Hunting Excitement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Excitement

Is it still there for you? Let me start by saying I will turn 62 this coming March and I've been a hunter since 1966. My first gun was a single action 410 bolt gun and I remember my first animal like it was yesterday. October 1st, 1966, dad and I were dressed and walked outside where he loaded his .22 rifle. We were in Tensas Parish at my grandparent's home, they lived in the country and had Pecan trees everywhere. We would be hunting the woods, now known as the Tensas National Refuge, but I spotted a big fat fox squirrel in one Pecan tree and asked dad if we could hunt now. He asked sure, and I pointed out the squirrel and put a stalk on him, and moments later BANG.

As the years went by, into high school, fall would come around and during my senior year, I had enough credits to graduate and all my core classes, so it was 3 classes in the morning, 2 hour lunch period and one class after lunch. Sometimes I would miss homeroom check-in and first period because I would be in the woods. Other times, which were many, I would leave after 3rd period, go pond jumping and be back at school with a limit of ducks. Sometimes, I would even have a nutria or two, maybe even a muskrat, that I caught in a small trap line I would run.

As the years progressed, I harvested animals by different means, recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow, pistol, rifle, in-line muzzleloader, percussion cap muzzleloader, and even shot a pig once with a flintlock rifle. This year I've taken 2 deer with my 243, but it was more or less I sat in the stand and literally watched animals for hours just to see how they interact with one another and then a buck shows up and bang.

I haven't really bowhunted in several years because of shoulder, but then again, I thought I always wanted to shoot 70 pounds all the time. I'm really missing it though, thinking it would put some excitement back into hunting. There are a bunch of Pigs at the lease as well and I really miss sticking some of those with an arrow.

Anyway, that's my Saturday morning posts as I sit here drinking coffee and thinking I need to get moving and be productive today.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

it is still there for me, just in the form of guide...taking my kids hunting is a great thrill. I did get excited last Saturday evening hunting by myself. Was watching a couple spikes(one has spikes probably 10" going straight up) on one end of the food plot and three doe on the other end when i look back at the doe and seen a big black blob, put the binos up....Pig!!! Got so excited that i missed not once or twice, but three times! All i could do was thank God for the chance...and laugh at how fast he was running on the second and third shot, lol

Comment

I hear you

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
      it is still there for me, just in the form of guide...taking my kids hunting is a great thrill. I did get excited last Saturday evening hunting by myself. Was watching a couple spikes(one has spikes probably 10" going straight up) on one end of the food plot and three doe on the other end when i look back at the doe and seen a big black blob, put the binos up....Pig!!! Got so excited that i missed not once or twice, but three times! All i could do was thank God for the chance...and laugh at how fast he was running on the second and third shot, lol
      Now, not saying I don't get excited, but thinking I may just revert back to bowhunting. Thinking I might need a new bow lol

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        Now, not saying I don't get excited, but thinking I may just revert back to bowhunting. Thinking I might need a new bow lol
        i need one too...first year i didn't bow hunt in 19yrs. Had to sell my bow to pay some bills..and my son playing select baseball. We didn't make a hunt until second Saturday of rifle season..

Comment

I still get excited while hunting. My heart still races almost as fast when I arrow a doe as when I arrow a buck. I pretty much just bowhunt any more, so that may play a part in it. But heck, I still get giddy the day before a hunt and can hardly sleep that night. I'm 50 by the way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Been shootin them for 46 years and still get excited when I'm sneaking up on a squirrel or anything else for that matter. I am alot more picky about shooting deer though, so I guess they don't ALL excite me like they used to.

Comment

When I stop being excited about hunting is when my heart has stopped beating.

Comment

When I’m locked on the string or throw the safety off I’m 10 years old again.

Comment

me too

Comment

Working...
                  X