How do y'all decide who hunts where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunted on a place for 20 years.
    All the hunters had a keychain with their name on it.
    Every morning we put them in a hat and drew. You could hunt that stand morning and evening if you wanted. If anyone wanted to change for the afternoon, those tags went back into the hat and were redrawn.
    Next morning, everyone drew again.

Comment

On my places, the teenage kids shoot culls. They may also "earn" the right to hunt trophy. X amount of hours put in through the year.

Comment

Our family uses a piece of plywood with a nail for each blind number. We have washers so you put a washer on the nail of the blind you're hunting. Cannot reserve. First person coming thru gate gets their pick. Show up earlier if you want a certain blind. Never had a problem that I know of. The hunting is free so I really don't want to hear about it! LOL!

Comment

Problem with making things fair is the emotional thinkers will still pitch a fit when they don't get their way.

Comment

Arm wrestle….

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
              We can usually agree on who hunts where cause none of our stands are much better than the other. We do have a deck of cards on the table and if there is a problem high card get first pick...We also stopped running cameras and that helped out also.
              Thats us. Just talk and agree, no rules. Disregard we've never had to draw cards always agree

Comment

Too much drama and hard feelings.

Drawing before each hunt for stand numbers after dad removes his stand number

BP

Comment

Divide the place in half. Each family gets one side and dad hunts either side. Solves the work issue. Take care of your side and your sister does likewise.

Comment

We just talk about it and agree. As each of us shoot one we generally let those who have not choose first.

Comment

We had a family lease for 22 years in Gillespie county.
                      Grandpa,uncles,my dad and us cousins/grandkids.
                      Everybody would have their own spot and would hunt it opening morning.
                      If someone got a deer we had an unwritten rule that whoever didn’t get a deer picked where they wanted to go and who had already got a deer set back and went to what ever was open.
                      Or we would talk between one another to decide where we wanted to go.
                      It worked good most of the time.

Comment

I've got a map of the ranch mounted on sheet metal. Everyone has a magnet with their name on it; they put their magnet on what stand they'll be in. So far first come first serve has worked out okay, even on weekends when everyone shows up.

Comment

At the risk of sounding a bit morbid, Christmas is gonna be interesting for your family once your old man passes. Hell hath no fury like siblings fighting over family land!

Comment

We draw for pick order on my lease. Wind and weather can make the "hot stand" different each hunt. So we do two dice in a cup. Highest number gets first pick and go from there.

Works out well for us.

Comment

We just draw numbers and then rotate through the stands for the weekend if its a full house. If just a couple people there we usually just ask each other where they want to hunt. If there's two that want the same we will flip a coin. We have 10 blinds and 5 hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                                Too much drama and hard feelings.

Drawing before each hunt for stand numbers after dad removes his stand number

BP
                                Agree, and we are trying to get rid of that. I think it will turn into drawing for stand choices and then rotating but we are trying to come up with a system.

Originally posted by mills650 View Post
                                I've got a map of the ranch mounted on sheet metal. Everyone has a magnet with their name on it; they put their magnet on what stand they'll be in. So far first come first serve has worked out okay, even on weekends when everyone shows up.
                                First come first serve has been mentioned several times. I may be overcomplicating this but is there a begin/end for when you can put your magnet up in your case or others that have mentioned it? Lets say you are talking about a Saturday evening hunt. Would the person that sleeps in Saturday morning be able to put his magnet up at 8 am for the evening hunt before everyone gets back from the morning hunt? Or the first one back to camp that morning that didn't see anything and left early? What about the Sunday morning hunt assuming a typical hunting weekend? Can the magnet be put up at 5:00 pm on Sat or does it have to be after a certain time? Again, probably overcomplicating things but how do you handle the early to rise, early to bed vs the stay up by the campfire for a while and then still hunt in the morning? As I get older I can also see the waking up at 2:00 am to take a **** factoring in. I'm sure it works but just trying to see how it works.

We have discussed putting up a dry erase shower board in the common area once the cabin is built where we can put names next to stands, etc. I think this will go a long way to solving some issues as it won't be done by text, etc.

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                                At the risk of sounding a bit morbid, Christmas is gonna be interesting for your family once your old man passes. Hell hath no fury like siblings fighting over family land!
                                Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that. It really isn't as bad as the initial post or even this post seems though. The weekends when everyone is there aren't too often and we have made it work so far. I'm just looking for a better way. We also do a pretty good job of keeping hunting issues in hunting camp and not taking them home. The real issue is entitlement all around whether the entitlement stems from amount of work put in, money put in or just showing up. All are guilty in some form or fashion. But, that is why I started this post to try to head off current and future disagreements by getting something in place that everyone agrees on.

Not that I wish it by any means but this aspect may actually improve if my dad weren't there. Some of y'all have said this is what I would do and if anyone doesn't like it they don't have to come. I would be all for that, make a decision and live with it. Part of the problem is he should make decisions he won't make and he is not consistent. For example one weekend last year before bed I discussed with him which stand he was going to (he ALWAYS gets first choice as he should) and then which stand I was going to and thought it was all figured out for the next morning. The next morning my BIL and niece (who had already gone to bed when stands were discussed the previous night) went to the stand I was going to go to (they did discuss it with him that morning while I was in the bathroom) and he didn't say anything about our previous conversation to them. Ultimately it wasn't a huge deal but still annoying and ridiculous for the previous night's conversation to not be brought back up. Situations like that are what I'm trying to avoid by coming up with a method we all agree on.

This year has just been worse because half the family is staying at the ranch and the other half is staying in town in hotels until we get a permanent cabin built. As soon as the hunt is over the ones staying there start a fire, cook, get generators going, etc and the ones staying in the hotel get in the truck and leave. So, there is no time taken to discuss who is hunting where. In the past and hopefully future everyone will be at the cabin so it will be a discussion and easy to draw cards, pick, etc.
                                Last edited by cehorn; 12-22-2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X