1997 f350 7.3 won’t start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 f350 7.3 won’t start

So today I was driving to the ranch doing 65 mph When I want to accelerate the truck didn’t go anywhere I told myself this can’t be good and pulled off to the side do you Truck then died out and never started again Had to have it towed home
    I replaced the fuel filter and still won’t start do you guys have any ideas what could be wrong Truck is all original with 90,000 miles

Cam sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

High pressure oil pump

Comment

Cam sensor. Easy to change. I carry 2 extra in my truck.

Comment

Thank you all I was so worried

Comment

Start with the cam sensor for sure.

Comment

replace the cam sensor, if that does not do the trick.
              Siphon some diesel into a white bucket.
              If the fuel is a darker color than normal diesel, it is your fuel injector O rings

Comment

Did anyone mention the cam position sensor yet?

Comment

Usually cam sensor will act up before going completely bad, like truck dying out but will start right back up. If this is not the problem check the IDM module

Comment

Google 7.3 crank no start flow chart, you can thank me later. Start with the CPS, assuming oil level is good. These engines don't just not run. Everybody recommends changing the CPS with a Ford or International part, I couldn't get my hands on one and lucked out with whatever O'Reilly had. Keep us updated. I've got a 95 F350 drw as well, OBS or bust!

Comment

CPS
                      does the tach move at all when cranking? if no cam sensor

HPOP
                      Need to check oil pressure when cranking for HPOP diagnosis. Needs to be at least 500psi for injectors to fire. There are a cpl of sensors that relay that info to CPU. Those could be bad too. if the HPOP is putting out pressure.

Other
                      Then there are things like glowplug relay, etc for no start. But since it died and no start I'd lean twds injector oil pressure.

Need something like a scangauge to help with diagnosis. That is what I used on my 7.3. Can get at favorite auto parts retailer, worth every penny.

Comment

Was there fuel in the fuel bowl when you changed the filter?

Comment

If you get to the end of the chart and it still doesn't start buy a new truck.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
                            Was there fuel in the fuel bowl when you changed the filter?
                            No it was dry going to try to get on it when I get off work

Comment

Yes correct its a Ford. Very common problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X