Self-sufficiency on the rise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-sufficiency on the rise...

Just a quick rambling note. I've talked to dozens of rabbit/quail/goat/chicken/pig breeders (not the ISIS/Al Qaeda types). The trend towards self-sufficiency is on a quick rise in our country. You may not hear about it because the media and government don't like for you to be independent of big money resources and gummint cheese.

The sales of all things "homestead" is through the roof.

We are selling TAMUK Composite meat rabbits like crazy. Wish we had expanded sooner since it's a slow process to establish excellent breeding lines by trial and error.

Chicken and quail raising supplies are selling out quick, the price of feed is up (like everything else).

Youtube channels for gardening, homesteading, butchering, processing, prepping, canning, etc. are exploding in views/subscribers.

The reasons for being more self-sufficient are obvious.

Just an observation. Do with it what you like.

This is very true. Good advise.

Comment

I’m almost self sufficient on my place. I’ve raised chickens, rabbits, quail, turkeys, even honeybees for the honey. I have stocked ponds full of catfish and perch. Lots of wild game on the 4,000 I lease around my home. I use to garden but haven’t in a few years.

Comment

The trend is real and legit. Need a way to generate electricity and pump water . Wind mill might be the answer.

Comment

We have the protein side of things covered but need to make time for more gardening and canning. Both know how just hard to squeeze it all in.

Comment

Good psa

Comment

Was getting things arranged so we were sitting nice, then was forced to sell. Take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. It took a few months but we are back on our feet and are looking to buy some property sometime in the next few months, then we can start putting it all back together again. But better this time!

My only prayer is that things don’t go belly up till after we get a foot hold on a new place.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                We have the protein side of things covered but need to make time for more gardening and canning. Both know how just hard to squeeze it all in.
                That's what I told my wife. I'll feed us real good....right up until we die of scurvy.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  That's what I told my wife. I'll feed us real good....right up until we die of scurvy.
                  Lol! I can kill a plastic cactus! If I gotta garden I’m in trouble!!

Maybe I’ll trade fish for veggies!!

Comment

Pressure canning for the first time a week ago. Really enjoy it

Comment

There is an endless supply of pork running around out there. My wife doesn't like pork but if that's all there is???

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                        Pressure canning for the first time a week ago. Really enjoy it
                        What all did u can?

Comment

Self sufficient until we don’t have electricity... few are truly self sufficient

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            What all did u can?
                            Venison, Blake’s chili, bone in chicken, and chicken soup. I’m ate up😄

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                              Venison, Blake’s chili, bone in chicken, and chicken soup. I’m ate up[emoji1]
                              Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X