No announcement yet.

Trailer light ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rewired one a couple weeks ago, never took the lights off. The lights wouldn't work, but had power to them. I had to clean up the steel and bolts where the lights bolt to the trailer. That was their ground and it was rusted up enough to where they wouldn't work.

Comment

Well I hard wired the grounds to the plug and not the frame . No change with my passenger side blinker or brake light . Replaced the light . Still nothing . Checked the fuse . That wasn’t it . I’m giving up for now . Tired of jacksss with it . Going to let a buddy or my brother in law figure it out . I’m starting thnk I’m going to hook it up to a different truck and see if anything changes. I haven’t hooked up to this trailer before . Might have an issue with my plug or factory harness . Can’t find my meter to check it .

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Always better to ground through the plug than than through the ball
        This

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
          I’d bet it’s a ground issue. Can you measure voltage on the light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I've had this be the problem as well.

Comment

I was having issues a couple months ago. I bought a new plug that plugs into the truck and was still having issues. I finally found my test light and had power all the way to the truck plug. Bought another plug and bam, back in business. That first new plug I bought was bad.
            Good luck figuring it out. I hate messing with trailer lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              Well I hard wired the grounds to the plug and not the frame . No change with my passenger side blinker or brake light . Replaced the light . Still nothing . Checked the fuse . That wasn’t it . I’m giving up for now . Tired of jacksss with it . Going to let a buddy or my brother in law figure it out . I’m starting thnk I’m going to hook it up to a different truck and see if anything changes. I haven’t hooked up to this trailer before . Might have an issue with my plug or factory harness . Can’t find my meter to check it .
              LED lights have a + and - side to light them.
              Are they dual function?
              I'm not sure which pigtail you are using.
              Have you tried unplugging the light at the back of it, flipping plug 180⁰ an then trying it?
              Have you removed the light and tested it at your truck battery? Use a spare pigtail plug it in 1 wire to hot 1 to ground. If it don't light up switch to the other battery post. If it lights up with white wire on the + post you the ground wire connected to + side of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                This

I did this today and still no passenger side lights . It’s on th same fuse as the right light . Those work .

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                  LED lights have a + and - side to light them.
                  Are they dual function?
                  I'm not sure which pigtail you are using.
                  Have you tried unplugging the light at the back of it, flipping plug 180⁰ an then trying it?
                  Have you removed the light and tested it at your truck battery? Use a spare pigtail plug it in 1 wire to hot 1 to ground. If it don't light up switch to the other battery post. If it lights up with white wire on the + post you the ground wire connected to + side of the light.

They are dual function. One works one don’t . Tested the new light before I put it on . It worked . I’m starting to think I might have ran a screw through my new wire . My fat *** is going to try to climb under and check it out . I’m already pretty frustrated with it . So I’m going to stop messing with it .

Comment

[emoji1303]
                    Been there more than once [emoji17]

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                      Do you have a test light or voltmeter? If not, you need to get one if you’re going to be dealing with trailer lights. Then you need to check and see if you have power to the light in question. If you have power, the light’s probably bad. If not, you have some other issue. Check to make sure everything is grounded good, and then you can use your test light or volt meter to see if you have power at your plug on your pickup. Working on trailer lights is pretty much a process of elimination.
                      What Raider4044 said is spot on, if your frustrated take a minute to go get a test light their cheap enough, start at the truck plug, turning brake light on check for power, blinker on check for power, running lights check for power you get the idea, once you've established power coming from all pins at the truck plug in your trailer, check each wire coming out of the trailer plug as you did the truck plug if you have power there than follow the wire to the light in question, make sure the wire is not bare somewhere and grounding out (this happens many times when the wire is ran over the axle and the trailer bottoms out the axle and smashes the wire exposing it to metal and gives you headaches looking for it), if the wire has power to the light than you have a light issue. Follow the power from the front to the back of the trailer, look by testing until you find where you lose power. I'm thinking you may have an issue with the truck plug since you said the light worked, testing with a test light is the easiest way to check it.
                      Hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

If it makes a difference I’m working on a 7 way plug .not a 4 wire set up .

Comment

You are welcome to come get my meter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                            You are welcome to come get my meter

I might have to take you up n that Joe . I’m done messing with it for the day . Fixing to fire up the pressure canner .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              I might have to take you up n that Joe . I’m done messing with it for the day . Fixing to fire up the pressure canner .
                              Just let me know

Comment

if led reverse the wires at the light to see if they are wired wrong internally

Comment

Working...
                                X