Fireplaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireplaces

If you are a "get to the point" type reader, skip to the last paragraph.

Growing up, my dad spent the night on the couch every Christmas Eve. He had to so that he could let Santa in since we had no fireplace nor chimney, so I was told.

Now that I have my own house with a fireplace, I have found a love for a good fire heating my home on chilly nights. Right now I have a fire rippin' n' roarin'. The cracking sounds and aromas permeating from the fire are nice.

However, the wife does not share this love of a good fire. The smokey scents set her allergies off. Not to mention the task of cleaning the fireplace isn't a chore either of us look forward to.

Since I am going to hook up our house to a generator running off propane, I figured I should look at converting my wood burning fireplace to a propane burning one. Anyone have any leads?

Do you already have a gas starter? Do you have an insert or the real deal fireplace ? If so it can be done very easily. That is if you can get the gas starter extension broken lose and not snap off.

This is where I bought my last couple of sets, a previous house and this one I am in now. They show you how to measure for the correct size. You will have to chose LP or NG.

Last edited by tps7742; 12-21-2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks. It is a traditional wood fireplace with no starter. I figure since I will have a big LP tank for the generator, I could use that for the fireplace also.

Comment

I've looked into recently. I have to run about 60 feet of line around the back of the house from my meter. I've been given quotes from $14-1800 if done to code.

Comment

You’ve got 2 separate aspects here. 1st is getting the gas line to, and into the fireplace. That needs to be done by a licensed plumber.

Then you just need a set of gas logs, which is part of what we do at Swbrickandfireplace.com You’ll need to consider the merits of vented vs unvented logs, then we can set you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            You’ve got 2 separate aspects here. 1st is getting the gas line to, and into the fireplace. That needs to be done by a licensed plumber.

Then you just need a set of gas logs, which is part of what we do at Swbrickandfireplace.com You’ll need to consider the merits of vented vs unvented logs, then we can set you up.

Going with gas logs over a traditional wood burning fireplace was a no-brainer when we built our home. I had the traditional style for 20 years in a previous house...and all the headaches that go with it. It's great to walk over there and flip the switch and get a great fire that provides heat without all the nonsense associated with traditional. Dale's guys did a great job with installation and service after the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
              Going with gas logs over a traditional wood burning fireplace was a no-brainer when we built our home. I had the traditional style for 20 years in a previous house...and all the headaches that go with it. It's great to walk over there and flip the switch and get a great fire that provides heat without all the nonsense associated with traditional. Dale's guys did a great job with installation and service after the sale.
              X2 with what you said. Remote works well also from the sofa on up/down with flames.

Comment

I have natural gas now and really do not care for it. It is more for show than heat.

I would look at a wood burning insert before putting in a propane feed.

Comment

Good stuff here, thanks. So sounds like I would need to get the lp tank, then run a line from there to fireplace via plumber, then get the gas logs which I can go through swbrickandfireplace.com thru. Good to know. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    I have natural gas now and really do not care for it. It is more for show than heat.

I would look at a wood burning insert before putting in a propane feed.
                    All gas fireplaces are not created equal.

Comment

All gas fireplaces are not created equal.
                      I’m guessing I have a less than equal one then.

Mine is a true fireplace, not like the insert surrounds you see now days.

The faux logs I have put out almost NO heat what so ever.

It came with the house when I bought it.

Comment

Clay, I think all of your posts could use that first line

I'm just messing with you neighbor, good luck on your propane adventures!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          I’m guessing I have a less than equal one then.

Mine is a true fireplace, not like the insert surrounds you see now days.

The faux logs I have put out almost NO heat what so ever.

It came with the house when I bought it.
                          If you want heat from gas, put in ventless logs and shut the damper.

Comment

If you want heat from gas, put in ventless logs and shut the damper.
                            Interesting. How do you tell if you have these?

Also, this sounds like a disaster in the making……

Comment

Subbed, looking into this right now as well

Comment

Working...
                              X