Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late January a few years back I missed a buck that I’d been after all season standing broadside at 100 yards. He runs about 30 yards away and stops behind a big oak tree. All I can see is his neck and head, and being that I was already really angry at myself for blowing my one chance, I said “**** it” and sent another one. I hit him right where I was aiming and he dropped dead in his tracks.

My other best/luckiest shot was a hog I shot free-handed at 160 yards. Dropped her stone dead too.

Comment

I had a squirrel that was eating my tripod seat. I got in the tripod on day and it was one tree over barking at me. I sent an arrow right through that sucker the full length of his body and the arrow exited and separated him from his tail. He fell 20 feet down with a thump with his tail falling behind him.
      Punk squirrel

Comment

Forgot about this one. We left the ranch to run into town, and we had put all our rifles in the back of the suburban. Had a couple pistols left up front. I carried a 4” SW 357. We got back to the ranch entrance, and as I jumped out to open the gate a coyote took off running. It was about to crest a hill at roughly 45-50 yds. I grabbed the 357 and threw a Hail Mary as it was on top of the hill. Down this little mangy sucker went. It wouldn’t hit 15 lbs soaking wet!
        Attached Files

Comment

I'ma be a big hater. Not knowing what lies behind what you're shooting at isn't a lucky shot

Comment

Ok, gonna get busted on this one.
            Decades ago was in East Texas with a buddy when a blue heron popped out on the dirt road in front of us at around 175 yards. Had my brothers open sights marlin 30/30. Buddy challenged me that I couldnt hit it. I knew I would miss so took him up. I nailed that sucker.

Comment

I shot the only Bobcat I ever saw(toting a rifle)@a shade over 300 yards.It was sleeting,and snowing..I had it mounted by Johnny Hurt in Ballinger..Far,and away the best(luckiest shot)I ever made.180gr.silverballistic tip.338 win mag.Remington Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                I'ma be a big hater. Not knowing what lies behind what you're shooting at isn't a lucky shot
                I'll just say the collateral damage I've witnessed were target species or would have been next in line anyway. Therefore they should have been more aware of what was beyond my intended target.

I've never known anyone that's shot an animal and hit a person at the same time. Usually they just flat missed and shot someone or a vehicle. Although I know a guy that got a twofer while pheasant huntin. Hit a guy and a truck at the same time. If you're gonna go that route might as well go big I guess.
                Last edited by okrattler; 12-25-2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
                  Ok, gonna get busted on this one.
                  Decades ago was in East Texas with a buddy when a blue heron popped out on the dirt road in front of us at around 175 yards. Had my brothers open sights marlin 30/30. Buddy challenged me that I couldnt hit it. I knew I would miss so took him up. I nailed that sucker.
                  Unless it's still laying in the road it's just a story. Haven't heard of any cold case files animal edition so you're probably alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                    I shot the only Bobcat I ever saw(toting a rifle)@a shade over 300 yards.It was sleeting,and snowing..I had it mounted by Johnny Hurt in Ballinger..Far,and away the best(luckiest shot)I ever made.180gr.silverballistic tip.338 win mag.Remington Classic.
                    Holy crap balls, I can't believe there was anything left to get mounted.

Comment

130 yards on a running doe with a slug gun open sights.

Comment

I hit a really big pronghorn on a dead sprint. Dead before he hit the ground lol.

We finished up a morning duck hunt that was slow. Headed to the truck when a duck flew over really really high. Like way outta reach we thought. I gave it a whirl. Buddy laughed and said “told you you’d miss it!” Couple seconds later the duck starts falling . Goldeneye drake. Got that one mounted.

My favorite. I grew up hunting with a buddy in his families ranch south of midland. Big ranch. We killed literally thousands of rabbits and varmints over the years. But we had been trying to hit those tiny mice that just flat disappear. Tiny ones. I forget what kind it was exactly. Anyway we were driving in the jeep and I had my 17 with me when a mouse ran across the road in front of us. I just pointed my 17 at it but looking through the scope and I hit it! Haaaaa! We were so pumped lol. Lots of good memories out there.

Sane buddy had a family ranch in old glory. We were in junior high I think it was at the time. His das abd us were driving through a CRP field when a coyote took off running. They had an old SKS shooting cheap surplus ammo with us. This gun never got cleaned. Had been beat up and rode hard. I threw that gun up and whack! Running coyote dead lol. Think that was my first coyote too!

Not me but that buddy was the shooter in this one. We drove around popping bunnies and anything we could find. He had a hi point 9mm carbine. A buzzard was flying 100+ yards out and he bet me he could hit it. This dude is a horrible shot with a rifle too (hi Perry ) I’ll be ****ed if that bird didn’t fall out if the sky lol. It was crazy.

Comment

Trying to make a good shot, didn’t necessarily mean to center punch the pump station.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I killed an 8 point buck at 43 yards with my Ruger 9mm pistol.

Killed a whitetail doe at 428 yards with a 25-06

Killed a hog at 608 yards with a 7 mag

Killed two does with one shot on purpose with at 150 yards with a 7 mag

Comment

I once heard a story about a girl being attacked by a boar hog around midnight..Hog was on top of girl and another lady was 150 yards away and........

Comment

Shot 3 mallard drakes on two shots and yes all flying.

Also made 13 straight free throw shots in a game when I was an 9th grader��
                                Last edited by asu-indian; 12-25-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X