• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
    You can turn those alerts off on the iPhone in notifications

Done, and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      I would like to know the statistics on how many of these alerts are from one separated parent taking their own child from the other vs. how many are actually 'kidnapped' by someone they dont know.

I can think of 1 call out of 100s from the days on the streets where a child was actually kidnapped by a stranger.
      Honestly, unfortunately you’re probably right. Never really thought of that.

Comment

The one yesterday in San Antonio was a 9 year old girl whose parents and her are Afghan refugees. She was playing on the playground in their apartment complex. Mom went inside for a minute came out and the child was gone. There were several other kids and adults there too but nobody saw what happened. They did an air search and found nothing. I only pay attention if it is near me or if I am at home I will post it on book of Faces.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
          Don't know. I turned that feature off. Got tired of getting an alert at 0200 hours about a kid that was 600 miles away.
          Yep. If they would only send them to the immediate area, I might leave it turned on. But sending alerts to people hundreds of miles away isn't helping. If anything, it's resulting in more of us turning off the feature on our phones.

Comment

I would like to know the statistics on how many of these alerts are from one separated parent taking their own child from the other vs. how many are actually 'kidnapped' by someone they dont know.

I can think of 1 call out of 100s from the days on the streets where a child was actually kidnapped by a stranger.
            Hard to argue that. Curious though, of all the calls what percentage of the kids taken by another family member were in danger? Off topic but when I worked sex crimes it was astounding the proportion that were committed within family units and when you hear about children being killed it's often times by a parent.

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Yep. If they would only send them to the immediate area, I might leave it turned on. But sending alerts to people hundreds of miles away isn't helping. If anything, it's resulting in more of us turning off the feature on our phones.
            Absolutely agree. It's the boy who cried wolf, nobody wants to get woken up in the middle of the night by an amber alert that is happening on the other side of the state, if they could narrow the recipient field to people more likely to encounter the subject I think it would be much more effective.

I'd like to think there's statistics that support its efficacy but when considering Megan's Law that seems unlikely.
            Last edited by kae006; 12-22-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
              Hard to argue that. Curious though, of all the calls what percentage of the kids taken by another family member were in danger? Off topic but when I worked sex crimes it was astounding the proportion that were committed within family units and when you hear about children being killed it's often times by a parent.

Absolutely agree. It's the boy who cried wolf, nobody wants to get woken up in the middle of the night by an amber alert that is happening on the other side of the state, if they could narrow the recipient field to people more likely to encounter the subject I think it would be much more effective.

I'd like to think there's statistics that support its efficacy but when considering Megan's Law that seems unlikely.
              I can't recall one.

It's usually the parents trying to get back at each other at the child's expense.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't recall one.

It's usually the parents trying to get back at each other at the child's expense.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                People suck

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                  To be honest, it’s not happening more frequently. We are just now starting to hear about them. Kids have been kidnapped a lot, especially in high traffic areas, but we would rarely hear about it.
                  I’m talking in terms of recent time. I’ve gotten more in the last 3 weeks than the last 6 months.

raise your hand if you actually pay attention to them.........
                  I do. Call me naive but I look at it from the perspective of my kid, and if it were my kid, I’d want every breathing human to have the info

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    You can turn those alerts off on the iPhone in notifications

Thanks

Comment

They don’t bother me. If my child or grandchild was kidnapped, I would hope that as many notifications as possible would go out.

Even if the kidnapping was several hundred miles from your location, the kidnapper can be traveling and easily be near you if there was a delay in the alert.

Comment

Working...
                      X