Looking for Chaparral WMA wisdom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    Yes cameras and rattling horns are definitely in my bag of tricks I'll be bringing.. I am a big fan of natural brush blinds over any type of pop up. I've killed plenty over the years right off the ground.. Popups seem to spook some deer I've noticed plus I like to be low profile. The lower the better. Dig a hole to put my feet in and set on a cushion, butt flat on the ground..
    I took a good pair of loppers and cut out a hole in some kind of bush for a natural ground blind. Had a real good buck on camera there, but never showed when I hunted it. I also took a lock on stand. I had plenty of mesquite trees big enough to get up about 12 feet.

Comment

Agree with charell. They honed in on my pop up. Close encounters out of brush blind. Did not have a tripod to try. I never saw what I wanted in bow range but had opportunities at legal deer just not chap quality I was looking for. Did shoot javelinas. Hunted it twice. The staff are very helpful. Well organized well run hunt

Comment

Good deer can be in any pasture. I see more javelina in the southeast pastures like South Jay and Rosinda but all the pastures have javelina.

Comment

After archery hunting twice there, I feel like I have a decent feel for what it takes to make it happen.

My go to is a 6 ft tripod tucked into some thick brush. Scout drainages in your unit and find intersecting trails with good deer sign. My other set ups are to dig a small pit just deep enough for my cam to clear in the middle of some heavy brush. Brush it in well with small shooting windows.

Spend the first afternoon perfecting your sets. Dont be so worried about hunting that you half-arse your sets. Have at least 2-3 sets for different winds and be prepared to move if they dont produce. Cameras help tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
            After archery hunting twice there, I feel like I have a decent feel for what it takes to make it happen.

My go to is a 6 ft tripod tucked into some thick brush. Scout drainages in your unit and find intersecting trails with good deer sign. My other set ups are to dig a small pit just deep enough for my cam to clear in the middle of some heavy brush. Brush it in well with small shooting windows.

Spend the first afternoon perfecting your sets. Dont be so worried about hunting that you half-arse your sets. Have at least 2-3 sets for different winds and be prepared to move if they dont produce. Cameras help tremendously.
            Good stuff!! I'm taking notes. I wasn't planning on taking short tripods but I do have two 4 footers.. I guess I need to load them up. And maybe even a tree stand..

Thanks Keep the tips coming..

Comment

I've bowhunted it twice and gun hunted once. Lots of good suggestions above. As far as the archery hunt, agree with SoloCam about spending quality time making sure you are well hidden. Either in a short tripod or on the ground. If you can see really well out of your ground stand in multiple directions, you probably aren't hidden well enough. Agree on SMALL shooting windows (I was busted twice in what I thought was a really good ground blind. My suggestion is brush things in really well THEN add a bunch more and you should be good. Not a fan of popups down there but if you use one, make sure it is hidden well.

Not many trees down there that will accomodate a typical tree stand, thus the recommendations on the tripods. Short ones are best and push them way back in brush/small trees.

As far as compartments, I'm sure anyone who has hunted there has their favorites but you probably aren't going to get many comments on those. Just know that every compartment down there has good deer. Also if you are looking for a truly good deer, BE selective. There are ALOT of 120-125 inch 8-pointers down there but plenty of 140-160 inch deer there to make it worth waiting. Good luck and hope you do a live hunt on this one.

Comment

Bow hunted it once. Learned a lot. I did not shoot but saw three big shooters on my trip. Just didn't work out for me.
                Popups-they spotted and avoided even well hidden. Short tripods are best and tuck them good in the brush. I did not try ground blind but I bet that would work. A lot of javis and pigs but I was there for a big buck. I drew on a big eight overlooking a pond but his doe spotted me and took him with her. My ex shot a javi and a pig and was covered in deer everyday, just all small. Any compartment is good from what I learned. Don't shy away from those close to headquarters just because you want distance or solitude. They are all good, even boundary compartments or those close to the highway/campground.

Comment

There have been tons of threads, I’d go back and read as many as you can. Most of what has been said is pretty accurate.

Comment

Good info fellas.. Keep it coming..

Comment

When I went they assigned a "guide" to show me around. He was a dozer operator and didn't really give much deer hunting advice. I spoke to one of the biologists later and he gave some pointers that helped immensely.

Comment

I have been there on three different youth hunts and never seen a rattle snake but we never moved off the road very far. We always drive the perimeter of our area with the GPS and mark it so we know where we can hunt. We have tried the established blinds but we have only shot things out of out popup blind or spot and stalk. The times we went Jav's and coyotes where every where. Also they have taken 4 WARTHOGS this year out of there so far. Good luck

Comment

If you draw North Jay pasture, shoot me a message. I hunted that area twice and have several spots on my huntstand app that I can share.

Comment

Working...
                          X