GRXH 2022, Let's Go Brandon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
    You missed the very long bragging conversation and subsequent bet that followed. Taylor to FB, no rules, any route you want to take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tally Ho.

Well then….Ill bring a drone. I reckon we will need three drones…minimum. One for each boat and an overwatch.

Lets get licky!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeekeeper View Post
      Yes, we found some on willows 100 yds east of camp. We really need to scout Thursday next year for better yields.
      Cool. I wish I had asked in camp. Thatdve put a nice flavor to the gumbo.
      I (possibly) saw more on the the way out….whereas they looked aged brown. One willow was covered up for 10 feet of trunk.

Ill scout on the way in next year.

Comment

A Bad Day On The River or, How to Nearly Kill Yourself in a Boat!

TL;DR, Huntingfool's boat's steering broke and he nearly killed himself but pulled it out in the last second to end up with only a hole in the boat and a bleeding cut on his ear.

Huntingfool is our hero in this story, but first a little backstory.
        We have a bunch of boats on this hunt, we call it the Ranger Armada; most of these boats are not what you would call "nice" by most people's standards (except Epps and his glitter rig), but we love 'em and they get it done.

Granger is notoriously hard on boats, destroyed lower units, bent steering and busted hulls are the norm out here on any given year. Add to that that most of the fleet has some years on them and you a pretty good recipe for disaster at every hunt.

This year Huntingfool made it back out to the hunt, he hasn't been in a few years but he is an old hand at the hunt and around boats, he even used to work on them for a living.

So there we were, getting ready to head up river to pick up hunters, Huntingfool in his boat and me in mine, he was leading. Directly up river from camp is a pretty hard right curve, followed by an immediate harder curve to left and then an immediate even harder turn to the right; IOW, a pretty hard S curve in the river. On river left (right side heading up river) there is a boat killer stump that has been there for years, this year it also had a large tree stuck to it, which made it easy to see at least.

As soon as we get past the moored boats we hammer down on the throttle, as Huntingfool starts to make the turn to the right he swings waaaaay left, like he was drifting. And as I watched I thought to myself that his boat drifts almost as much as mine (and mine is legendary for drifting). But then, I see him look at me, reach for the throttle, miss it and start toward the far bank across the river at wide open throttle. Now, the far bank is a high bank, some 12 feet or so above the river elevation, with the aforementioned boat killer and giant washed up tree; all of which is in the path of his now runaway boat!

I thought to myself, "I'm about to see my friend die!" Thankfully, that didn't happen and he recovered somewhat, enough to turn the boat parallel to the bank, blasting through and over the downed washed up tree, water, busted tree branches and sticks exploding out from under the boat like wood shrapnel! The boat finally came to rest along the lower bank, now directly in from of him, and stopped.

As i motored up to him he was obviously at a loss for words, had a cut on his head that was bleeding, but otherwise none the worse for wear.

All of this happened in the span of about five seconds.

Something had gone terribly wrong I knew, but didn't know what until he tried to turn his steering wheel and nothing happened at the motor, the steerage was broken; and with no way to fix it in the field would require me to haul him out to the ramp.

At the ramp and back on the trailer we found a massive dent in the starboard side of the hull and a nice rip in the bottom of the hull that was taking on a lot of water.

All in all it could have been far worse, and in the moment I thought it would be worse but God watches over children and fools and this is Huntingfool after all!

Comment

certainly an interesting video

Comment

Glad things turned out kinda OK, that would never happen in a kayak!!! All kidding aside, glad no serious injuries occurred.

Comment

As promised, my GoPro caught the fight in the creek with the wounded boar I spotted. Trailed him 1.1 miles, before the vid started he charged me twice and I had to use my trad bow as a spear to push him off. I shot an arrow at his head on the first charge. Then it got down to beating him senseless with rocks and then cut his throat with knife. Out of arrows, it becomes a knife fight in a ditch.

GRXH 2022- Wounded boar fight in Creek - YouTube" style="display:none;">
              IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
              GRXH 2022- Wounded boar fight in Creek - YouTube')">GRXH 2022- Wounded boar fight in Creek - YouTube')"> I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
              GRXH 2022- Wounded boar fight in Creek - YouTube">GRXH 2022- Wounded boar fight in Creek - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Think I woulda kept that to myself….

Comment

I just realized I posted that story in the wrong thread...

Copy
                Paste
                Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  How did you end up with no backup given the number of folks that do the Granger Ranger?
                  I hunted longer than most. My bow is light, so I can carry it for many hours. And I had to run after the hog. Compounders wear out faster and don't have the stamina. Those beasts are heavy.

Comment

I hunted longer than most. My bow is light, so I can carry it for many hours. And I had to run after the hog. Compounders wear out faster and don't have the stamina. Those beasts are heavy.
                    Also, the Rangers don't always hunt in a group. Many acres/miles spread out along the San Gabriel river.

Comment

You get ready to test that stamina theory let me know [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        You get ready for shooting lessons let me know[emoji6]
                        This exactly

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It takes all kinds.

Comment

That wasn't a knife, it was a multi-tool.

Comment

We were taking HAM and other radio talk at the end. If any of you are looking into getting HAM license or even GMRS licenses. Check out chirps website for supported radios. You don’t have to use chirp, but it makes it so easy to keep configs consistent across radios.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                                We were taking HAM and other radio talk at the end. If any of you are looking into getting HAM license or even GMRS licenses. Check out chirps website for supported radios. You don’t have to use chirp, but it makes it so easy to keep configs consistent across radios.

I’m looking at a gmrs build for next year. Ham In A Can but with GMRS radio.

Comment

Working...
                                X