Oak tree problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oak tree problem

I have numerous oak trees with numerous scattered leaves turning yellow. Any ideas?

Following. My new live oaks I just planted have some leaves turning yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Need more iron throw some osmicote slow release on em

Comment

It’s fall. That’s what they are supposed to do. Or at least I think so.

Comment

Need A LOT more info.

What kind of "Oak"? In your area, there are over 10 varietals of "Oak" species. Only 2 of them is truly "Evergreen" this time of year.

Where is it turning yellow on the leaf? Are there spots. Circles or raised areas on the leaf?

Any recent environmental changes like pool runoff, water leaks, chemical applications, etc....?

Most importantly for this convo, do you have "good" pictures? Close up of both sides of the leaves (while still attached to the tree) and leaves that recently fell. Also l, take pics of the tree from a distance away where the entire tree can be seen.

Comment

Live oaks, although “evergreen”, cycle through leaves this time of year. Perfectly normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Comanchehunter View Post
              Live oaks, although “evergreen”, cycle through leaves this time of year. Perfectly normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              No, not quite. Live Oaks molt old leaves and put on new growth primarily from February-May. Some do it early, some are late each year. This would be very early if it is shedding old leaves for new. With the crazy freeze we had last year, it's entirely possible, but not likely.

Op, do you know what type of oak you have?

Comment

Pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211207_165941.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24670417
                Live oak

Comment

I have seen many of them in central Texas turning during this time. As Sackett states, it is unusual, but this whole year of weather has been quite unusual. I do not see any indication of oak wilt on that leaf. No "burned" tips, or veinal necrosis. My oaks are doing the same in northern Burnet County. I too, saw mine and thought I had a problem.

Comment

Mine are doing the same right up the road from yall. Had me a little worried as I've lost alot of trees after the freeze

Comment

Are these established trees or newly planted?

Comment

As previously stated, it is unusual for liveoaks to shed leaves and put on new leaves this time of the year. Not much you can do, but hopefully if new leaves start coming out, they will get a little size and maturity before we have a freeze. If the new tender leaves freeze, it could hurt the tree.

I would recommend keeping the trees well watered so that new leaves (if that is what is happening) can form and develop rapidly.

Comment

Out in the country not planted. Native trees 10" dia and down. Very rocky soil.

Comment

Pic you posted doesn’t look like what I call live oak.

Like sackett said…more pics needed.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                              Pic you posted doesn’t look like what I call live oak.

Like sackett said…more pics needed.
                              I would agree. I have been around live oaks most of my life, that don't look like any live oak, I have ever seen. Leaves too big, limbs don't look right either. Then I have never seen live oak leaves turn yellow, nor have I ever seen live oak leaves, that you could see light through them. They are vaguely the same shape as a live oak leaf, but that's about all.

All of the live oaks, I have been around drop their leaves in March, the leaves turn brown and fall off, they don't go through multiple colors, before falling, like trees that drop leaves in the fall. Then shortly after dropping their leaves, the start to bloom and then grow new leaves. You get lots of brown leaves on the ground, then oak pollen right afterwards.
                              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-08-2021, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X