shrimp too. Prior to that most of the trout caught on my boat were on Vudu shrimp under Coastal Corks or on Bass Assassin 4" and 5" shad on 1/8 oz heads. Mainly on salt n pepper/chart, plum/chart and chicken on a chain. Depending on water clarity. Plum on sandy days and I use lots of s&p this time of year with all the little shad and glass minnows around.

I caught a pretty good trout Saturday mid-day that went 8# and lost one Friday morning that was in the same size range. Possibly a little bigger. She made a good run pulling drag a good ways, circling the boat and then came right at me on the surface shaking her head and threw the hook. Both were on soft plastics in 3-4' of water over shell.

Here are some pics from the last few days.

Nice report Glenn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Nice Job Glen....hope you were not out on the water yesterday in that wind!

Comment

Nice trout Glenn!

Comment

Slayed them. Nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                          I’m definitely not against him keeping anything he’s allowed to, I’ve pulled loads of trout out of that lake over the last several decades. My gripe is the inconsistencies by the governing bodies on limits.

I’m more into big trout these days and sure wishing we could go back in time to 10-11 yrs ago on Sabine
                          The good ole days, when depending on the time of year we could go limit almost at will in keith lake, sabine, the jetties, and the ship channel. it's a lot different lake these days. don't think overharvesting really has much to do with it, though.

Comment

We got on the sheepshead fishing the rocks out by Port A. We probably caught about 40 and some small reds and black drum fishing live shrimp. Kept 5 for dinner! First time back since October of last year. This deer season stuff gets in the way of fishing. Can’t upload pictures but we will be getting down to Rockport more often!

Jerryg

Comment

Here's a few pics from the last few days. Fishing has been pretty good overall, a couple of slow days with the full moon and high pressure systems but some pretty good days too. A few bigger trout are being caught as well as quite a few solid 18-22" trout and a fair number of redfish and drum. As you can see in my pics we had a couple surprise catches in addition to our usuals including a big jack, gar and not in the pics was a pile of blue cats on one trip this weekend up to about 7 or 8 pounds.

The water temp is now up in the 74 degree range. There is an abundance of baitfish all over the place. The shrimp we are getting for bait are huge and the fish don't really want them. I think they are really keyed in on small stuff right now. I've been catching way better on Bass Assassins rigged on 1/8th oz jig heads and also on gulps and vudus under Coastal Corks than on live bait. It's to the point I don't even know why I bother buying any live shrimp. All my best trips lately have been on lures, which is excellent.

I have this wed, thur and sun open if anyone would like to come fish. I've got some openings in May as well including a couple weekend days. Y'all give me a call and get on the calendar.

Here's a few pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerryg View Post
                                We got on the sheepshead fishing the rocks out by Port A. We probably caught about 40 and some small reds and black drum fishing live shrimp. Kept 5 for dinner! First time back since October of last year. This deer season stuff gets in the way of fishing. Can’t upload pictures but we will be getting down to Rockport more often!

Jerryg

Awesome! Me and Glen got on them a couple weeks ago in the same area. We caught a ton of them and kept limits a couple days. Blast to catch and Super good on the table.

Comment

Working...
                                X