Any motor heads in here?

Any of y’all motors heads or work on smal block chevys
    I have. Couple questions about some cams for mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ace of Spades! Present

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
      The Ace of Spades! Present

I got a 82 Chevy c20 deluxe with a 454 that I I’m 350 swapping and I need a good cam so I can pull some power

Comment

So you are swapping a 350 in place of a 454? First statement is there is no replacement for displacement. However parts are cheaper for a small block.
        First cam question - what do you want the engine to do? High end hp or low end torque? Combination of both?
        Important fact, the cam will only work as good as the parts around it. The cam has to fit your setup or you have to change your setup for the cam.
        Call your favorite cam manufacture and get their recommendation. Be prepared with answers to the above questions plus: type of heads, intake, exhaust, manual or automatic trans ( torque converter stall speed), axle ratio and tire size.
        Good luck and have fun.

Comment

^^^^ he said it all

What will it do?

Who are its supporting cast members? A cam is only as good as the components that get it where it can work efficiently.

Any reputable cam manufacturers can guide you to an efficient choice with what your working with

Comment

You can get some really good top end packages that work. These new aluminum heads that are available are so much better than most cast iron SBC heads

Comment

The more power/speed, the more$$$$$$

Comment

A good daily driver cam with decent power without doing a bunch of other upgrades is one equal to the old factory 350 horse 350 cams. They build good torque in still easily drivable engines. That said, if you can keep the big block that is probably the better option

Comment

Rebuild the big block.

Comment

get an LS out of the junk yard. Can find cheap power and the swap kits are readily available. or keep the big block!

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                      So you are swapping a 350 in place of a 454? First statement is there is no replacement for displacement. However parts are cheaper for a small block.
                      First cam question - what do you want the engine to do? High end hp or low end torque? Combination of both?
                      Important fact, the cam will only work as good as the parts around it. The cam has to fit your setup or you have to change your setup for the cam.
                      Call your favorite cam manufacture and get their recommendation. Be prepared with answers to the above questions plus: type of heads, intake, exhaust, manual or automatic trans ( torque converter stall speed), axle ratio and tire size.
                      Good luck and have fun.
                      probably the best answer you can get

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                        Good luck and have fun.
                        This.

Comment

What are your real world expectations? Do you want it to sound great at a stoplight and drive like crap? Drive great? What bottom end? What fuel system? What heads? We need more info.

Why go SBC 350? Keep the BBC and accomplish the exact same!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                            get an LS out of the junk yard. Can find cheap power and the swap kits are readily available. or keep the big block!
                            ^^^^^ this

Comment

Keep the rat motor and build it!

Comment

Working...
                              X