No announcement yet.

Whats your career??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEP engineering consulting for 13 years now. I consult for both owners and architects to renovate existing facilities and design new facilities from the ground up. To say it is a struggle to keep up with demand in Dallas/Fort Worth for new buildings would be an understatement. Colleges aren't producing enough students that are interested in doing what we do....they would rather work somewhere sexy like Google or Tesla.

Comment

Retired at 58, been over 3 1/2 years now….best move I ever made!

Comment

11 years as a plant operator the last 6yrs as a control room operator

good pay, lots of time off.. but shift work can be hard

Comment

Deputy sheriff for almost 3 years.

Railroad conductor/engineer for the last 17.

Comment

New and Used auto parts sales!!
            I’m a junk man!

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
              Deputy sheriff for almost 3 years.

Railroad conductor/engineer for the last 17.
              There was a time I was going to leave LE and go work for the railroad. Why the change?

Comment

Male Gigolo.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Male Gigolo.
                  Drawing unemployment I presume.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                    Do you think this might drive the computing world from cloud back to on-prem? I see cybersec costs going up so fast that it takes away most of the cost savings the cloud used to have. My software customers have gone from 95% on prem in 2015 to all-cloud in 2020, now some are asking about going back to on-prem.

Yes - and the industry has realized - premise/hybrid server farms (virtualized and lease the million dollar plus servers and storage), maintain in house with staff you can trust and - run background checks on (we are talking about access to all - SSNR - Data - Finances et al).

My CEO and private owner, has a friend with a world-wide business, that moved from premise to cloud - thru the course of recent times - 2012 to now.

We moved from a Win2k8 domain MS 2019 Datacenter Server (unlimited licensing for servers - need another VM server - bam it's online). It took us about a year, no in place upgrades, all legacy 2008 was reinstalled and reconfigured onto the 2019 Platform. Database - Telco - Exchange 2019 Server (premise SMTP solutions as well - no cloud) et al.

We knocked it out, working with a MS VAR to factor in licensing and costs.

We purchased MS Office 2019 with bulk licensing, and use the media ISO install version instead of Office 365 or AZURE or any other hooks into the cloud

CEO's friend, did the same move. He was quoted 3.5 million to get it done, country to country and cloud center to cloud center......it's now at 11.5 million and it's not completed yet......

So I've asked all - the CEOs and CFO's to compare pre and post cloud run rates

Factor that with bandwidth costs to the cloud versus, premise private ethernet with dedicated fiber point to point (costs in Texas are cheap). Toss your network gear on the ends, TCP/IP map the domain and all connections inside, route inside and never see the INET at fiber line speeds.

Virtual servers on high end chassis with SSD storage in the 80 tb range - the speeds my users connect on the inside average no less that 1gb.

A guaranteed 1gb fiber pipe to the cloud, and then onto your storage at cloud data center - that 1gb link is over 100k per month - for commercial level internet traffic.

So to by pass that, you then need to build out private networks to a cloud data center to control costs.......at that point, you are tied to that data center and you do not manage the bodies who have PHYSICAL ACCESS to you COMPANY.

2022 CyberSecurity concerns are exactly this - cloud and security as it relates to REGULATIONS and PRIVACY - much less espionage and extortion by hackers in those same cloud data centers

This is the point where the marketing side of our industry are served, by young sales folks who are cloud kids

They do not have a clue of PRE-INTERNET designs - sans CLOUD and this new SOFTWARE PAY AS YOU GO -BS Model the tech firms have weasled some into.

My 757 word essay - as per QUAKERBOX (who loves me to death) above, explains the just of why.

Been here since the beginning - I didn't toss our baby out with the bath water. We own what we manage PHYSICALLY

I can back a truck up - and move in one weekend - as long as my relocation zone was tested and setup for the network cut-over.

Done it many time and this was what sold us - we can do it again over and over as we grow without a 3rd party controlling our costs and planning much less the risk of exposure and hacks, once it leaves our control.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Didn’t say I made any money at it, just a career decision

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post

Comment

Here's a concern many firms, in the small to medium size (over 80% of the USA), really need to recognize their storage and security concerns first and foremost.

Putting corporate data in the cloud with a cloud provider, it's not as easy as buying new software and installing it locally on a test lab, move data there and analyze the time it takes to complete - with the other factors of IT (user accounts - mobile devices - b2b portals via browsers with financials) - IF A FIRM HAS A REGULATORY OR PRIVACY REGULATION - WITH CONTROLS WITH ACCESS TO THAT DATA - THOSE CLOUD SOB'S WILL KILL YOU WITH COSTS

If you own it in house - you can filter access and control it's typical 7 year storage cycle for legal records (finances et al).

Here's why I mention this

This Current Administration wants to mandate vaccinations at the business level and their initial grab was 100 employees. The minute they pass a law like this, the information on company employees then become MEDICAL PRIVACY DATA WITH THAT INDUSTRY SECURITY BAGGAGE AND AUDITING AND CONTROLS)

You fail control the minute that data is in the cloud.

We literally nearly had American businesses burdened with this SECURITY FACTOR at the CORPORATE LEVEL TRACKING MEDICAL VACCINATION RECORDS FOR THE FEDS

And if your current model doesn't fit the TIGHT SECURITY AND REGULATORY CONTROLS OF PHYSICAL CUSTODY AND ACCOUNTABILITY (You do not in the cloud) BAM - FINES BY THE FEDS and they now have additional revenues of TAXABLE ENFORCEMENT REVENUE TO FEED THEIR GLUT

I made sure I was thinking of the medical world (Toshiba and Philips) in my past life mentioned here, basing my fundamentals on as well as the Military classified systems management aspect - which is the RED and ORANGE BOOK BIBLES of INFOSEC, as well as Stock Broker and NASDAQ Regulatory financial security records management - all voice and or data (email or trade activity of all accounts) had to be recorded on CD-ROM write once with read access controls for 7 years, when auditors need to review that account and transactional histories, in enforcement and regulatory governance.

So the Tech firms are in bed with the Feds - I see it clearly and those who are not recognizing how regulations are tied to facets of this industry, as it evolves....it's best to own all your baggage at eh local employee level, than it is to factor in contracts and pay for the loss of physical control to your data.

To me - I pay to keep control versus paying to have someone else control me and costs and the complexities I've mentioned here
                          Last edited by AtTheWall; 12-10-2021, 08:34 AM.

Comment

One case of RANSOMWARE at a Corporate level and the local IT shop, who can't recover the attack are forced by the hacks to pay them 2 million dollars at our Corporate level / plus.

Just a common small Mom and Pop shop hit by Ransomware, the smallest extortion cost is 50 k

So there's a factor of hidden costs, related to the barrage of lawlessness now on the wire - the more you can shore up defenses in house, the more control you have.

I've been hit 3 times in 12 years with Ransomware. All three times were single user, controlled, and 2 hours later, restored and working with yesterday's data (or the data before the attack and the blew themselves up)

No down time to hacks - so many can not say this today.

Comment

Control Room Sup for major lubricants plant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                not anymore
                                i laughed out loud

Comment

Working...
                                X