Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Dark skinned deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hays county

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Melanistic Deer. More info:
      However, a 1999 study by Dr. John T. Baccus and John C. Posey at Texas Tech University reported an incidence rate of 8.5 percent in an area covering eight central Texas counties: Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe, Hays, Travis, and Williamson. This is the highest known localized incidence rate of melanism anywhere in the whitetail’s range. This 8-county region straddles the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau Ecological Region (pictured below) and adjacent areas of the Blackland Prairie Ecological Region, known as Balcones Escarpment. This area holds the only known population of whitetails in North America experiencing melanism at a significantly elevated rate.

Comment

Our Latino deer are dark. Could be the Indian in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bad Bass View Post
          However, a 1999 study by Dr. John T. Baccus and John C. Posey at Texas Tech University reported an incidence rate of 8.5 percent in an area covering eight central Texas counties: Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe, Hays, Travis, and Williamson. This is the highest known localized incidence rate of melanism anywhere in the whitetail’s range. This 8-county region straddles the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau Ecological Region (pictured below) and adjacent areas of the Blackland Prairie Ecological Region, known as Balcones Escarpment. This area holds the only known population of whitetails in North America experiencing melanism at a significantly elevated rate.
          Interesting information about this color occurring in deer, thanks for posting BBB.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bad Bass View Post
            Yep. They are around in Wimberley.

Comment

Btw, to the OP, that is their hair not their skin. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Lmao [emoji1787] True !

Comment

Fairly common here.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter1 View Post
                    Hays county

Great get! Hopefully I can get one too!

Comment

One I saw in Lago Vista
                      Attached Files

Comment

Seen a few in Caldwell county. One buck had lighter colored antlers, the contrast probably made him look darker and antlers lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

You sure BoB?

Melanism

Definition
                          noun
                          The condition wherein an unusually high amount of melanin is produced and deposited resulting in the dark coloration of the skin, hair, eyes, plumage, or pelage.

Comment

Yep. I'm sure.

Comment

We have decent number here in Dripping Springs. Did I read right the study says 8% in some areas? That is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Some around Dripping Springs area also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X