No announcement yet.

A lease without corn feeders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I build feed pens 48ft in circumference out of halved cattle panels and pour out 100lbs of corn a week in them on the ground. to me this works great for mature bucks.

For areas that I cant get to weekly I use what I call buffet tables as I feel deer are not near as shy around free choice feeders as they are timed feeders. I like to make a table about 3.5ft tall and put a 55 gallon barrel on top with two 1.5 inch holes drilled just above the bottom band so corn falls out onto the table. Deer will eat off the table and the corn stays up off the ground and the drum holds about 300lbs of corn.

Comment

I need a lease like this. Who has a spot opening up in STX?

Comment

I shot a 6+yo buck at a feeder second weekend of archery season.
        It's great to corn roads/senderos and hunt with a rifle. With a bow it's a little trickier. I've done it successfully and it's true the deer tend to eat there before going to the feeder. But it is always the same deer I see at my feeders.
        I do believe there are deer that avoid feeders. But they aren't all trophies.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

For bow blinds we spread corn out around it

Now for reference. Most broadcast feeders spin 15 seconds or less 2 times a day.
          That is probably half a pound.

I have put 2 tons of corn on the ground in 8 days this last month.
          I feed around 50-80lbs of corn on the road per blind per hunt.
          Gun or bow it does not matter.

But we counted 40 deer between 3 stands Monday.

Comment

If I did that here in East Texas this is what I would see.
            Attached Files

Comment

You couldn’t hunt our place without a feeder. Well, unless you were there every 2-3 days. We have killed 1 deer over 170,” a few deer over 150” and many 140” or over. I know that’s not that much compared to South Texas, but it is where we are. Feeders are a great tool on our place for killing a trophy.

Comment

Some deer ARE NOT feeder deer.. Set up cameras on roads and trails, away from feeders, and you will see bucks that never come around feeders.. Seen it many times..

Comment

I dont use blinds or feeders. I setup on natural runs and trails. No cameras. I like not knowing what's there. I just enjoy the challenge and the chase.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
                    I dont use blinds or feeders. I setup on natural runs and trails. No cameras. I like not knowing what's there. I just enjoy the challenge and the chase.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk
                    yep, did it most of my life and saw/killed many deer that way. Natural crossings, game trails, clear cuts, pipelines, instinct, etc. etc. Of course, other people on here think I'm egotistical, far from it. I just know what works.

Comment

I've hunted feeders and without feeders. All the bucks on my wall have never eaten corn or any bait.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                        You couldn’t hunt our place without a feeder. Well, unless you were there every 2-3 days. We have killed 1 deer over 170,” a few deer over 150” and many 140” or over. I know that’s not that much compared to South Texas, but it is where we are. Feeders are a great tool on our place for killing a trophy.
                        I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          If I did that here in East Texas this is what I would see.
                          And that's exactly what it looks like on our lease if you do this. They may not find it immediately, but when they do they've found it forever. You can not corn that spot for a year, but the next time you do they'll be on it they've been sitting there waiting that whole time.

Comment

I have been complaining for years about not seeing deer on my 40 acres in Harrison County. So, I put 2 corn feeders on it 2 years ago and have run them year round to try and pull deer onto the property. I'm surrounded by deer leases and property owners. This year my buddy came in and planted me a food plot. I hunted that property all last week and saw 2 deer and it was too dark to tell what they were. One feeder pooped out last week so I dumped it and pulled the battery and moved it out of the way. Now, I'm going to try having 1 feeder and hand corn. I only go about once a month so my hand corn will not be steady but I will pour it when I'm there and maybe freshen it with rice bran and I want to try the sweet feed. Its very difficult to hunt but I'm not giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                              I hunt about every other weekend and I road corn a lot. Probably 50lbs per sit because I have multiple senderos to look down. I have my feeder cranked way up and it throws a lot too. There are plenty of resident doe in the area because I see them in the senderos but very rarely at the feeder, even when no bucks are at the feeder. Its almost always the same handful of bucks that eat all the feeder corn. I'm getting the impression that there are resident does herds that just live in the area regardless of the feeder.
                              That’s a lot of road corn compared to what the feeder throws. Do you see a big difference in quality bucks on the road corn verses on the feeder that is there next to it?

I haven’t really done it much here recent but I used to tailgate feed heavy around my corn feeder at my bow blind. You’ll definitely have a lot more deer show up because of the extra 50lbs of corn on the ground vs what ever the corn amount the feeder throws. My feeder throws 7 times a day and the deer clean that up in minutes.

If you are talking about rifle hunting then no, you don’t need a feeder. Road Corning your senderos is very effective.
                              Last edited by Bone Thug; 12-01-2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I have not filled a feeder in 12-14 years at my lease. I have one in the back yard for fun

Comment

Working...
                                X