No announcement yet.

High Shoulder Bow Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2yrs ago I hit a Toad of a Kansas Buck High in the shoulder. Tracked really good blood at about 40 yards from the impact spot and tracked him for another 250+ yds. He got to a fence and jumped it and no more blood was ever found. Never found the buck and not sure if he made it or not.
    I too know the feeling and it SUCKS. Learn from it and move on. Aim Small Miss Small

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      Obsession Sniper SS at 28in and 62lbs with a 490 grain arrow and Exodus 125 grain broadhead. Same set up has blown through multiple pigs and a doe this year. I’m not blaming my equipment. 100% shot placement.
      Thanks for that info. Almost exactly what I switched to. 28@60 V3, 100 grain Exodus 475 total.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

****UPDATE****

He’s alive and well. That didn’t take long. Shot was higher than I thought.

Comment

Great news ! Just as I suspected.

Comment

It happens to the best of us, I took a 20 yard shot on this doe a few years back. Hit slightly higher than I anticipated, shooting from my tree stand. Blood trail was what you described. Doe ended up back at the feeder few days later… I’m still stumped on how this missed a lung but Glad to see the deer recovered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              If that arrow is broke off in him, he's not gonna make it.
              I’m not sure why I keep seeing this? I’ve pulled parts of arrows out of 2 deer that I had no idea were even shot until I hit it with a knife. Both wounds were completely healed over and the deer appeared fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                Arrow broke off inside him? That deer is gonna get an infection and coyotes will get him. It sucks.

I’ve made high shots with pass through and the deer are fine, but I’ve never seen a deer again that had arrow break and remain in him.
                You say that, but my cousin shot a big 6 pt and when we were cleaning him we found about 4" of a broken off arrow stuck and broadhead buried in his spine. How that deer wasn't paralyzed is beyond me...broadhead hit bone and didn't touch the spinal chord. Upon closer examination, it turns out it was the same deer my cousin shot a year before and never recovered. The deer's body had healed around the broadhead and arrow and there was no infection.

I hit a doe high and forward (pass through) once and had trail camera pics of her back at the feeder about 4 weeks later. She eventually healed up like nothing happened.

They're tough critters

Comment

I owned a processing plant. I found dozens of arrow parts of deer that were doing just fine until they encountered another hunter.

Comment

I'll reiterate what so many others have said. There are several deer running around my 'neighborhood' with high shoulder scars. If you missed top of the lung, he lives. And it's also not abnormal to hit top of one lung and them live.

Comment

****UPDATE****

That's awesome. Hope that you get to shoot him again!

Comment

****UPDATE****

Good news! Now go get him!

Comment

Buddy of mine did something similar on Saturday evening. The deer was back at the same set up Monday.

Comment

****UPDATE****

Great news! sigh of relief, still have plenty of season left

Comment

Working...
                            X